Virginia Standards

I have a 96 GT that has cats but no mufflers. I am stationed at Naval Air Station Oceana which is in the Virginia Beach area. I am bringing the car up here from Nebraska. The law in Nebraska is that the car is required to have mufflers, same as Virginia. Nebraska does not enforce this law. Does anybody know how strongly Virginia enforces this? Anybody from Virginia? Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

yes VA enforces that law....just like every other state.....VA also has inspections as well...if you want to run a non mufflered car or anything o/r get to know a shop that will pass you...but why on earth would you want to run mufflers?

If you are military and have Nebraska plates I wouldn't worry about it because you will not be required to do the Virginia inspection. When I was stationed there I had many "illegal" vehicles, but I never had one issue because they were registered in Tennessee.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most states have a requirement that after so many consecutive days living there (30 here in PA), you have to have the car registered in that State. That all goes out the window though for the military. Keep it registered in Nebraska and don't worry about it.

btmain, I'm stationed at Naval Station Norfolk and in order to get your DOD stickers, no matter what state your vehicle is registered in, you will need to get your car inspected in Virginia which will fail since you do not have mufflers. Even if you do some how pass inspection the cops at the gate you are trying to enter will most likely stop you and may not let you enter the base.:flag:

Well thats great news! Haha! Well, I love the sound of my car without mufflers! I will just see how it goes when I get it here. Oceana is alot more chill than Norfolk so I dont know. If they tell me I have to then I will just get a new cat back. It will just give me an excuse to get one! Haha!! I will just see how it goes. Thanks!!