Voltage Regulator Q?

Leezure

May 10, 2005
I have an electric fuel pump wired directly to the positive side of the battery with a fused circuit. Whenever I increase the electrical load on the car (brake lights, turn signals) the fuel pump speeds up or slows down accordingly.

Would a voltage regulator help me in this situation? I'm running a Holley Blue pump so the noise is quite annoying and I assume that the change in power to the pump will also damage it over time.

• Sponsors (?)

The alternator has a voltage regulator built into it. Have your alternator checked out to make sure that it is working properly, it sounds like it may have problems. Most of the larger auto parts store will do it for free.

If you have a digital voltmeter and know how to use it, you can do a quick check by measuring the voltage across the battery with the engine running. A 94 Mustang with a good alternator should have 13.8 volts at idle and 14-15 volts at 1500 RPM.

attachment.php

My car is wired different than stock. I have a positive lead wired to the fuse block like normal.

The fuel pump is on its own circuit separate and apart from the chassis harness. It is wired like this:

Battery positive - 20 amp fuse - inertia switch - positive side of the pump - negative side of pump - ground.

Since the pump reacts to any load placed on the system (windows, lights etc.) and the alternator acts properly (14.5 volts at cruise) then what can I use to regulate the power going to the pump.

The pump is on its own circuit and does not draw power from the voltage regulator on the alternator.