Vortech A Trim Supercharger?

Codydubb

Nov 3, 2011
Preston, Id
Found someone selling an A Trim Supercharger...Says he wants around 1000 bucks but ive never heard of an A trim and it personally sounds kinda small... Says it has about 16000 miles on it.. Anyone running one of these or even heard of them? Worth the money or no?

• Sponsors (?)

That is an older Vortech that was last built in the early 2000's. Was a decent little blower, I don't think I would pay quite a grand for it though. The kits were only $1500-$1600 new iirc.

This is what it looks like under his hood

Attachments

• supercharger.jpg
    supercharger.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,404
i was thinking 800?
Also comes with an anderson DP and the blue Fuel Pressure Regulator Dont know the brand

I'd think $800 would be a more fair price. You can't spin the A trims real hard. I think 8 psi is about the max (maybe someone who has one will chime in) they can produce. That is just the FMU, you would want proper injectors, a tune, and fuel pump instead.

Pretty much everything you said checks...it was their first head unit. IIRC, it had straight cut impeller blades-like the older SN style Paxtons, but in a more compact package. You can cut your teeth on using it, and then find an S-trim later for more airflow later if you want...$800 would be more on par with a decent deal...as long as you get everything. After you get it, sell the FMU and BTM and use them to offset the cost of injectors and bigger pump...

We use to beat the snot out of the A-Trims, very durable little blowers....made 10-12psi

They use to have the A, B, R and X trim...then came the S, T and YS, XX, etc...

I agree with the others, you can find a newer S or SI trim for not much more in many cases...newer technology is al lot more efficent.

Reactions: 1 user
Insider info-

The guy is selling it because a couple years back, his buddy drove it and blew up his 306. The guy told me he was running aftermarket 19lbs injectors with a bigger fuel pump. Which me and codydubb call bull on 19lbs injectors, he says that he has a 6lbs Pully and a 9 lbs Pully.

I have a powerdyne bd11-a and have heard alot of negative about powerdyne. Would it be similar to the a trim?

Powerdynes have garnered a bad rep because bearings and belts fail. Even if you upgrade it, the input speed is limited by comparison to a Vortech or Paxton (Novi)...they can't put out anywhere near as much air, and don't have the longevity, aftermarket support, or upgradability. If you're dead set on having a low boost setup with nearly no noise, then sure the powerdyne will work, but don't expect to put down the same numbers as someone with an S-trim, Novi, or ATI...

Insider info-

The guy is selling it because a couple years back, his buddy drove it and blew up his 306. The guy told me he was running aftermarket 19lbs injectors with a bigger fuel pump. Which me and codydubb call bull on 19lbs injectors, he says that he has a 6lbs Pully and a 9 lbs Pully.

19lb injectors could be used with the FMU, as per Vortech instructions, BUT jacking up pressure that much (from the FMU) would probably cause the injectors to lock up...kinda difficult to control opening the pintle in front of 80lbs of fuel pressure...also kinda difficult to maintain that pressure/delivery volume even with a high pressure 255 add-on pump. When pressure goes up, volume drops...precipitously.

I used to run one on my car. Stock heads, full exhaust, 70MM TB, 77MM MAF, Typhoon intake were my mods at the time. Still had the 19# injectors and no FMU, but I had it tuned in person by SCT so no worries there. FWIW, it did run lean around 5500RPM with those small injectors.

Anyway, with the addition of a small 2.95" pulley on the blower I saw 295RWHP and 330TQ when on a Mustang Dyno. I can't recall the boost #s but that was the real-world power numbers and you know the Mustang Dynos tend to read lower than others. It was a great blower, and I loved it going through the stock heads. I had it on for a couple years and had zero problems. I think a grand for one nowadays, considering the alternative options you can come up with, is a bit much however.

I have an A-trim that I bought new back in 2001. Ive ran it on two different cars and currently running it on my notchback. I never changed the pulley and even after 11 years it still makes 5 lbs of boost and has never been rebuilt. Its a tough little booger. I know its only 5 lbs of boost but its still a lot of fun.

I have an 87 gt ttop car that was completely stock. When we first put the a trim on it was even still speed density and the car had its issues but it ran like a raped ape (other than idle issues). I even took it to ocean city cruise week which was a four hr trip for me, drove around the whole time and then drove back. Although when i got back i converted it to mass air. Alot better and as of right now the car is parked in front of my house and i can drive it any time i want to with no driveability issues. It is completely stock other than the blower and a high flow h pipe. IT STILL HAS THE MUFFLERS ON IT FROM FORD! STOCK EXHAUST! LOL.

Also it makes 6psi and for what the car is its pretty fast! Just an fmu on it and a boost ignition box. I'm not saying it will beat anything but it was pretty funny when that buzz bomb turbo honda hatch that he was gonna kick my stock mustangs ass. And my no exhaust "stock" t top walked him. I have no issues with my motor and its not that much boost so there should be no problem there. A little bit of black smoke every now and then but all good. Also my car only has 82,000 miles on it but u should still be good, especially if its a forged piston car then ur def good!