Vortech guys in here please....

• Sponsors (?)

you can put the cooler in and clock the blower in about 4 hours...some faster...some slower...but I'd say the first time having to drill all the holes 4-5 hours...once its done...you could reinstall it all in 2 hours
GI Joe

GI Joe 97/02 said:
you can put the cooler in and clock the blower in about 4 hours...some faster...some slower...but I'd say the first time having to drill all the holes 4-5 hours...once its done...you could reinstall it all in 2 hours
GI Joe

That's basically what i've been told...4 hours on average. Here's a question for ya Dave. If I installed a paxton a/a intercooler on my car and kept the same 3.60 pulley would I only lose about 2 psi and some hp but run cooler? Do I really need to pulley down...I'm NOT interested in rwhp as much as keeping my engine nice and cool.

DeadLurker said:
That's basically what i've been told...4 hours on average. Here's a question for ya Dave. If I installed a paxton a/a intercooler on my car and kept the same 3.60 pulley would I only lose about 2 psi and some hp but run cooler? Do I really need to pulley down...I'm NOT interested in rwhp as much as keeping my engine nice and cool.
Actually you will lose about 3 lbs with the paxton...you can figure between 45-55 hp for the boost loss. however, what happens is that because you are cooling the air intake temperature of the air that is going in,with the adaptive tune, it will make up about 40 of those hp because of that cooler, more dense air. So you could do that...or you could buy a 3.3 pulley from someone for @ $40-50 usually (used) and and add a cheap 50 hp back on top of that for about a 40 hp net gain and still be much safer with that 8 lbs than you were with the un cooled 8 lbs. in fact the AIT temps will go from 210 down to about 110 degrees. You could in fact, with out a doubt, run 10 lbs of intercooled boost and under the exact same conditions (both engines driven identical conditions) expect it to out last a non intercooled motor at 8 lbs.....Now with that said, neither are really pushing the envelope...a more realistic example would be a 10-11 lb non cooled and a 15-16 lbs cooled car.
btw...dont rush out and buy a cooler...Tim has something in the works to save you a few $$$.
Dave

GI Joe 97/02 said:
Actually you will lose about 3 lbs with the paxton...you can figure between 45-55 hp for the boost loss. however, what happens is that because you are cooling the air intake temperature of the air that is going in,with the adaptive tune, it will make up about 40 of those hp because of that cooler, more dense air. So you could do that...or you could buy a 3.3 pulley from someone for @ $40-50 usually (used) and and add a cheap 50 hp back on top of that for about a 40 hp net gain and still be much safer with that 8 lbs than you were with the un cooled 8 lbs. in fact the AIT temps will go from 210 down to about 110 degrees. You could in fact, with out a doubt, run 10 lbs of intercooled boost and under the exact same conditions (both engines driven identical conditions) expect it to out last a non intercooled motor at 8 lbs.....Now with that said, neither are really pushing the envelope...a more realistic example would be a 10-11 lb non cooled and a 15-16 lbs cooled car.
btw...dont rush out and buy a cooler...Tim has something in the works to save you a few $$$.
Dave

Well the thing is that I don't want to add the intercooler and then push myself up to 400rwhp+ area. I consider that area as micool said "the grey area" and I'd feel more comfortable around the 360rwhp area as I'm now. Even 350rwhp would be fine with me. I beat on my car A LOT and i'd feel more comfortable knowing that i'm not really pushing my car to it's limits everytime I go into boost. I'm not saying that my motor will last 100,000 miles just because I have 40 less hp but I just feel I gotta be "conservative".

I'm also at the track a lot and after 1 lap my engine gets so hot that if I really want to get teh same performance out of the car again on a 60 degree+ day I gotta let it cool down for an hour or two. With the intercooler I might have a little less hp but it wouldn't disappear as quick(in terms of once the car starts getting hot and timing starts to get pulled).

I'm just entertaining my the idea of an intercooler...any idea when Tim plans to have this new intercooler ready? and is this the air/water intercooler he spoke of before?

Also do i need a Vortech mini race bypass valve...to prevent any bucking or surging that may happen? I heard from some that they added that also when they got their intercoolers.

DeadLurker said:
Well the thing is that I don't want to add the intercooler and then push myself up to 400rwhp+ area. I consider that area as micool said "the grey area" and I'd feel more comfortable around the 360rwhp area as I'm now. Even 350rwhp would be fine with me. I beat on my car A LOT and i'd feel more comfortable knowing that i'm not really pushing my car to it's limits everytime I go into boost. I'm not saying that my motor will last 100,000 miles just because I have 40 less hp but I just feel I gotta be "conservative".

I'm also at the track a lot and after 1 lap my engine gets so hot that if I really want to get teh same performance out of the car again on a 60 degree+ day I gotta let it cool down for an hour or two. With the intercooler I might have a little less hp but it wouldn't disappear as quick(in terms of once the car starts getting hot and timing starts to get pulled).

I'm just entertaining my the idea of an intercooler...any idea when Tim plans to have this new intercooler ready? and is this the air/water intercooler he spoke of before?

Also do i need a Vortech mini race bypass valve...to prevent any bucking or surging that may happen? I heard from some that they added that also when they got their intercoolers.
OK on the boost issue...if you dont pulley down 1 size...you add 2 saftey factors....think of it that way...you are adding cooler boost, and you are adding less boost. If you want to feel good about pulleying down, look at it this way ...you are just going back to the same boost at the motor you had before...but you are adding the huge safety margin with the cooler. Even if you pully down, with 8 lbs you be like a 5lb uncooled car...thats waaay, waaay conservative...and if that what you want...thats fine...in my opinion though its a waste of money...because the way your car sits...it will last 100,000 miles.
I have a 97 with and strim making 8 lbs. Its back in Virginia. the car has 58,000 miles on it...57,500 of which are supercharged :D
Now dont be offended when i say its a waste...i'm just saying that the thing dont make enough heat to kill it at 8 lbs and at 5 lbs after the cooler is in...its like....."why dont i just go back to 8 and be safer than I was..."...see what I mean? You dont have to spend the money to be safe at 3.6 pulley and 8lbs...
But the bottom line is what you feel comfortable with....if that means spending $1300 to provide peace of mind...then I cant say a word...I spent 30 times that... :nice:

GI Joe 97/02 said:
OK on the boost issue...if you dont pulley down 1 size...you add 2 saftey factors....think of it that way...you are adding cooler boost, and you are adding less boost. If you want to feel good about pulleying down, look at it this way ...you are just going back to the same boost at the motor you had before...but you are adding the huge safety margin with the cooler. Even if you pully down, with 8 lbs you be like a 5lb uncooled car...thats waaay, waaay conservative...and if that what you want...thats fine...in my opinion though its a waste of money...because the way your car sits...it will last 100,000 miles.
I have a 97 with and strim making 8 lbs. Its back in Virginia. the car has 58,000 miles on it...57,500 of which are supercharged :D
Now dont be offended when i say its a waste...i'm just saying that the thing dont make enough heat to kill it at 8 lbs and at 5 lbs after the cooler is in...its like....."why dont i just go back to 8 and be safer than I was..."...see what I mean? You dont have to spend the money to be safe at 3.6 pulley and 8lbs...
But the bottom line is what you feel comfortable with....if that means spending $1300 to provide peace of mind...then I cant say a word...I spent 30 times that... :nice:

I'm not at all offended. The reason I want the intercooler is not to be safe...I already feel teh car is safe as it is...i'm just looking for consistancy...in terms of hot lapping the car and being able to run it back to back without having to worry that the car is warming up too much because it doesnt' have an intercooler.

In terms of safe...i'm talking about 400rwhp safe...not 360rwhp safe.

DeadLurker said:
I'm not at all offended. The reason I want the intercooler is not to be safe...I already feel teh car is safe as it is...i'm just looking for consistancy...in terms of hot lapping the car and being able to run it back to back without having to worry that the car is warming up too much because it doesnt' have an intercooler.

In terms of safe...i'm talking about 400rwhp safe...not 360rwhp safe.

yah, i carried a sprayer to the track to and put water and ice in it and sprayed that intercooler when I came back and cooled it right down...that was handy...

DeadLurker said:
So do you still think I need to pulley down?
Really I've given you the facts...only you can make the decision........
The great thing about your tune is you can put a cooler on and not change the pulley or tune...see what it does...dyno it, track test it, and then add a $50 pulley later and never have to tune it again as you know....so you cant go wrong by waiting...

GI Joe 97/02 said:
Really I've given you the facts...only you can make the decision........
The great thing about your tune is you can put a cooler on and not change the pulley or tune...see what it does...dyno it, track test it, and then add a $50 pulley later and never have to tune it again as you know....so you cant go wrong by waiting...

That's what I plan to do...try the 3.60 first...dyno it and see how it performs at the track...if im not happy then i'll pulley down.

I was just curious how much hp I'd probably be at...which you already answered and how much boost I would be seeing....which you also basically answered.

Now what do you think about the mini race thingy and if I need it?

DeadLurker said:
That's what I plan to do...try the 3.60 first...dyno it and see how it performs at the track...if im not happy then i'll pulley down.

I was just curious how much hp I'd probably be at...which you already answered and how much boost I would be seeing....which you also basically answered.

Now what do you think about the mini race thingy and if I need it?
Oh yea...forgot about that question....Man it's like a roll of the dice...I've never been able to get anyone to answer why, but the fact is...some cars need it with the paxton..and some do not...and no one seems to know why.....some can run 2 of the regular ones and get by. i tried that and still had bucking...the mini fixed it. You'll have to go with out it first and see. if you only make 5 lbs you may not need it. I can tell you that more NEED it than DON'T...about 75% need it...

Tigerdog(Rod) was the first of us guys down here to have this setup(as far as I know) and Tim tried to get rid of the bucking with the stock bypass and couldn't. Since then he highly recommends the mini race to everyone that puts the paxton on. One thing to remember when doing the paxton intercooler w/ the vortech supercharger is that some tube cutting and maybe some welding is required. Do you have a powerpipe, Kamran?

DeadLurker said:
In that case, my recommendation to you is to install the intercooler(heat exchange yourself) and have Tim weld and cut the tubing and send it out to you along with the power pipe. The power pipe will give you 2 extra lbs of boost(which you'll lose to the intercooler, anyways). You'll need to mount the Mini-race between the discharge tube and the powerpipe.

Here's a link to some pictures to help explain what I'm talking about: http://www.mikeandmel.com/Stang/Intercooler/

SmithAtlanta said:
In that case, my recommendation to you is to install the intercooler(heat exchange yourself) and have Tim weld and cut the tubing and send it out to you along with the power pipe. The power pipe will give you 2 extra lbs of boost(which you'll lose to the intercooler, anyways). You'll need to mount the Mini-race between the discharge tube and the powerpipe.

Here's a link to some pictures to help explain what I'm talking about: http://www.mikeandmel.com/Stang/Intercooler/
Thats a good reccomendation........ :nice:

Here's mine...

vortech_1.jpg

vortech_5.jpg