Vortech mongoose or D1-SC?

gtvertsoon

Apr 17, 2005
Port Tobacco, MD
I'm trying to find a good price on a blower to get with the money I'll make over the summer (just finished college junior year). I've been looking for cheap used kits so that I can save as much money as possible. I recently found a sweet D1 kit with 5k miles and new seals, plus a chip, boost pipe, RR pulley, 3 core intercooler and other stuff for $3100. Only other stuff I'd need would be injectors, fuel pump, and a MAF. I was thinking I'd probably have to get a tune as well unless the chip worked well enough. That would add up to over $4k, but would probably make 400whp easy.

My other option is a vortech mongoose kit with everything I need plus the tune for like $3800. Really not sure which one to go with. The mongoose would probably work out cheaper and have a great tune, but wouldnt make near as much power or have the ability for it in the future like the D1. Opinions? Comments?

• Sponsors (?)

You can make 500rwhp on the V2 vortech blowers. I believe Vortech rates them for use on engines up to 680hp. I myself have a Vortech Mongoose kit and, made the numbers in sig, have a 3.3" pulley which should be here tomorrow - and I'll be intercooling it later this summer...that is after I get a new clutch :nonono:

I am having the V2 installed right now and we are shooting for 420RWHP on 12psi. The vortech is a great kit and very reliable. I have seen some issues with the mounting brackets for procharger flexing under load and causing severe belt slip. I love the design of the procharger though.

You cant go wrong either way.