Vortech or Kenne bell

Vortech S-trim or Kenne bell

Im making the switch. Im selling the nitrous kit and going with a supercharger. I love the nitrous don't get me wrong but I need this kind of power on tap. Im looking at a vortech S-trim and a kenne bell both look like great superchargers but which one is best. Ill probably start out with about 6-8 psi. Any input on the subject would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

What are your intentions for the car...is it mostly a street car or does it spend a lot of time at the strip? The KB is amazing for street cars...full boost by 2100 rpm. We just put one on my buddies 94 gt and it's insane. On the other hand centrifugals make a lot of power..especially up top.

Yeah, my buddies 88 LX and 89 GT were both treated to a KB supercharger. Man, that was some of the funnest rides I have ever taken part in. With only the 1.8 and turned about 10 psi, I don't think he ever lost a race on the street because the Vortech and such took time to get their RPMs going. Spinning through three gears was so much fun, all that power at virtually and speed and any gear is what makes the KB my choice. However, like said above, the centifugal blowers like vortech make a lot more output once the RPM's get giong, which would probably after some tuning cut down most KB cars. Go for the KB, its self contained, sits right on top of your stock intake if you get the smaller one without the GT-40 style outlet, and is the ulitmate sleeper supercharger. Its absolutely silent, my old idler pulley was louder than it!

JUST NOTICED: Looks like you have a ported Cobra lower, so go get yourself the 2.2 Blowzilla/Flowzilla (not making this up if you are unfamiliar with KB, thats what they call there higher performance supercharger/higher flowing outlet tube) and with the mods you have and up to 22 psi, you could be king of the road! It comes with a bypass also, so you don't alway have to get that high PSI if you don't want it.

Go vortec. I know kb,kb,kb is what your gonna hear but you'll go faster w/ the vortec unit, make MORE power and probably have an easier time driving the car. Okay, kb make nasty tourqe at low rpms, thats cool...I don't race at low rpms and more than likely you don't either. Kb IS limited on the 1.5 kit to not much over 8psi then the intake charge heats like a champ. Vortec on the other hand w/ the after cooler option I've seen 430+whp w/ a nice afr on 42lbs inj...pay alittle more now imo

I say Kenne Bell. I drove a Vorteched Mustang, it was cool, pretty quick. Then i tried a KB'd car, and my decision was clear after that. I have no intentions of ever making my car into a drag warrior, just a fun car. KB was for me. Some things I'm experiencing with mine (KB1500)...makes 9psi after pulley swap, no pinging (93 Octane, 9 degrees base, stock fuel "system"), I know that's playing with fire...but it works.....I'm not much into the track so no times, no HP/Tq #'s for you either, but in red light to red light traffic people look at you like your sick...light turns green, I drive as casually as possible now and before I konw it I'm about 5 cars lengths in front of them...stop at next light and they just look at you like your some type of hellion....guess that's what torque does to people. Good Luck

94GTLaserRC said:
If KB is sooooooooooo much better, why are there almost NONE on this board, and lots of Vortechs?

Why dont you ask JR? He had a Vortech and was doing fine....Switched to a KB and ditched it in about a month....TOO many problems.

RC

I would not hold firm on the statement that the KB is better than the Vortech. The Vortech will put forth its best effort at mid range rpm's and higher where the KB is the opposite. IMHO, I think the KB with all of its low end torque, would be more fun on a Street Car.

If I had plans to go to the 1/4 mile on the weekends, or the car was more Strip than Street Car, then I would go for the Vortech over the KB.

Was it JR who bought his KB used and after he put it on discovered it had bad seals that caused excessive oil consumption or something like that?

Later
Grady

final5-0 said:
Was it JR who bought his KB used and after he put it on discovered it had bad seals that caused excessive oil consumption or something like that?

Later
Grady
Yes that was JR. I'm going with what grady is saying. If its going to be a fun street car defently go with the KB, but if you're going to use it mostly as a strip car the Vortech is probably a better bet.

I think many people dont have the KB's on our cars because they are afraid to try them out... Everyone had the vortech, novi, etc they have been proven to work, but not many know about the KB's or are too afraid to try them out. And if anyone thinks the KB's are junk, then why are they basically the first mod all of the 03/04 cobra guys do to their cars?

Yep bad seals caused me to get rid of mine but it was soo much damn fun when it was on. Decisions on a blower set up are always hard to make when you plop down the big $$$ for this mod.
Things you should consider are pros and cons of each set-up.
With the KB the stock fpr must be utilized or custom something to get by that hurdle. You have to use the stock valve covers. I had to keep so much tension on the belt to keep it from slipping and it puts strain on the alternator and ps shafts (my exp).
Best thing is it's self contained and you won't need to tap the pan and install is super easy. I have not seen an intercooled KB set-up yet.
The best way to drive a kb car in the city is short shift @4K through the box and you suddenly are in another zip code in a few secs! :nice:

Enough explanations and I won't even go into the S-Trim set-up b/c you have plenty of folks that can chime in on those. I had n2o for my first power adder and it was fun also but for the best power adder "IMO" is turbo.
I have never felt more power out of this stock block with any of the others.
I know that a turbo was not in your interest b/c it wasn't part of you question but you should consider it.
You can ajust the boost w/o having to change the damn pulley and tension the belt!

KB
chili.gif

... just my .02 cents
america.gif

Im glad you chimed in JR, or SC, or 94 Turbo, or whatever the h3ll your name is these days :lol:

If youre looking for outside help in installing, more people are familiar with the Vortech in local shops ( I believe). Any of those is AWESOME when you go from fairly stock.

Im actually now in favor of a big A$$ motor and leaving it N/A. Id like to do that now, but I have to wait a year or 2.

My Vortech will be for sale then.

RC