Vortech owners, come on it!

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
Largo, FL
So, once I get my car to a reliable DD status, I plan on buying my mom's 05 v6 coupe from her since she's buying a Challenger. After I have another car to drive, I want to make some big-boy power. :rlaugh:

I'm looking into a Vortech v3 kit, and was wondering how the sound is both at idle and WOT? Also, I've heard of people adding blow-off valves to centri superchargers - can this be done? I know it's show-offy... But a friend of mine recently finished swapping a TT motor into his 300zx 2+2, and the sound of the turbos spooling, followed by those blow off valves is just sick!

Also, on a bone stock motor, what kind of power gains should I see at the wheels? I plan on running only 5 psi or so, and running a small shot of nitrous for the track, since I live in Florida and would prefer to not run a 400rwhp car in the rain all the time...

• Sponsors (?)

I had a ZEN blow off valve on my MR2, and it sounded awesome. I never got tired of that sound. I've seen a lot of the big blower kits with blow off valves, but I never quite caught the point of it since, the blower is belt driven.

Kurt

I had a ZEN blow off valve on my MR2, and it sounded awesome. I never got tired of that sound. I've seen a lot of the big blower kits with blow off valves, but I never quite caught the point of it since, the blower is belt driven.

Kurt

Me either but... The little bit of ricer in me wants a BOV. :rlaugh: My friend's got two of the HKS SQV (I think) in his 300zx. They sound so awesome!

i haven't heard the v3s. they are relatively new to the vortech line. its their first attempt at self containment. i think its supposed to be the same noise level as the v2sqs, but i could be wrong. you can't really hear it much but you know its there. the v1s, your neighbor at the other end of the block knows its there too.

as far as power with stock, you should see 350 or so i would think.

blow-off valve :nonono: its not the same. there is no blowoff valve, its a bypass valve. not the same thing. it doesn't make any noise as you don't have excessive boost that you need to get rid of as the boost is RPM specific. i've heard of people putting blow-off valves on blowers but its not useful in anyway and just more difficult ducting.

i haven't heard the v3s. they are relatively new to the vortech line. its their first attempt at self containment. i think its supposed to be the same noise level as the v2sqs, but i could be wrong. you can't really hear it much but you know its there. the v1s, your neighbor at the other end of the block knows its there too.

as far as power with stock, you should see 350 or so i would think.

blow-off valve :nonono: its not the same. there is no blowoff valve, its a bypass valve. not the same thing. it doesn't make any noise as you don't have excessive boost that you need to get rid of as the boost is RPM specific. i've heard of people putting blow-off valves on blowers but its not useful in anyway and just more difficult ducting.
Gotcha, and yeah I've heard about the v1 units, however they're more expensive on Vortech's site, and also require me to tap into the oil pan, whereas the v3 units are self-oiled, which I really like.

In order to run a blow off valve, you would have to switch to a blowthru mass air setup like with a procharger.. Otherwise, you CANNOT vent the air to the atmosphere and must use a bypass valve (same thing, but sends air back into intake)

No, I'm not talking about a bypass valve like they have on the Lightning engines. I have seen straight up blow off valves on big blower cars that vent to the atmosphere. I don't see why they have them, but given the caliber of the car I'm sure there is a reason.

Kurt