Vortech Owners--Info Please

d98gt

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
SE Texas
I have an opportunity to pick up a v1 s-trim for an outrageously low price. The kit is still NEW and still wrapped in plastic, however the owner did go ahead and install the fuel pump so the kit is lacking that. Now here is where the questions come in; the kit was purchased for a 2001 4.6, while obviously I have a 1998. What am I going to need different to make this work on my car?

Just for some info:my car is a complete pi swapped car as of now and the pistons are no longer NPI pistons(bought some take outs from a dss motor) and my rods have also been upgraded so I am not worried about this.

I have read just a small amount of information concerning these kits and it seems to be a decent setup. The whine shouldn't bother me however I want to ensure that I have everything to make this work while the motor is out of the car.

What am I going to need to get this to work on my 98? Am I going to run into any problems? I can buy a 255 fuel pump for cheap so that isn't much of a concern, though any info is appreciated greatly.

:SNSign:

--Maddox

• Sponsors (?)

you will definatly need a bracket for a 98 car. other than that it's about the same. make sure it has the updated pulley setup too. if it has a really small idler pulley in the kit than it's the old style. :notnice: the new one has a bigger idler pulley and moves it closer to the supercharger for better belt wrap and less slip possibility. get a 255 lph pump for sure. a lightning maf and at least 39 lb injectors. if you want a good intake pipe....anderson power pipe ftw. :nice: intercooler or meth injection is huge in making good power safetly. i'm sure others will chime in as well. :SNSign:

I haven't yet seen the kit in person, however have been talking about the kit all day with the owner. He did manage to attach this picture to me, though
3ne3ma3p9ZZZZZZZZZ93s56a6f8814ffc1b94.jpg
3n43pc3l4ZZZZZZZZZ93sc2334c39b31f1890.jpg
unsure how much of a help that would be.

The kit has injectors that have came with it as this wasn't purchased as a tuner kit; it was a full kit to my understanding. He got excited about it and installed the fuel pump since he had the knowhow--and thats about as far as he got with it :rlaugh: I have looked into the injection though there is a possibility to go the custom fmic route as well since the car is down and the motor is out of the car.

Where would I go about purchasing just the bracket rather than the entire kit?

I was just thinking that the bracket only is all that I would need. I appreciate the links stanggt1995 :nice:

It's hard to pass on a complete kit (minus the pump) for less than half of the worth :D

Absolutely! I pieced together the kit on my 95 after buying a head unit off another member here. Since the price drop on Vortech kits, I probably ended up saving maybe $20-30 over a complete kit, but I still feel like it was worth it. :nice:

He is wanting $1500 obo for the kit so I can't pass on the deal. I hate to lowball him but I might even get it for the 1300 area :rlaugh: This deal is just too good to pass up and never have I once ever thought the car would have a blower on it--I'll accept a pm from you bobc even though I am not a show car by any means ;)

Alright so I purchased the kit and have a few more questions now. The 99+ kits don't come with a fuel management unit so I will have to purchase one of them, which they aren't expensive (even if purchased from vortech), though which am I going to need to purchase?

Apparently the 96-98 vortech kits don't come with injectors, though I am going to install the 38lb injectors that have came with the kit I purchased. I have to also install a fuel pump and I believe I will get a 255lph unit, does that sound about right?

My main question is...which fmu kit do I need since I am not going to use the stock injectors? :shrug: :rlaugh:

dont even bother with the fmu. just get yourself some good size injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and you'll be fine. the majority of the guys(including myself) dont use that worthless fmu. get a 255 lph pump from summit and maybe even a boost-a-pump from kenne bell. i personally am running a walboro 255 pump with a t-rex external pump and it works great.

That'll be the route that I go then :nice: I am only going to run the stock pulley for the time being though should I pick up a lmaf? :shrug:

I'm just trying to compile all of the parts that I need now, rather than running into a problem during the install. The front mount idea sounded great, however I am going to the dyno to get tuned and such to make sure that I will benefit since I am on the stock pulley.

I bypassed the LMAF completely and went with the SCT BA-2400 meter, since the LMAF pegs somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 HP, whereas the SCT will go up to 650 (IIRC) in a forced induction application. It might be a worthwhile investment, if you're planning to eclipse the 450 HP number, at some point.

a lightning maf will be an upgrade and i would recommend it, but is not necessary i guess if you dont want to. check into buyfordracing.com...they have a outstanding deal on a set of 42# injectors and a lightning maf.

Well I already have the injectors of which came with the kit so that isn't a problem. I know that I will likely look at this later on down the road and laugh, however for the time being I don't plan on being over 400+.

My car isn't going to slam down huge dyno numbers by any means (auto/stall/etc) I just want it to operate safely and to be able to handle what I do throw at it. I appreciate all the info that you guys are sharing with me; as you can tell, the entire FI concept is brand new to me.

You are going to need a fuel rail from a 97 to accommodate the regulator. On our 98's...the fuel pressure regulator is built in...just a fuel rail from a 97, it will bolt right on...then you can use the regulator..

I bought my kit the same as you did...just needed the bracket...you will also need a bracket to hold the passenger side coil pack, the bolts to attach the bracket...they are super long...you have to call Vortech and get them directly...as they are not the same on our blocks for some reason...

You are going to need a bunch of other stuff...it isn't expensive..and I can't remember what it all is...you will find out as you go...

Get a SCT chip and get it dyno tuned as well...

here is a link to my page which may help you visualize a little bit...I have pics on there..

http://www.6to8mustang.com/mustang/

Let me know if you have any other questions...

I was going to actually relocate my coil packs as that isn't a big deal and I think I can accomplish a clean look by putting them in a different location.

Luckily due to my location I have some good local 2v tuners within distance that I will trailer the car to. I have a programmer though I will go whichever route that the tuner of my choice prefers as I want the tuner to be knowledgeable with whatever he is working with haha.

With the engine out of the car, all of these little modifications aren't going to be difficult to manage, and I will begin my search for some 96-97 rails which should be rather inexpensive.

I was going to actually relocate my coil packs as that isn't a big deal and I think I can accomplish a clean look by putting them in a different location.

Luckily due to my location I have some good local 2v tuners within distance that I will trailer the car to. I have a programmer though I will go whichever route that the tuner of my choice prefers as I want the tuner to be knowledgeable with whatever he is working with haha.

With the engine out of the car, all of these little modifications aren't going to be difficult to manage, and I will begin my search for some 96-97 rails which should be rather inexpensive.

1997 only...1996 won't fit...