Vortech Tune Question

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
I'm wanting to put the vortech kit on the 95 gt and I'm going to have to use the fmu for awhile. The car has been tuned before because the dumb-a builder put a carb cam in and it wouldn't run. A few months ago I had it tuned again w an intake change. Do y'all think I will run into any problems with the charger w out tune? Will it even at least run good enough to drive it to get a tune? I hear I'm to set timing at 10* w vortech I'm just worried by doing so it'll mess something up. Honestly it could be at 10 now I dunno but it seems like maybe it wouldn't be since its been tuned.
Ps: I'm pretty tune retarted.

• Sponsors (?)

From my expierience most tuners have a base setting of 10* and they add or subtract in the tune fwiw. Doesn't mean that's what yours is set at presently. Like previously stated stay out of boost until you get it tuned and you should be fine(if your present timing is low enough) ie not at 14* or equivalent.

follow the instructions in the Vortech manual you get with the kit and you'll be fine, It's not like this hasn't been done for 25 years in thousands of cars already. Call their tech dept if you get into any problems. Like everyone said, do not hammer it until you get a safe tune.

If you are going to ditch the FMU- get a set of 36 or 42 lbers and a matching MAF, then get a tune/chip. The FMU is just a band aid on the FPR. Make sure you have the right color disc in the FMU for your injectors.

Step down to colder plugs and adjust your gap accordingly.

Take your time. Don't rush. The Vortech instructions are some of the most detailed out there with pictures and step by step. The hardest part is tapping the oil pan- more nerves than anything else. I'd recommend you buy an belt adjuster from either Rick Anderson or maybe ebay.
The newer head units are self contained and therefore don't require the oil pan tapping process which a.) relieves a lot of stress and b.) speeds up the over all install. There have been no longevity issues at all since they have switched to a self contained unit such as the V3 Si

Reactions: 1 user
The newer head units are self contained and therefore don't require the oil pan tapping process which a.) relieves a lot of stress and b.) speeds up the over all install. There have been no longevity issues at all since they have switched to a self contained unit such as the V3 Si

I thought only the base VS3 was self contained. Shows you what I know. Haven't done a blower install in 10 years.lol.

If that is the case then damn, the install is nearly idiot proof. Just remove the stock stuff, assemble the Vortech bracket, install with the pulleys, brackets and head unit, fix the upper rad hose, new plugs, install the FMU, set timing and your off to the races. Don't even half to do an oil change. Can't be more than a 4-5 hour deal for the experienced guy or weekend for the average shade tree taking his time.

Reactions: 1 users