vs. 94-95 civic?

91_4ourBanger

Feb 8, 2004
this guy at work seems pretty confident he can beat me, but i know my car is slow as hell. he has a 94-95ish civic DX i think it had about the same HP as me, but alot less torque. but im sure his car weighs alot less. im not sure if his car is a stick or not, but it might be. my car is a 91 2.3 n/a stock with automatic. so what do you guys think, the next time i see him i'll tell him i'll race.

• Sponsors (?)

Hate to say it, but you'd lose. His car weighs a hundred pounds or so less (if not more) and the Automatic 2.3's are just plain dogs. It might be close if he has an automatic too, but if he has a 5-speed kiss it good bye.

What cars can stock n/a 2.3 auto beat?? You could probably count the number of cars on one hand. (just messing with you man, no hard feelings :nice: )

Food for thought.
I raced a stock 2.3 N/A 5spd and here's his timeslip.
R/T: .868
60': 2.527
330: 7.694
1/8: 12.105
MPH: 55.18

A friends 94 civic stock auto (don't know any details) don't think it matters
R/T: .611
60': 2.41
330: 7.28
1/8: 11.60
MPH: 60.2

hahahaha, ditto.
I just try not to race anything in my car . . .ever :rolleyes:
I'll save myself the embarassment and the gas (it's damned pricey these days)
Until you are confident in what you will do to your car to make it go faster, you're best bet is to just leave it lie

i dont understand, the power numbers are in my favor, how could he still win?
stock numbers

me: 105hp
him:102hp

me:130ft lbs
him:90ft lbs

and if he only weighs 100lbs less that wouldnt make too much of a difference.
if we are both autos i dont see how the hell i could possibly lose, i think if we raced from a stop i could get him off the line with my rwd drive? and im sure he wouldnt know to manually shift gears in an automatic.

91_4ourBanger said:
i dont understand, the power numbers are in my favor, how could he still win?
stock numbers

me: 105hp
him:102hp

me:130ft lbs
him:90ft lbs

and if he only weighs 100lbs less that wouldnt make too much of a difference.
if we are both autos i dont see how the hell i could possibly lose, i think if we raced from a stop i could get him off the line with my rwd drive? and im sure he wouldnt know to manually shift gears in an automatic.
Doesn't mean much he probably doesn't make enough power to spin either.

JamesBaumann said:
Look at it this way, which is the cooler car to have, a 94 civic or a 91 Mustang? Doesn't matter if he can beat ya, at the end of the day he's still stuck driving a Honda where you drive away in a Mustang.

there id have to disagree with you, yes a mustang is cooler, but not a 4 cylinder mustang that loses to hondas...

and its not that he insists on racing, he just wants to, we are just 17 year olds.

Alright, if thats the case, then save up a little money over the summer while you're out of school, do a turbo swap or do some engine work and next September ask him, "oh by the way, do you still want to race?" Just dont tell him you made any modifications and make him feel bad about driving a Honda. Wooo, that'd show em.

JamesBaumann said:
Alright, if thats the case, then save up a little money over the summer while you're out of school, do a turbo swap or do some engine work and next September ask him, "oh by the way, do you still want to race?" Just dont tell him you made any modifications and make him feel bad about driving a Honda. Wooo, that'd show em.

close but do what I did and tell him that you changed for exhaust and now there's a great big restriction in it:D
boy were they suprised at my new exhaust.

ive decided that im putting off the turbo swap until either i start back school up and do it in autotech class. or just wait til i graduate so i have more money. i know i know, i keep putting it off but right now i just dont have the funds or the time to do anything to my car.