wanna go 347 but dont know which way to go

cb18201

Oct 25, 2003
CT
should i get the ford 347 short block for $2295 or should i just use my 86k mile block and get a 347 street fighter stroker kit for $1395. the kit comes with forged pistons and the short block doesnt. mustangs unlimited seels these both but im not sure what i should do cause for $900 more i can get the short block. are these short blocks any good? also does anyone know if that trick flow top end kit from summit will work with a 347 like this? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i just wasnt sure about getting a short block without forged pistons but im not gonna have some crazy 800hp motor so it should be fine with those hypereutectic ones

now that i have added up what it would cost me in part to go the short block way, i think it would be cheaper for me to get a dss 347 or 357 long block with trickflow or afr heads. its $5000 with the twisted wedge heads, a ford racing cam,lifters,and pushrods. and for it with the afr heads its $5200. are dss motors any good?

which ford cam should i get with the dss 347? i want one that has decent low end mind range an top end, i have 430s so i actually prbably dont need a low end cam. should i get the B,E,F,or X, i want that choppy idle too so it sounds real mean, i was thinkin the x would be good with the trick flow heads and ide get a trick flow intake manifold, street or track heat, idk yet

Put a REAL cam in it. Heres what i'd do. *Disclaimer* do not read any further if you do NOT want to go fast! Ok, since your set on TW heads, run a TFS R intake, 75mm TB and a custom grind cam. I'd use either jay allen or ed curtis. I'd choose jay personally. Keep in mind, this is comming from someone with an ed c cam :) You'll NEED an 1 3/4" longtube and at least a 30lb injector. Shoot for 10.5+ compression. The 430 is a bit overkill IMO for a street car.

well from dss the long blocks come with cams but you can get another cam for more money, they also will install a comp cams cam, crane ,crower and anderson. what is wrong with the ford racing cams?

so you think the 347 dss with the trickflow TW heads, a trickflow 75mm R intake and 75mm TB, 30lb injectors w/new mass air would work well together? the R intake or 75mm TB isnt over kill for the 347?

cb18201 said:
the R intake or 75mm TB isnt over kill for the 347?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Its IDEAL!! Do NOT let the internet myths and/or internet racers get the best of you. Just smile and laugh while they wollow in the 14's desperatly trying to get out while reading their MM&FF magazines, LOLOL!! Thats the exact set up I was gonna do, but decided against it for now because it too much money and I just spent $2,000 on parts to do a tremec tko and ALL the supporting stuff including a mcleod blow proof bell, 31 spline fms alum driveshaft, new rear main, and a mcleod clutch with king cobra pressure plate.

I'll be buying a 75mm TB for my tiny 302 very soon.

how much horse do you think i would be putting out to the wheels with that set up an the custom cam? also would this set up and the custom cam be good with my gears? or does it not even really matter what gears you have unless you have a power adder?