Build Thread Want To Blow 5 Years And $50k On A Foxbody? Step By Step Instructions Inside!

Oh Mike. There's just no pleasing you! Once I get a better roll bar camera mount that can hold my DSLR camera without it falling forward over bumps, I'll have some better videos for you. Well, my racecar driver will have videos for you. Unless you just want to see me cruising to the Walmart?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Yea, I didn't get much higher that 4500 at any point that day. Too much damn traffic around. I'll get a video of a 4th gear highway pull on a Sunday evening eventually.

I blew the turbo manifold gasket yesterday. The car suddenly sounded like a jet plane. That what I get for not checking the manifold bolts.

Also, the breather is still huffing at hot idle with just the lines from each valve cover. It's definitely better with the third line removed, but it still annoys me. I need to make some changes to the setup. I think it has to do with not only the tank itself, but also the location. The firewall area stays very hot. Vapor needs a chance to cool so it can turn to liquid, and that's not going to happen where the breather is now. I think it may be best to get a breather like Nick recommended and also locate it in the fender. The longer lines and a cooler location should really help.

The idea of removing the existing breather haunts me. I think I need to pull part of the dash to get to the top bolt. Talk about poor planning!

Last edited:
Man your car in unbeleavable, I came across it on IG, and followed your link over here.

I spent the last 2 days reading all 125 pages, and I'm totally blown away! Congrats on everything!!

I just finally got my car back from paint last week, and am now starting the pain stacking process of putting it back together, theres a lot of things Im definetly "borrowing" from your build.

Just in case no one has said it, thanks for taking the time to post all the information, and pics for us guys to get ideas/motivation from, it mean a lot.

Todd

Reactions: 4 users
Hot stuff!

9e03097a13f35093eeedfcfe2b4cbfd6.jpg

68bb19ce4b5b4b4239d6707f604c65d3.jpg

9a6fe4666cc3836c45d8e88583c77f87.jpg

6b9565b6ecda48ad0a62f4fdee0e5dc6.jpg

This was after a 15 minute drive without much hard acceleration, so things aren't as hot as they can be. The back side of the mufflers were into the 200 degree range. The tails were pretty hot as well. I definitely need to get the lines away from the mufflers and I may look into some stick on reflective sheets to help insulate the tank near the tail pipes. The IRS pipes aren't super close to the tank but they do surround it.
Had to dig around for this. What would you say was the max temp you recorded under the hood?

Man your car in unbeleavable, I came across it on IG, and followed your link over here.

I spent the last 2 days reading all 125 pages, and I'm totally blown away! Congrats on everything!!

I just finally got my car back from paint last week, and am now starting the pain stacking process of putting it back together, theres a lot of things Im definetly "borrowing" from your build.

Just in case no one has said it, thanks for taking the time to post all the information, and pics for us guys to get ideas/motivation from, it mean a lot.

Todd

Thanks man! I really appreciate it. Glad I could provide some motivation.

Had to dig around for this. What would you say was the max temp you recorded under the hood?

Well, that thermal camera only reads to 535*F and the headers were registering above that number. I do want to beat on the engine a bit and then shoot the hotside with a gun that reads high enough to see how hot things really get. I would expect the headers to get over 1000*F after the engine has done some work.

Two words......Vacuum Pump. Problem solved.

Got any recommendations of a good setup to use? Adding a serpentine pump will be much easier said than done. I've heard of people using the electric Cobra air pumps, but their long term reliability didn't seem to be that great. They are meant to pump clean air, not oil vapors.

Good point. I think I may stick a magnetic digital thermometer in the bay somewhere while driving around. I don't think it's possible to shoot air temps with an infrared gun. I do know that the upper intake and discharge pipe were around 160-170 degrees. Ambient temperatures near the firewall would be helpful to know. That's where the bay is the hottest because there is almost no airflow back there, even with the fan on.

Good point. I think I may stick a magnetic digital thermometer in the bay somewhere while driving around. I don't think it's possible to shoot air temps with an infrared gun. I do know that the upper intake and discharge pipe were around 160-170 degrees. Ambient temperatures near the firewall would be helpful to know. That's where the bay is the hottest because there is almost no airflow back there, even with the fan on.
Good info. The only reason I ask is because I REALLY want to use a certain paint for my engine bay project, but it says not for use over 200°. If it's close to or slightly over in most places, I'm willing to tempt fate, but if it's 250+ then I'll have to settle on something else.

I've actually been very curious to see how mine holds up where the headers run along the frame rail. There is about 1/2" clearance in some spots. The headers are wrapped, but there is still lots of heat coming off them. So far, so good. Only time will tell I guess!

I use the electric smog pump off of a F body car circa 2001 or so. Plump it in so that the fumes from both V/C go through an oil separator first and then the smog pump. You have to make sure that the smog pump is mounted far enough away that by the time the crankcase fumes get to it they are cooled off. Pump tends to be noisy if the exhaust port is left un-muffled. Nice part about it is that it is available from NAPA for about $80 and has a lifetime warranty. I mounted mine up in the passenger front fender just back from where the antenna would be. The oil separator is mounted up in the front of the passenger side inner fender as far forward as possible.

I use the electric smog pump off of a F body car circa 2001 or so. Plump it in so that the fumes from both V/C go through an oil separator first and then the smog pump. You have to make sure that the smog pump is mounted far enough away that by the time the crankcase fumes get to it they are cooled off. Pump tends to be noisy if the exhaust port is left un-muffled. Nice part about it is that it is available from NAPA for about $80 and has a lifetime warranty. I mounted mine up in the passenger front fender just back from where the antenna would be. The oil separator is mounted up in the front of the passenger side inner fender as far forward as possible.
Are you using that on a race setup or does it see continuous duty? Have you measured what kind of vacuum it's able to pull?

Are you using that on a race setup or does it see continuous duty? Have you measured what kind of vacuum it's able to pull?
At idle it will pull 5" of vacuum. Pretty much a race set up, but I don't see an issue with the pump running continuously provided the crank fumes are isolated from the pump properly. Plus the lifetime warranty helps. We got over 5 years of service out of the one on my friends car and it failed because a small rock somehow got tossed into the exhaust side and froze the pump up. On my set up I actually provide a little bit of "bleed" air into the crankcase during operation. It still pulls a good vacuum with the engine running.

I was actually going to ask if you have a fresh air source into the engine. You don't happen to have a part number do you?
It's been awhile since I checked, but my friend used to use some electric air pump from a Chevrolet application to suck crankcase vapors. Eliminates the need for having to accommodate the belt driven pump into your serpentine system, and the pump is designed for the application. The pump is noisy as hell though. I don't know what is done differently when it's a factory install to quiet that b itch down, but on the race cars that he uses them on, it sounds like a little shop vac or something. because it's a constant pull, I think there isn't a need to install any bleed restrictors and you can otherwise seal up the engine vent system, running just the one (- whatever) hose to it, and vent the gasses ( from the pump) into your breather tank..

I'm watching you deal with this, because I'll have a template when/if my vapor issue becomes a necessity.

If you want, I can call and find out if he's still using these things, on the cars he builds, and what/where they come from.