Build Thread Want To Blow 5 Years And $50k On A Foxbody? Step By Step Instructions Inside!

I'm eyeballing that tranny. Definitely tough enough for my build along with a hefty safety margin. I'm drooling here...

We def have to talk.

Anyone know any good marriage counselors? Do they come with divorce lawyers or are those separate? :shrug: Should be a package deal. Think I'll start a service like Uber and call it F....

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

That would be a Lakewood bell.
If he doesn't want it let me know as second dibs after Jeff . This is something I want to add over the winter . Wondering how bad the install will be with long tubes . Most guys were saying this one wasn't as bad as the old red lakewoods .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Last edited:
In for results when you get the 6-speed in. I've been debating what to do about my pos tko, and completely overlooked the magnum just because in the description i see everywhere it mentions "features of the tko." googled it after you mentioned it, and sounds like a great way to go if i want a syncro'd trans (as long as it can actually shift cleanly over 6k rpm anyway)

If he doesn't want it let me know as second dibs after Jeff . This is something I want to add over the winter . Wondering how bad the install will be with long tubes . Most guys were saying this one wasn't as bad as the old red lakewoods .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate
This one is actually a red Lakewood bell. It's just wearing fancy black powder lipstick.

Reactions: 1 user
In for results when you get the 6-speed in. I've been debating what to do about my pos tko, and completely overlooked the magnum just because in the description i see everywhere it mentions "features of the tko." googled it after you mentioned it, and sounds like a great way to go if i want a syncro'd trans (as long as it can actually shift cleanly over 6k rpm anyway)
I've heard multiple people say they have shifted north of 6500rpm without issues. I've always liked my TKO 500, but I'm looking forward to some different gear ratios.

Shifts clean anywhere in the power band,

So the T56 Magnum install is underway. Now I know why they call it the Magnum. Summa bish is huge. Sitting next to the TKO-500 here.
DSC_4063_zpsnmhp99pf.jpg

I'm going to chronicle the install here. I didn't find a whole lot of installation details with pictures online, so hopefully my experience will help others. Aligning the bellhousing with the Magnum is a little different than other transmissions because the bellhousing doesn't have a concentric circle that can be used to dial it in. The front plate of the transmission needs to be removed and then bolted to the bellhousing without the rest of the transmission behind it. First thing is to remove the detent bolt and spring.
DSC_4067_zpssnh3nm5l.jpg

Once that is out, removing all the bolts on the plate will allow it to be removed. There are two pry spots on each side of the case that make removal with a screwdriver easy. Here's the plate off the trans. I already scraped off all the RTV that was sealing it to the case.
DSC_4073_zpshzwdegn2.jpg

Inside of the mighty Magnum.
DSC_4070_zpsjf2b3web.jpg

I then bolted up the bellhousing with just the flywheel installed. You can see why it's not possible to index this bellhousing without the front plate.
DSC_4074_zpssutq3qf7.jpg

I put the front plate in place and noticed it was crooked. After talking to some people, I'm told this is normal and that transmissions typically favor the driver. I had to stop at this point anyway because my dial indicator base is too thick and wont let me install the plate because the input shaft sleeve sits too close to the flywheel.
DSC_4083_zps4efmlt3x.jpg

Speaking of the input shaft sleeve, there is a lot of information on the internet that the sleeve needs to be shortened when using a twin disc clutch.
DSC_4085_zpsjufjwxnm.jpg

After some measuring, I only have 1/8" clearance to the sleeve once both clutch discs are installed. I'm going to shorten the sleeve the 0.20" that I have seen recommended online.

The webbing of the front plate also needs to be trimmed back thanks to the extra space that the twin disc takes up. The clutch fork hits the plate in certain areas. The green spots are marked up for my machine shop. I'm going to have him shorten the sleeve and machine down those spots at the same time.
DSC_4088_zpssgpuh2pj.jpg

Once the sleeve is machined, my dial indicator base will actually fit so I can get back to aligning the bellhousing.

Reactions: 4 users
I could just bolt this thing in and call it a day (minus the mods for the twin disc) but I don't trust everything being aligned the way it should be. With my luck, the bellhousing will be the smallest bit out of alignment and will cause tough shifting or clutch engagement issues. I'll feel better knowing everything is parallel and concentric.

I could just bolt this thing in and call it a day (minus the mods for the twin disc) but I don't trust everything being aligned the way it should be. With my luck, the bellhousing will be the smallest bit out of alignment and will cause tough shifting or clutch engagement issues. I'll feel better knowing everything is parallel and concentric.
i think this is more of a (perceived) problem with tko's than any other transmission just because they tend to shift so poorly that people will blame anything for it. the real problem with them is the heavy gears, brass syncros with too fine of teeth, and a what seems to me to be a binding shift rail/lug (at least on mine).

did you get a whole kit from somewhere, or are you piecing this swap together? i was eyeballing the dnd kit, but looking at the pics the crossmember they sell doesn't impress me all that much. i'm a long way from a purchase anyway (just paid $2600 in real estate and $800 in personal property taxes, so gotta let the bank accounts rebuild again) but it never hurts to research.

btw, your pics are almost epically clean, and look about 1000x better than the ones i keep seeing in the online mag's.

i think this is more of a (perceived) problem with tko's than any other transmission just because they tend to shift so poorly that people will blame anything for it. the real problem with them is the heavy gears, brass syncros with too fine of teeth, and a what seems to me to be a binding shift rail/lug (at least on mine).

did you get a whole kit from somewhere, or are you piecing this swap together? i was eyeballing the dnd kit, but looking at the pics the crossmember they sell doesn't impress me all that much. i'm a long way from a purchase anyway (just paid $2600 in real estate and $800 in personal property taxes, so gotta let the bank accounts rebuild again) but it never hurts to research.

btw, your pics are almost epically clean, and look about 1000x better than the ones i keep seeing in the online mag's.
You could be right about that. Maybe it's the mods that were done to my trans, but I've never had any shifting issues with it. Sure, it's a little notchy, but definitely not something that bothers me. I have a stock shifter handle on it too, so that helps.

I'm pricing everything together. I found the trans second hand for a few hundred dollars less than buying it directly from D&D. I also wasn't a fan of their crossmember, and I needed a beefier driveshaft. I went with 1350 u joints and a chromoly slip yoke. A local guy sold me his nearly new PST driveshaft for $150. I just need to have it shortened. I'll come out ahead compared to buying the complete kit. Not by much, but it will have exactly what I need.

Glad you like the pictures. Photography is a (very) small hobby of mine. Although I don't do anything to try to make the photos of parts look extraordinary, I try to take the time to get a halfway decent picture. Shooting in full manual mode and having an external flash really help. The good quality pictures have come in handy when I'm referring back to something I did years ago.

It never really clicked before, with all 2,000 pages of this thing but you DO take excellent pictures for a car thread. I think you'll love the t56. I love my 6060

Reactions: 1 users
Hey man your car is amazing!! I just finished reading all of this thread and thank you for sharing all the information and pictures of your awesome build, by far the best thread I have came across. You have definitely motivated me with my car again and gave me lots of ideas. Looking forward to more progress of your car.

Hey man your car is amazing!! I just finished reading all of this thread and thank you for sharing all the information and pictures of your awesome build, by far the best thread I have came across. You have definitely motivated me with my car again and gave me lots of ideas. Looking forward to more progress of your car.
Glad I can be an inspiration to you. Other builds on this forum have really inspired me in the past as well. They give me the kick in the ass I need to get in the garage and start working.

Reactions: 1 users