Build Thread Want To Blow 5 Years And $50k On A Foxbody? Step By Step Instructions Inside!

• Sponsors (?)

I don't care if it has wipers,a/c or slippery-when-wet tires. This thing is a f'ing beast!! I will never have a car as nice as this:nice: And I'd never drive it! Jk I'd drive the sh it out of it!!

Reactions: 1 users
So I now have working headlights, front and rear parking lights, and a working horn (it's loud). The high beams also work. The turn signals also work. It was a little tricky understanding the multifunction switch circuits, but after staring at the diagrams and drinking a few beers, I figured it all out.

I ordered a pigtail for the fog lights online because mine was melted. I'll be powering the fogs off their own relay that gets its signal from the parking lights. The relay will also keep me from melting another switch. I love the look of a GT with the parking lights and fog lights on at the same time, especially right before sunset.

Next up should be wiring in the other end of the gauge panel pigtail. I have just about all of the wires ran for it except for some of the sensors. I bought LED backlights for all the Autometer gauges. I'm curious to see how they look.

Pictures to follow soon.

Reactions: 3 users
Here are the pictures from the lighting progress.

Got the switch wired in. No fog lights yet.
DSC_2553_zps4c609df4.jpg

The RJM headlight relays. One for high beam, and one for low beam.
DSC_2555_zps480c3f61.jpg

Passenger side all loomed up and pretty.
DSC_2557_zps2157b48c.jpg

Parking lights.
DSC_2549_zps51c4bf1c.jpg

Low beams.
DSC_2547_zps127d8697.jpg

High beams.
DSC_2550_zpsdd24cff3.jpg

All that light and nothing started on fire. I'd call that a success. Next up will be the tails.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
More wiring progress.

I built this gauge setup a good 2 years ago when I was preparing to revamp the electrical system on the car. I recently swapped out an oil pressure gauge for a fuel pressure gauge, so I had to make a few changes. It's all done now. The plate is made by MC Machine. I had to search high and low for the 24 pin connector. A quick disconnect was a must. No way would I want to pull apart 20 wires to take the dash out. The other end of the connector is partially wired into the dash harness. I have all the wires labeled on that end.
DSC_2536_zpsca8fa7fb.jpg

DSC_2538_zps7a1e1fba.jpg

Got some of the wiring done on the turn signal stalk. I recently decided I will not be running wipers. That will eliminate a good bit of wiring. I can always add the circuit in later if I want to. Oh, the horn works. Woohoo.

Here is the battery mounted in the spare tire well. I found an battery tray specific to the Optima battery on a 4x4 off road site. It's bolted to the side and bottom of the spare tire well with a total of 6 bolts, so it's not going anywhere.

You might consider a Greddy or Innovate analog AFR gauge to go with the others. Would be a shame (to me anyway) to ruin all that work with a digital gauge in the cockpit.

I like that idea. I'm going to roll with it. I assume they silk screen the lettering on, so maybe they can just cut the A/C writing away. Glad you like your PLX gauges. I had their older wideband years ago and it got the job done.

No radios with digital read-outs, huh? Is this the head unit you have in your car? :eek:

9zm.jpg

Mine is similar looking to that. It does have provisions for an I-POD or other player though. It's a modern rendition of an old radio.

Mine is similar looking to that. It does have provisions for an I-POD or other player though. It's a modern rendition of an old radio.

When do start looking for a receiver, I'll also be looking for somewhat of a vintage looking one with a clean and simple design, but with an SD slot or USB input. I dislike about 95% of the receivers out there. Too many tacky designs.

Lights in the back all work now.
DSC_2561_zpsf618730e.jpg

You wouldn't believe the amount of wires required to make the hazard switch work. Took quite some time just to get a couple of lights to blink at the same time.

I also received my gauge plates. They came out amazing. The quality and feel of these things is impressive. They are extremely well built. I'm very happy with them.
DSC_2565_zpse17b0aac.jpg

DSC_2566_zps34b7b618.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks madspeed.

Here's the receiver I'm probably going with.
C45-147-120-2.jpg

Keeping it old school. Like I mentioned, I dislike the cheesy, futuristic look of most aftermarket head units. This one by RetroSound has all the typical modern features. USB, SD, 3.5mm jack, equalizer, 4 channel external amplifier outputs, etc. It's all I would need and I love the look. Had I known I would have been going with something like this, I would have had the gauge plate cut specifically for the head unit and knobs. It will still look nice with the back plate though.

Reactions: 1 user