Build Thread Want To Blow 5 Years And $50k On A Foxbody? Step By Step Instructions Inside!

• Sponsors (?)

There's a video on youtube that shows a partial teardown of an 800,000 mile 7.3 Powerstroke that still had very visible cross-hatching.

I hope this gets fixed for you without too much pain. Not that my opinion is anything to be desired, but I think this is one of the most impressive builds I've ever had the pleasure of following.

Damn.... Filter magnet proved to be a useful idea! I'm curious to see if anything went through the bearings

I spoke with two separate engine builders and both highly recommend new cam and crank bearings. Both also prefer Total Seal rings, which are more expensive than the Clevite rings I currently have. This won't be as cheap of a fix as I originally hoped. Expensive lesson for sure.

There's a video on youtube that shows a partial teardown of an 800,000 mile 7.3 Powerstroke that still had very visible cross-hatching.

I hope this gets fixed for you without too much pain. Not that my opinion is anything to be desired, but I think this is one of the most impressive builds I've ever had the pleasure of following.

Thanks man. I appreciate it a lot. I'm glad I could keep you entertained.

Reactions: 1 user
@RacEoHolic330
When you went to Kris for your Dyno tune did you stay there all day and watch? Did he include you in anything he was doing? I called a dyno tuning place today and they said they'd want my car for about 2 days for the tuning and I'm just looking to see what other shops might be compared to the one I will do business with.

Kris included me on everything. I was standing next to the car for every pull. The second time I went there, I drove the car around town while he tuned in the passenger seat. I asked questions about why the car was acting a certain way and what needed to be done to change it and he had no problem explaining everything to me. I would never ever drop my car off at a shop and then pick it up 2 days later for tuning. I trusted Kris 100%, but I wanted to be nearby keeping an eye on things in case something happened. Hell, I was even nervous about dropping the shell off at the body shop to have it painted. What if the place catches on fire? What if someone breaks in? Those are all the things my neurotic mind worries about.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not completely familiar with everything yet, but I understand the system more and more everytime I use it. The online support for the Holley is very helpful too. Kris has also offered to help me via phone or email when I have issues. That's pretty huge in my book. A good tuner shouldn't shut you out once the car is off the rollers. Ask the places you're talking to if they would be willing to give you advice if you have issues afterwards.

Thanks for the run down. There is only one dyno shop in my area and it's 5 minutes from my work. The next closest dyno is about a 3-5 hour drive away. This shop I'm looking at has been around for 15 years and so far are really nice and have had good feedback on another website. I'm thinking I'll be ready for a dyno tune in March or April when the roads clear up.

If that's the two day place, I'd ask them why they want to do it that way. Maybe they have a good reason. Dyno tuning does take longer than I initially thought. Find out what kind of costs there are for two full days of tuning. Sounds very expensive!

Like Scott said that's one thing that sold me on the place Kris was upfront about everything he did and any questions he had no issues explaining and another thing that impressed me was he wasn't relying soley on my wide band he actually kept cutting new plugs open and reading them . @FoxMustangLvr

Learn as much as you can about it so you dont have to be held hostage with the 800 dollar tune. IMO, the tune better be spot on if im handing someone 800 bucks, cold start, drivability, wot, all that stuff takes time and i dont think anyone could do it all 100% in even two days. I dont miss the days of sending the car away and having a tuner do everything with me in the dark.

I have missed it in 96 pages of this thing, but did you have someone build that motor? I'm curious as to what diameter rings were used. The cross hatches gone and the vertical striations, to me, suggest pistons that were over ringed. You were essentially "honing" the cylinder walls with your rings.

There is always that possibility, but I sure hope that isn't the case. Rick from RNH Performance assembled the shortblock. He does not seem to be part of the Mustang community anymore though. According the the spec sheet, the rings are Perfect Circle 315-0049.005

What is your engine bore?

NM, searched the thread and saw its 4.030. Hopefully that's the case. If you happen to have a micrometer, wouldn't hurt for you to check one or two cylinders and see how close to that you are. The rings are for your bore size, it just seems like maybe someone might have been off by a couple thousands (.001 or .002) and the rings honed it out. At any rate, hopefully they get you fixed up really soon. During break in, make sure you add zinc additive to the motor.

Last edited: