Want to see breakage? Just got back from the track, video included

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
Had another interesting night at the track:lol:
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

YouTube - My Z06 breaks

Picture004.jpg

Should have gone 11.70's tonight with the great air. First pass, bamb! :rlaugh: I was going to to do the rear end anyways, so now I have a good excuse!

• Sponsors (?)

Ouch! Been there done that! It sucks for sure, but it seems as if you have a good outlook on things. You have to in that situation really. Are you going to change the gearing with the rebuild?

Btw, the car sounds killer!:nice:

That's too bad! At least you were out at the track and driving the car like it should be driven (even if you did tape the rear). It's interesting that in the video, you can see it loading up hard and squatting in the rear... then the rear end just lets go. The rear ends I've seen let go in person, it seems like they don't load that hard. They just immidiately break and the car never even rolls forward. So it's very vivid watching this video.

The bad thing is just two days prior we were talking about this happening. The car is a beast and that track just has too much bite to launch real hard on. I fear bringing my newly acquired ride out there :rlaugh:

You'll get it all fixed up and be better off in the long run Mark; just sucks to break when not having the parts already there for the fix.

That's too bad. But like you said, now an excuse to upgrade! :nice:

Last time I went to the track, there was a H/C/I LS1 T/A with a 4000 stall and drag radials. He was making mid 7 second passes (1/8); car was sick nasty. He decided he'd spray it one time (125 shot), and well, it did exactly what your car just did....But he had pulled it to the track and knew it was gonna happen anyway.

Anyways, I'm heading to the track next weekend one last time this year. Crossing my fingers I don't break anything. I kinda got my doubts with my little bolt on NPI....:rlaugh:

-Will

That's too bad! At least you were out at the track and driving the car like it should be driven (even if you did tape the rear). It's interesting that in the video, you can see it loading up hard and squatting in the rear... then the rear end just lets go. The rear ends I've seen let go in person, it seems like they don't load that hard. They just immidiately break and the car never even rolls forward. So it's very vivid watching this video.

B, thanks for the input. After having a few Jack D's on the rocks tonight, I jacked the car up. There was no oil/fluid. I did not oil down the track either.

I did have a spec 3 installed last week. The car has been chattering, shaking a bit when there is not enough throttle. Normal for the c5 spec 3. However, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear is not there. I tried to get the car to move. It will not move forward, but reverse does move a tiny bit. It doesn't catch like it should, but the car will inch backwards in reverse. So, I am against my first impressions of cracking the rear end, or breaking an outshaft/half shaft. As you mentioned, the car hit real hard. I am used to cutting high 1.7's to low 1.8's. My 18 inch drag radials at my power level, should be good for low to mid 1.6's with good track prep. As I texted Maddox(D98gt) this would have been a 1.6 60ft and a mid-high 11 second pass if I hit my shifts.

I'm thinking it has to be the tranny, or the gear in the rear end broke off, and the teeth are just catching in reverse??????? Does this make sense.

Maddox, thanks bro. The guy filming it had a c6 ls3. I told him, "I'm going to break". He laughed...... He wasn't laughing afterwards, though I was.

Ouch! Been there done that! It sucks for sure, but it seems as if you have a good outlook on things. You have to in that situation really. Are you going to change the gearing with the rebuild?

Btw, the car sounds killer!:nice:

Thanks man!

Yeah, I am not upset about it. I've broken before, but you have to pay to play! This is isn't my daily driver, though I do drive it daily after work just to put a smile on my face. I wouldn't launch/race a car hard that I rely on for daily commuting.

The only thing I was upset with, is I didn't even get to make a nice solid 11 second pass. I went 12.02 last weekend with a much higher DA and on a crappy track. Just one pass and then breaking would have been ok with me. But oh well, time for a built rear end/hardened out put shafts/ probably stock gears, and high performance bushings on all the connecting parts. Should go 11.40-.50s. Then going with a nasty cam.

There is a dyno day on the 21st that I might take off for---$35 - VIP Package
*3 Dyno Pulls*
*VIP Bracelet*
-FREE Unlimited Beer-
-FREE Unlimited BBQ-

$25 – Dyno Package
*3 Dyno Pulls*

$15 – VIP Bracelet (no dyno pulls)
*FREE Unlimited Beer*
*FREE BBQ

My current work schedule has me working Friday-Monday nights (yes..that means I am "working" right now). I fear putting the car on the track cause I know the addiction will start all over again :nonono:

Damn that sucks,but like you said,good time to upgrade.Anypics of the carnage?

No Pics yet. I just ordered a stage 2 RPM completely built rear end. Comes with stronger c6 z06 right and left output shafts, and beefed up internals. It should be here in 2 weeks. I am also getting rid of 18 inch Drag Radials. They are just too hard on an IRS car because of the lack of sidewall.

There is a dyno day on the 21st that I might take off for---$35 - VIP Package
*3 Dyno Pulls*
*VIP Bracelet*
-FREE Unlimited Beer-
-FREE Unlimited BBQ-

$25 – Dyno Package
*3 Dyno Pulls*

$15 – VIP Bracelet (no dyno pulls)
*FREE Unlimited Beer*
*FREE BBQ

My current work schedule has me working Friday-Monday nights (yes..that means I am "working" right now). I fear putting the car on the track cause I know the addiction will start all over again :nonono:

where is this dyno day? The rear end will not be ready, but if you taxi, I'm game! Shoot, I might even put up the civic on the dyno, but I don't know if the dyno is rated to the hp this thing puts out:p

It'll be off of Burr Oak Dr at turbochargers.com dyno day. It'll be mostly imports there as thats where I found the post on H-I.

I have a family member possibly about to get a RT Charger so a HRP trip might be in the near future just to see the two stock cars work out an argument ;)

It'll be off of Burr Oak Dr at turbochargers.com dyno day. It'll be mostly imports there as thats where I found the post on H-I.

I have a family member possibly about to get a RT Charger so a HRP trip might be in the near future just to see the two stock cars work out an argument ;)

I've got a camera.