Want to turn that Sirius antenna into an XM antenna? Here's how!

I'm going through my photos and came across my Sirius to XM conversion pictures. Since the head unit in my car has XM, and the factory antenna is Sirius, I decided to gut it, and hide an XM antenna inside.

You'll need: a small XM antenna (eBay), torx bits, zip ties for wiring, a wrench/socket to remove the antenna, and an air grinder.

Here it goes:
View attachment 195003
Remove this bolt to release the antenna.

View attachment 195004
Here it is... in all of its Siriusness. I mean glory. I mean worthlessness. I'm no audiophole, but Sirius sucks compared to XM (yes, same company, I know).
Follow the wiring on the trunklid to find the connectors - this is a common sense step that I don't have pictures of.

View attachment 195005
Sirius guts on the right, versus the entire XM antenna.
You see how that aluminum base has a four-sided protrusion? That's where the grinder comes into play.

View attachment 195006

Remove the torx screws on the bottom of the antenna - I don't remember the size. Heck, I don't even remember what I had for breakfast. And I'm 25. So, to remember the exact size of a torx bit, sorry. Just do what I do.. try a bunch until you find the right one. Once you remove the screws, cover, rubber seal, and factory guts, this is what you're left with.

See how one of the sides is now flat? Use your grinder to make yours look like mine!

View attachment 195007
View attachment 195008

Now, drill a larger hole in the center of the base plate to run the XM plug:
View attachment 195009

View attachment 195010
Here's the XM antenna again.

I went a step farther and 'gutted' the XM antenna - I stripped it down to the vital parts. It might not be necessary, but what the heck; taking things apart is fun!
View attachment 195011
Some double-sided 3m tape will hold the new guts in place. See how the wiring loops out, then underneath the guts? That's how it should be routed.

View attachment 195012
Route the XM plug to your radio or receiver.

View attachment 195013
Reassemble the antenna and then reinstall it!

All done!

Took me about an hour.

I ALMOST decided to paint it black (plastic fades) while it was off.. but I got over my 'while I'm at its' when I restored my '65 Mustang.. it drains your wallet too quickly.

Any questions, let me know!
If you need info on installing the stereo, I can help you with that as well!

• Sponsors (?)