Wanting 300 rear wheel hp

flewthecoupe

Mar 1, 2004
What is the best combo of heads, intake, exhaust, and other bolt ons I can use to achieve this? There are only 39,000 or so miles on the engine so I don't want to rip it apart just yet, or will I have to? And I would like to stay away from Nos.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Here is what I had in mind:

AFR165/185 or similar heads (GT40X, TFS, etc)
GT40, Cobra, or Explorer upper and lower intake
65mm TB
73mm MAF calibrated for injectors
2.5inch exhaust
Headers
24# injectors
FPR
190lph or better fuel pump
E303 cam or custom grind as needed

What would you change or add to this list?

Thanks again,
Michael

• Sponsors (?)

I'm also interested in this exact topic. I've always been a bit discouraged, because I have to pass emissions. Depending on where you live, you may not be concerned with emissions at all. I've got a lot of miles on my stock block, but when I eventually do H/C/I my stock block will be cleaned up, so I'm kind of in the same boat as you. 39K miles is barely broken in. :)

Good post.

oo ya got yourself a cream puff...:nice:

its not cheap but a small turbo will make 300 rwhp w/ its eyes closed standing on it s head..:D actaully it'll proble make 450-500 rwhp ona stock 5.0..a stroker would put it @ 560-700 hp.

nitrous is the fastest/cheapest way. i'm running it and a 100 shot added almost 90 horses over stock. its in check, on tap an has a bunch of failsafes in place, so i'm not worried about it. its the tune that grenades a block, not the poweradder.

There are three basic combos I would consider if I were starting from scratch, depending on what my ultimate goal was.

1. For the absolute best in N/A power, the AFR165/custom cam/Edelbrock combo. Not cheap, but the best rarely is. (this is the route I did take with my 95).

2. For excellent power on a budget, the Trickflow kit. At a little over $2000, it'll come within spitting distance of the AFR/FTI/Edelbrock combo for noticably less money.

3. For a boosted setup, I would get GT40 heads and a custom cam (unless I was starting with a Cobra motor, in which case I'd just get the cam of course), and a HP Performance turbo kit. This is the route I wish I had taken. I suspect it wouldn't have cost significantly more than what I've ended up spending on the N/A setup.

Dave

Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm just hoping that with the right bolt ons and the right set of gears I can push 3800 pounds into the high 13's or low 14's.

Thanks again for letting me pick your brains,
Michael

i'd say you need a decent H/C/I for the 300 horse, the 13's won't be too difficult.
If you're on some sort of budget, get an intake and heads off of like a 97 explorer. it's all gt40 stuff there, and that will probably get you to about mid-upper 13's. Especially if you get a cam.

I would go with either of Dave's first two choices. You will make *more* power with the AFR/Edel/FTI combo but the Trickflow kit cuts out a lot of the guess work since it comes with everything you need to bolt it on and the parts were made to work together. It really comes down to how much money and time you want/can spend.

stangin it said:
AFR 165's , FTI custom cam, Edelbrock rpm intake, 30lb injectors, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-m, 255lph pump, Kirban afpr, long tube headers, 2.5 exhaust.
Are you suggesting this as an option? That's fascinating, given that in another thread you refer to AFR users as "dick lickers"...

stangin it said:
Every time theres a AFR/TFS/Edelbrock thread all the AFR dick lickers come out and ruin the thread saying how they are the best no matter what because they are the most expensive and blah blah all the same 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'. If you want any real info then just do a search.

Some of you are dick lickers but if i dont say AFR/FTI/RPM then il just have to hear you nuts come out and preach your AFR bull'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'. So i figured id do everyone a favor and just get it over with.

I'm going with a Cobra intake-ported lower, 65mm tb, 80mm Pro-M, 24lb injectors, AFR 165s, 1.6 RR, Steeda 19 cam, ceramic shorty headers and Bassani X-pipe. I'm hoping to get close to 300 at the rear wheels and into the 12s.