Wanting 300 rwhp

iowabowhunter

Mar 24, 2004
I've decided to keep my fox body. What I have is an unabused completely stock '87 GT Vert Auto. If I went with AFR 165 heads, shorty headers, cobra intake, larger throttle body and a 2.5" aftermarket exhaust all on the stock short-block would I get close to 300 RWHP? If not what else would I have to do or change.
Thanks
Bob

• Sponsors (?)

My .02 is that with the AOD you might need more for the 300 you are looking for. Now add some gears, a stall converter, and a good valve body and you will get it to the ground much more efficiently. I may be wrong about the power but do it and let's keep updated.

There's no reason why you can't reach your goal. A good converter such as a PI or Edge along with a good sets of heads and intake will get you there. You can do it with the stock or a mild cam. Check out the site in my sig for lots of good AOD info and cars.

Just to give you and I idea of how far you may need to go to get an AOD to 300, check out my sig:

305rwhp
351rwtq

PLEASE don't listen to the guys that will tell you that you will even be close, and definately do not listen to anyone that has a 5 spd about your dyno numbers they have no clue what it takes to make good dyno numbers with an AOD and high stall.

With what you plan on doing you may see 250hp/285tq. Understand with an AOD Dyno numbers don't mean jack only track times will tell.

sunil6784 said:
Are you still running speed density? If so, they generally do not like cam changes. You might also need to chcange to an MAF setup.

There are alot of cams that work, just need to have a LSA of around 114. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Edit: Best bet would be to go Supercharger.

the car is still speed density?

hey man if the car is still a speed density car wich i belive it is from the factory in 87, ur car will run like ass if u dont convert to MAss air, thats half the reason i sold my 86 Gt

I put down 220 with a stock 156k mile long block, an Explorer intake, 76mm MAF, full exhaust and bolt ons with an AOD. I would have to think AFR's would be worth 30 hp. I just put together a 306 with ported stock heads, 2031 cam, the Explorer intake, and 24 lber's, and I hope to put down well over the 250 someone mentioned above.