Warming up a cold engine without a block heater

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
Unfortunately up here in Canada, temperatures can dip down to -22 F, which can be a problem for vehicles. I just discovered that my block heater isn't working, and while my car will turn over (the battery is good) it just won't start in this cold. It's currently stuck on the 4th floor of a parking garage.

I was thinking about taking a blow torch to the oil pan (at some distance away) just to heat up the engine, but I realize this has the potential to lead to those epic fail threads that end up being 30 pages long and get attention all over the Internet. I guess I could get it towed to a heated garage, but that could be expensive. Any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Is it carb or efi?

If it is carb, something you could dry is taking a blow dryer and blowing it down the carb. I have heard it helps in vaporizing the fuel and getting the car going for carb applications, as for efi, I have no idea how you could do anything :shrug:

If you pull up to it with a car that runs, jump it.

IF you can't get a car in there, you need to pull the battery and let it warm up slowly. DO NOT put any flamed-heat by it as it can explode. In other words, pull it out, bring it inside at your home and let it warm up for 24 hours. If you have a trickle charger, make sure the battery is not frozen before charging it. If it is frozen, then it you have to spring for a new battery.

Bring the battery back, nice and warm with a full charge.

Starting fluid is a worst case scenario.

If I were you, I'd run Mobil's 0-30 in the winter.

Also, a fresh tune up would help your car to start better in the winter. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Buy quality parts!

You may want to pull a plug and make sure your car currently isn't fuel saturated. If you have to buy a battery, find something with 900 plus CCA's.

You also may have a fozen fuel line, in which case a tow to a heated environment and letting it sit there for a day or two is the answer.

In general, for winter driving, start using gas line antifreeze BEFORE temperatures drop below zero. Using some ethanol will do the trick or you can use the little bottles that they sell everywhere.

+1 on the use of a top end 0W30 synthetic motor oil.

As well, you're going to need to preheat the engine when it gets cold. Block heaters are alright, but they are more difficult to install. Why is your block heater not working - bad cord/connection?

Alternatively, you can skip the block heater (which only heats coolant) and go right to heating your engine oil, which is the life blood of your engine. Oil heaters are easy to install and can take the form of a magnetic heating element that you stick to the bottom of your oil pan, or a "dipstick heater" which functions like a heated dipstick.

I ran a magnetic oil pan heater for years one of my winter drivers (a Pontic 305 V8) and loved it.

+1 for the magnetic block heater. Like some one said double check the battery a weak one will freeze. I assume you have ac power available, while I would not use a blow torch a heat gun should do the trick. When I lived in Alaska and this happened sometimes we would put a parachute over the car (portable garage) and use a herman nelson heater to inflate the chute and warm the car. Just be careful not to melt any plastic with the heater or heat gun. Good luck and hope for warmer days soon. I also recommend 5w 20 synthetic oil if your temps routinely run below 0 degrees F.

I've never used mine either. I removed the plug, but my block heater is a replacement freeze plug on the pass side of the engine. The cord unplugs, and i have no idea where i put it

notch93 and thor both had good ideas, follow their advice.

Other than whats already been said, another potential "trick" my pops taught me is use a "trouble light"/"garage light" in the engine compartment... not sure about the style of parking garage you're in, if it's got enclosed walls (so the wind doesn't blow through) you can get a trouble light/shop light (as long as it has a regular old incandescent lightbulb... flourescent wont give off enough heat) and hang it up in the engine compartment between the radiator and the block.
The light will help put some heat into the engine compartment and help keep the radiator from freezing.

I do this in my own garage when the temps get real low, "just in case".

As others have said, a magnetic block heater is your best bet. They also make dipstick heaters. But, that would be my last choice. However, it is a choice.

As for power,
o Get a cheap portable generator.
o Or, get an AC converter and connect it to a spare fully charged battery. That's a lot less obvious that a LOUD generator running.
o Or, get a battery operated heater and run it off a spare battery.

IMHO, an inline hose heater is better than the block heaters. But, you can't do that install in a parking garage. Well, actually, you "shouldn't" do that install in a parking garage. :) Other than the antifreeze mess on the ground, it's often a simple install. :) But, I've never done in on a Stang. So, I don't know about any possible interference or rubbing issues that may happen on a Stang install.

Good Luck!

As well, you can buy a "battery blanket" which literally wraps around your battery like an electric blanket to keep it warmer so that it can crank harder when called upon to do so. I personally would not substitute battery warming over engine heating, but could consider it as a supplement if the temperatures are going to get perticlarly low.

Years ago when I was in northern Canada temperatures would routinely drop to -45 F overnight. I saw many people unable to start their cars in the morning - people who just block heated and did nothing else (these guys started to drop off as minus 40 was approached).

Since I had to make sure my vehicle ALWAYS started, I went a little over the top and ran a separate block heater (frost plug hole insert) on each of the two cylinder banks on a carbureted Chrysler 318 V8, plus a battery blanket, plus a magnetic oil pan heater. I never missed a start even though the car was parked outside. The good news is that, at those temperatures, wind of any kind is pretty rare.

im intoxicated.

i remember back in the day that i heard somewhere back over the CB(citizens Band, CB radio for u younger folk), that you can put charcoal in a metal pan under your oil pan, and it should heat it up. just have to keep the charcoal fresh cause it burns out in like 20 min. otherwise a warm, non frozen battery would be good too.