WARNING - Ford has a problem with the 3.7L Motor

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-' started by tr6nut, Oct 15, 2010.

1. andyra56

andyra56 New Member

3.7 engine tick

i think the 3.7 engine is pre june 2010..........but others have complained about this noise.....ford ssm21726....tsb497000,,,,,,tsb 21550..........these are u.s. so i hope they will help,,,....i found these on allfordmustangs.com............Andy
  2. Mike97gt

Mike97gt it doe snot Mod Dude Founding Member

This type of thread ****es me off. Just because YOUR engine has a noise, does not mean ALL of them have a noise and nobody should buy the car. BTW somebody is feeding you a line of crap ford would not have us put known bad parts back into a car and ship it.

There is nothing wrong with the 3.7 engine.. This motor shares a lot in common with the 3.5 that ford has used for quite some time.

I have seen ford bend over backward to fix so called problems that are normal such as the f-150 transmission I swapped out about a month ago that even the field engineer agreed there was nothing wrong with it but the customer was a lunatic so we gave him a factory production unit to make him go away.

so if anybody here is considering a 3.7 equipped ford you can buy one without worrying they are just fine and a very good motor.

21726 exists but what are these tsb's those are not even in the format of a ford tsb.. please post the publication

3. jaybertx

jaybertx Member

Yes, Ford can't make enough of these things to sell them fast enough. V6 Mustangs are being delayed because the F-150s are selling like hotcakes. If there was truly a problem I'm guessing that wouldn't be the case...
  4. SpartaPerformance

SpartaPerformance Site Sponsor

I haven't run into any noises from 3.7's yet so I"m guessing its a rare condition.
  5. Trinity2011

Trinity2011 Member

Need help with Ford tech explanation (3.7L related?).....

Trinity is a 2011 V6, manual with 21K miles. Two weeks ago the check engine light came on so she went into the Ford dealership.
    Camshaft position sensor Bank 1 error message. Sensor was replaced and I picked her up.
    The next day, not only did the check engine light come back on, but it sounded as if I had put a custom ground race cam in her. Lobe, La, Lobe, La Lobe.....really spaced out and irregular! This time I put my code reader and it read Camshaft position sensor Bank 2.
    The cars idle was so bad and rough I had to have it towed to Ford.

What I was told is that the cam phasers have apparently gone bad, which caused a horrendous timing issue that has possibly caused a valve (or valves) to drop into the piston chamber. Which has possibly scored the chamber wall.
    Thus, the dealership has brought in their "heavy engine tech" to pull the engine to inspect if a new block is needed. Ford is doing their part and I have no complaints about how they are handling it.....but I'd like a little more explanation. Can anyone help a girl out?
    jetmech807 likes this.
  6. rd

rd Founding Member

Went down this road with a 3.8 Windstar head gasket. After some heated discussion, the dealer paid half the cost of the repair, and a year later, we got a check for the rest from Ford.

At 150k, it blew again. Fixed it myself for $400, although it was somewhat of a pita engine to work on. Still got 8 Fords!
  7. jmwall1975

jmwall1975 New Member

It is pre june 2010 build i noticed mine the other day, just at 52,000kms , called service adbisor, goes in to have a look at it and get the work done soon, not a major problem, more of an annoyance.
  8. FordCustSrvc

FordCustSrvc Member

Hi Trinity2011,

Happy to know the local Ford dealer is addressing this concern. If you like, I can arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Hi jmwall1975,

I’m sure a representative from the Customer Relationship Center in your area will be more than happy to lend a hand. If you provide me your location, I’ll be able to research and forward the contact information.

Have a great evening!

Noemi
  9. jmwall1975

jmwall1975 New Member

noemi , i live in calgary alberta canada
  10. FordCustSrvc

FordCustSrvc Member

Hey jmwall1975,

Thanks for the info. A representative from the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center will be able to assist with your concern. When you have chance, give them a call at 1.800.565.3673.

Take care!

Noemi
  11. jmwall1975

jmwall1975 New Member

So i had the vehicle in , they performed a TSB, still have the tick. Brought it back in they claim its not as bad as it was, i have a video and shot a new video after tsb, I SEE NO CHANGE. Called ford customer service and they say they have to stand by the dealership WTF is that. Customers always right my ass, i guess it goes for a trade Camaro maybe, new challenger maybe no ****ing way will it be ford
  12. haitwun

haitwun New Member

I love how Toyota remains the epitome of quality and reliability. Whenever any manufacturer has issues, the response is, "Toyota has issues too!"
  13. SpartaPerformance

SpartaPerformance Site Sponsor

Funny part, I was talking to the parts and service director of the local Honda dealer and he told me that Honda's have the MOST recalls of all car companies. He said Honda has excellent P.R. people and nobody has any idea!!
  14. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

... and then there's the tards on the other side of the isle that think the very ground that honduh/roytota walks on, has been hallowed by Christ himself. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  15. Mazda mania

Mazda mania New Member

I have a 2009 Mazda CX9 with the 3.7 L Ford sourced V6 and I too notice some tapping on cold start up. Is this normal? when the engine warms up it goes away though, could it be the oil? I currently use 5W-20 synthetic. I am used to ticking valves that's normal but tapping is something else.