WARNING: Not for the faint hearted...

sentipede

Dec 27, 2004
Well,
I guess this may make for an interesting story...

So I drop my car off at my local friendly mechanic for some brake work, only to end up having to replace my rear drums and service my fronts for $540. Leaving unhappy to say the least, I drive about 3 blocks at about 30MPH when this happened....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6b.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

I guess maybe if they didn't forget to torque that wheel this would have never happened.

:(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Sponsors (?)

yikes! that's one way to lower the car.... How far'd the wheel go rolling? (That's probably one of my favorite parts of a racing accident :) )

sorry man but think of it this way: Name something that you want for the car and that mechanic will buy it for you :D

MustangMatt1966 said:
Thus the reason people should learn to work on their own cars...then stuff like this could be prevented:nonono:

Seeing as to how making mistakes is part of learning, I think worse things could happen.:shrug:

I think the only thing that one can learn for sure after this incident is don't return to that mechanic.

Where on lasalle is that? Looks like northside, maybe 2200N or something.

Dude... I could have done your brakes for you, and for a lot less too. And one of the gaurantees on my brake jobs is 'No wheels shall come apartith from said vehicle whilst traveling at speed'.

I am unusually cheap on labor too. Pizza, tacos, cash... all accepted forms of payment.

It's been my experience that when a wheel comes off, usually the car will remain upright for a second or two; enough time for the wheel to pass you and that split second of realization... then WHAM, onto the pavement you go. Don't ask me how I know :rlaugh:

Where in Chicago do you stay?

“So how bad are the coffee burns you received on you lap when the wheel came off.” :rolleyes: :D Well looks like you will be getting the brake job and a new wheel and a new 9” with disk brakes.:nice: :flag: In all seriousness I always take a torque wrench with me when I have my tires changed you can NEVER trust the yahoo that worked on your car.:notnice:

yowch! I wouldn't be going back to that for anything other than to pick up the check for my Currie 9" with Baer discs, considering how incompetent you have to be to do that. I'm paranoid, I check each wheel 3 times. I bet the drums and backing plates and axle flange are screwed. Glad to see it's OK.

It looks like some technician was absent on "Lug Nut" day!!

That sucks, but it looks about as good as it possibly could seeing how the traction bar saved the day.