WARNING: Not for the faint hearted...

yup happens to everyone. I lost one off my bronco after a brake job hack touched it. went flying at 45+ and smashed up a lady's minivan... she was pissed ...as you'd expect :)

• Sponsors (?)

If I am reading this correctly, you already have the car back. I would strongly recommend having the wheel and studs closely inspected. either yourself or some other shop.
Having seen this a number of times... us doing repairs after someone else's mess up. Nearly always, the wheel wobbles before it comes off and that wobble causes unusaul wear at the holes in the wheel, they are nealry always oblonged. This means that if they are oblong holes, then now even when the wheel is properly torqued, the lug not can not secure the wheel properly and it is only a matter of time before it comes off again.
Also any time I have seen it, I have recommended replaceing all the studs in question. Why take a chance on them being stessed and failing prematurely.
Good luck
gtss

MrBobMarley said:
Didn't you say they bent your bumper and towed your mustang in park?!

And then they didn't refund you a dime? You must be the nicest guy on earth man. I wouldn't let those clowns come within a cubic mile of my car after something like that.

"I say go back, stab the little bastard in the throat with a #2 pencil and as you're leaving, light the place on fire." -Denis Leary... They put your life at risk along with anyone else near you, what would have happened if a kid was struck by that wheel? It would have been your hide on the line. I'm pretty passive, but something like that is just inexcusable.

Well,

I now have the car in my garage, and while it does look like new and repaired, I am afraid to drive the damn thing. I am going to take it over to another shop and have them examine the work and any damage that was not addressed.

GTSS - Thanks for the wheel tip. You bring a very good point. The wheel definetely wobbled before coming off, and now I am wondering what damage are underneath those lugs. As for the studs, they told me that they replaced any damaged ones, but I will have the mechanic examine those as well.

My current plan of action is to have a mechanic inspect the vehicle and provide an estimate for any additional repairs in addition to the price of a wheel if necessary. I will hand it to the hack mechanic and give him the option to make good and pay, or else I will freeze payment on the original sum (credit card) I have already paid. If he would like to go to court over it, it will be his choice, but gross neglegence will not be working for him.

Thanks for all the advice and help in the meantime.

There ya go, hope it works out for you man. Your fb is beautiful, I can't imagine how they could not respect it or you like that. If that mechanic has any integrity, he'll agree to cover your expenses. Like it was said before, your mishap could have ended up a lot worse. Good luck and keep us posted!

IMO - you should have demanded a refund on your initial repairs. Regardless, make sure you have everything very well documented - police reports and the like. Good luck man - My worst nightmare is to have someone ELSE screw up my pride and joy. I screw things up enough on my own, I don't need to PAY someone to break things :)

wow, very nice fastback. i can't believe those idiots screwed it up so much. also by law that shop is liable for any damages caused by negligance and you can sue them for it. just make sure everything's documented and find a reputable shop to diagnose it properly. at least that's how it works down here in FL.

It's always good to do your own work, that way you know it gets done right. i don't let anyone else touch my stang unless it's a certified ford dealership. even then i usually ask for a master tech to do the work.

sentipede said:
Well,

I now have the car in my garage, and while it does look like new and repaired, I am afraid to drive the damn thing. I am going to take it over to another shop and have them examine the work and any damage that was not addressed.

GTSS - Thanks for the wheel tip. You bring a very good point. The wheel definetely wobbled before coming off, and now I am wondering what damage are underneath those lugs. As for the studs, they told me that they replaced any damaged ones, but I will have the mechanic examine those as well.

My current plan of action is to have a mechanic inspect the vehicle and provide an estimate for any additional repairs in addition to the price of a wheel if necessary. I will hand it to the hack mechanic and give him the option to make good and pay, or else I will freeze payment on the original sum (credit card) I have already paid. If he would like to go to court over it, it will be his choice, but gross neglegence will not be working for him.

Thanks for all the advice and help in the meantime.
I would suggest you stop payment now. Document the incident in a timeline format with pictures and parties involved. Have it thoroughly inspected and repaired by a very reputable mechanic who properly documents everything. Deduct the cost of the new inspection and repairs from the original price paid and that's what you owe the original shop.

So did they replace your bumper?

Edit:

Was it the original shop that did the towing? Was it towed on a flat-bed (hopefully)?

So let me get this straight...you were running from the cops...they laid out the spike strips and it cause your wheel to come off, and now it is somehow the mechanics fault?

Sheesh.

:)

Just happy to see slapper bars can actually do something useful.

Definately get your rim checked out for oblong holes. I had a chev one-ton with duallies that the tire shop forgot to torque down and I could here the plate rattling on as I drove down the road. By the time I figured out what it was, the holes were already screwed on two rims and the nuts hadn't even come all the way off yet.
On another note, I was the recipient of someoneelses tire and wheel when it came off their semi at 65 mph on a freeway, it frontend a pickup, totalling it and then bounced into the air and impacted the driverside windshield pillar totalling out the cab on the same chev one-ton. The only thing that saved myself and my two employees was that pillar. When the state patrol showed up the first thing he asked was how many times I s**t my pants as I pulled the truck over to the side.

man thats why I alwyas check my lugs after getting tires or alignment. Looks like your guardian angle held it up so quarter is clean. Personally, I learned my lesson the hard way, but if I was you I would hire an lawyer and say you are emotionally in pain. Did you file a complaint with the BAR. I know in cali once you do that the shops usually kiss your butt cus that woudl have gotten them shut down. But really hire a lawyer tell him he gets 60% and all you want is you car fixed perfect by SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!

Wow...just wow...this shop is creating an entirely new level of incompetence. Do not let them get away with it.

As far as wheels coming off...alright, once I forgot to tighten the lugs on one wheel of our Isuzu trooper back in the 80's. The wheel came off and passed us! Interestingly enough, the Trooper stayed upright on the other three wheels! Figure that one out.

PLEASE hold these clowns accountable for their incompetence.

I think you need to cornerweight that Isuzu

mtbdoc said:
As far as wheels coming off...alright, once I forgot to tighten the lugs on one wheel of our Isuzu trooper back in the 80's. The wheel came off and passed us! Interestingly enough, the Trooper stayed upright on the other three wheels! Figure that one out.

Hmm, good thing you never had that Isuzu cornerweighted. :D Maybe you were on a crowned road and it was the left rear that came off?:shrug: