wasnt too satisfied with the first drive.

gt40_2003wes

I did sound a wee bit gay there.
Aug 14, 2005
ky
well i just got the stang (88 GT) back together over the weekend and went for my first ride tonite.

we installed a set of thumper heads, trick flow street heat upper and lower intake, a set of summitt headers, and a summitt off roah H, wit 2 chamber flows.

so all week we been warming then lettin it kool and going over all the nuts. i get in and head down the road let it get good and warm then give it a lil not very impressed.

so i pull into a local gas station open the hood make sure no vacum leaks and so on then pull back out and really rip on it this time still wasnt to impressed.

tomorrow im gonna check for leaks pull some codes and maybe even plug in my brothers tweeker something has to be wrong.

anyone have the same issues after puttin on a combo of this sort? any advice would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Could it be you expected too much?
Do you have the supporting mods such as a good meter, 65mm TB and spacer, roller rockers, cam?
If not, you really aren't talking about all that much of a hp gain, should be enough to feel, but not mind blowing.

What do you have the timing at?

Instead of having that IP address thing in your sig, you should list your entire setup so people know the parts you have.

ok all the question first yes stock cam second no i dont got a TB and no its still with a stock 2.73.

the thing is i wasnt expecting alot knowing i still had other parts to buy it didnt feel much more powerful then when it was stock to be honest.

im gettin ready to go tinker with it for a few hours be back then to update.

You are going to need a PMAS 75 or bigger meter and 65mm throttle body/spacer at a minimum to open it up.
3.73 gears would make a serious difference too.

Did you just add flowmasters or an entire 2.5 catback?
h pipe a 2.5?

If you want to feel a differance you should have done the throttle body, maf, gears and a cam or atleast some 1.7 rollers, along with your heads and intake.

I would suspect some mechanical/install issues here.

I agree with those who said you may have expected too much. But on the other hand...he did install thumpers (worth at least 10-15rwhp) street heat intake (5-10rwhp) and full exhaust (10rwhp). In total he should have gained at least ~30rwhp from that swap. That should give you a good bump in SOTP performance.

I would get a vacuum gauge hooked up to it. Check for leaks using wd-40 or brakeclean. Check your injectors,fuel pressure/filter, clean the MAF element, Check/reset the timing, TPS, O2's. Do all the diagnostic shiit.

Unless you were being completely unreasonable in your expectations...you should've felt a decent improvement.

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

See http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

B.jpg

F.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16153 for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-7208-90-equus-digital-ford-code-reader-3145.aspx – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.

I would suspect some mechanical/install issues here.

I agree with those who said you may have expected too much. But on the other hand...he did install thumpers (worth at least 10-15rwhp) street heat intake (5-10rwhp) and full exhaust (10rwhp). In total he should have gained at least ~30rwhp from that swap. That should give you a good bump in SOTP performance.

I would get a vacuum gauge hooked up to it. Check for leaks using wd-40 or brakeclean. Check your injectors,fuel pressure/filter, clean the MAF element, Check/reset the timing, TPS, O2's. Do all the diagnostic shiit.

Unless you were being completely unreasonable in your expectations...you should've felt a decent improvement.

LoL.. what?? 30 hp give you a good bump in sotp?? When I started with a 50 shot of nitrous you couldnt really tell when I hit it and when I didnt. Thats with a nx kit that is rated at the wheels and have the garentee that it is with 1% accuracy. So with 30 hp I dont think you will really be able to feel the difference. Now if he bumped up the timing he will get better throttle response and a little more power.

LoL.. what?? 30 hp give you a good bump in sotp?? When I started with a 50 shot of nitrous you couldnt really tell when I hit it and when I didnt. Thats with a nx kit that is rated at the wheels and have the garentee that it is with 1% accuracy. So with 30 hp I dont think you will really be able to feel the difference. Now if he bumped up the timing he will get better throttle response and a little more power.

you can't notice a 50 rwhp difference? :rlaugh: :nonono:
i can honestly notice the difference in performance between a full and empty tank of gas!!!!

I can notice a performance difference between a full and near empty tank of gas too. That's about 100 pounds isn't it? If your 50 shot is doing nothing in your seat of the pants feel, it's either not working, you installed it wrong, or you just have no sense of feel. I also don't think that when it says 50, 100, 150 shot that it is giving you 50, 100. or 150 horsepower increases. Maybe someone else knows the answer to that.

aight did a lil more tuning today checked the timing again checked for vaccum leaks and checked all the plugs no sign of anything worng.

so what i did was decided that i was just gonna put about 100 miles on it so i drove it around all day. and toward the end of the day it had noticeable more power then at the beginning. dunno what that could be maybe it took the computer a lil time to learn the setup.

oh and i got a 3.73 settin in my bro's garage thatll go in this weekend hopefully ordering my bbk 70mm throttle body tomorrow.