Water Pump Question - it's on a Ranger, but it has the 4.0.

'99 T/A

Founding Member
Mar 19, 2001
Houston, Texas
Has anyone had any problems w/ the aftermarket gaskets for the water pump vs. the metal Ford gasket ?

This is on a 2001 4.0 Ranger, and it looks like it might be leaking from the gasket - we changed the water pump about 2 weeks ago using the felt type gasket that game w/ the new aftermarket pump. The OEM is a thin metal type.

It could be that the intake is leaking, but, it sure seems like it leaking from the water pump - right on the passenger side. I can watch it drip as it runs, and it will leave a puddle under the truck ~ 50% of the time after it has been shut off.

I have a Ford gasket on order, and bought some of the dye that I can test the cooling system for leaks with, but wanted to pick the brains of those that might have had this fun before. :)

Thanks !

Britt

• Sponsors (?)

Well, scratch the water pump gasket - it ain't that.

I think it is the thermostat housing - looks something like this. View attachment 171360

We changed the thermo & o-ring - no luck there.

BTW - that dye is cool stuff - "alien blood". :rlaugh:

You don't need a light to see it during the day if it is obvious , like this one is, but w/ the light at dark - wow. That coolant goes everywhere !! :eek:

Does the Stang V6 use a similar thermo housing ?

Thanks !

Britt