Water Pump Question

rjpbboi

Jan 29, 2009
Massachusetts
Hi guys,

I recently noticed a lot of steam coming from behind the water pump pulley and decided to replace my water pump. The car seemed to be running very hot (my coolant temp gauge decided to go at the same time so I couldn't tell just how hot it was, however I was getting very little pressure in the upper radiator hose) I took apart the pump itself and it didn't look like it was bad to me, although I don't know what a bad pump would look like. Does anyone know what I should expect to see on the inside of a bad water pump? I don't wanna put this thing back together only to have to take it apart again because something else was the problem.

Also, I noticed a lot of gunk (dirt and stuff) on an area below the water wheel inside the pump. However, as there is no channel leading to or from this area, I don't see how it could enter the area with the water wheel and therefore the engine. My questions are

A.) What does a bad water pump look like on the inside or what can I do to a water pump when off the engine to see if it is bad?

B.) What is the purpose of this lower area (looks like a horn) and why does it have no channel to or from it?

C.) How this lower channel would be full of crud (is there something else wrong that I should be checking)?

D.) If the water pump is working fine and the gaskets were all set, where could this steam be coming from?

• Sponsors (?)

When water pumps go bad, they leak from their front seal where the shaft goes through the housing. Otherwise, the impellers should never wear out. A water pump may leak from a gasket if a bolt or housing rusts (wears). But, that happens more with where the water pump connects to the front cover.

If you can post a picture (there may be a post number requirement), or post a link to a picture, that will help.

Just to be on the safe side, check your hoses too, I had a F150 with a 302 that had some steam and I noticed it was a return line with a pin-hole in it... Not saying that this is where you are having issues at, clearly it isn't but just to be on the safe side...

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't have a camera at my apartment, but I can get one from my house when I go there later on this week. There wasn't much rust there, so I think the seal wore out.

I checked the hoses first and the only hose that was bad was the lower radiator hose, but it was bad at the radiator connection, I appreciate the reply though, I wouln't of thought of the hoses as a problem. I only noticed the hose was bad because it was leaking.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't have a camera at my apartment, but I can get one from my house when I go there later on this week. There wasn't much rust there, so I think the seal wore out.

I checked the hoses first and the only hose that was bad was the lower radiator hose, but it was bad at the radiator connection, I appreciate the reply though, I wouln't of thought of the hoses as a problem. I only noticed the hose was bad because it was leaking.
Hoses go bad for many reasons. They expand, contract, and move all the time. Also, the screw clamps make a high stress area where the clamp ends at the hose. That's where you'll often see a pin-hole leak.

IMHO, the spring clamps are TONS better. But, they are harder to buy, and they need a special tool (but, only ~$20!).

Good Luck!

Just replace the water pump and all the hoses, they aren't that expensive.
When the pump seal goes bad coolant leaks out, air gets in and now you an unpressurized system that will have hot and cool spots.
Without the pressure of the system, there really isn't any sign of a bad pump.