Wax a new car??

sweet66coupe

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2002
Virginia
i've got a 03 mustang with 7,000 miles on it and people keep telling me i shouldn't wax it. would it hurt anything or is anything wrong with waxing a car this new? i have no idea so a little help and experience with this matter would help. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sweet, consider the alternative...Do nothing, and you suffer oxidation, rust intrusion, lack of shine and depth....Why wouldnt you want to polish and wax your car ??? This makes absolutely no sense to me....Waxing any car off the lot is safe, chances are its at least several months old anyway.....Let me know if you need some tips, id be glad to help you out on product selection....

Meguiars explains it better than I can.

"A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.

After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.

To maintain your cars fresh paint during the recommended curing time you can safely use any of the below Meguiar's pure polishes, which are not only safe for fresh paint but help to enhance the curing process while making your paint look it's absolute best."

The reason you have to wait 30-90 days before applying a wax or sealant on an aftermarket paint job is that the solvents need time to evaporate out of the paint. If they are trapped, they will prevent the paint from fully curing and will cause major paint problems down the road.

Get some wax on that paint ASAP :nice:

i didn't think it was bad but like three people told me it was so i thought should check it out. i've got some mothers california gold carnauba wax. is that good stuff or should i get something better? my 66 is my first car and had bad paint so i didn't really worry about it but now that i've got practically a new car i'm really particular and want to do everything right so i'll probably be asking a lot of questions. thanks

sweet66coupe said:
i didn't think it was bad but like three people told me it was so i thought should check it out. i've got some mothers california gold carnauba wax. is that good stuff or should i get something better? my 66 is my first car and had bad paint so i didn't really worry about it but now that i've got practically a new car i'm really particular and want to do everything right so i'll probably be asking a lot of questions. thanks

I've read that carnauba doesn't last as long because it's natural, but I also read that it creates sharper reflections.