Waxing/Polishing headlights,

cryptic

Sep 10, 2004
I just replaced the clear/silver housings w/the smoked due to oxidation.
My question is, would waxing/polishing the lamp help protect the plastic against future damage?

Need feedback, Thanks:hail2: :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

this oxidation is mostly from road debris like rocks and what not hitting the plastic as well as crappy material that ford uses...to be honest i wouldnt wax these aftermarket lamps because ive had the wax create the same effect on the plastic (over time) i have the same type of aftermarket lamps on my v6..they have been on for at least a year and a few months and they havent shown any signs of oxidation

Already replaced,

Yeah, I found the article, It's a pretty good write up if you feel like polishing the lenses (everytime you wash the car). It didn't turn out as well for my app.

Plus if you notice in his write up the before pic is of the driver side, and the after is of the pass.

The oxidation does sux. I've tried lots of things over the years, but nothing seems to help me out.
On the plus side I got a buddy who is in the process of starting up his own polishing business and he does plastic too. So when mine get that way I'll just have him polish them for me.

i dont know about aftermarket headlights, but ive been waxing the crap out of my stockers. the car is garaged and dont see the rain. so it is not seeing the same elements as some of yours, butmine look brand new. the car is a 2002 almost 4 yrs old.

Mothers has a new product called "plastic polish" that I was thinking to use on my moms Cougar that have yellowed and look like crap. I haven't used it yet, but here is how they describe the polish..... says that it's supposed to help protect, but who knows.

"PLASTIC POLISH

Bar none, this is the best plastic polish on the market. Whether it's your turn signal lenses, center caps, brake lights, convertible top window or the clear plastic gauge cluster cover, Mothers® Plastic Polish will clean, shine and protect the clear stuff with crystal clarity. This is a true polish-you can buff out hairline scratches, smudges, flaws and little nicks, as well as clean away yellowing and stains from your plastic convertible window. Mothers® Plastic Polish doesn't stop there-it protects your plastics from the sun, smog, water stains and airborne contaminants with a tough layer of polymers."

I've got the Mother's plastic cleaner and polish - stuff works very well, especially on nasty, yellowed headlights. Did it to a friend's neglected headlights and they were amazed (as was I).

I have been using lemon pledge on the nose of my car for 2 1/2 yrs now and it still looks like new..
I polish it normally once pre month, it helps with the impact of objects as they just slide off :hail2: I was told by a very good car detailer that it's basically what they use.

hotdog71 said:
I have been using lemon pledge on the nose of my car for 2 1/2 yrs now and it still looks like new..
I polish it normally once pre month, it helps with the impact of objects as they just slide off :hail2: I was told by a very good car detailer that it's basically what they use.

Pam cooking spray will do the same thing....i rarely ever have to scrub a dead bug off my bumper....they wash right off

hotdog71 said:

your talking about the furniture polish right?? how do u use it?? just spray and wipe or what?? do u use it on all of ur car or juss headlights and stuff like that?? :shrug: sorry for the dumb question, sumtimes things can be used on things which u never even thought of...