Weather strip install?

MUSTANGJOE

Silver Stanger
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
Hey guys,

I'm ordering the 16 piece weather stripping for a 91 vert off 50resto.com,
Has anyone ever installed this? Do I need any adhesive or silicone or clips?
Also I know some pieces have to be riveted! HAs anyone ever tried riveting something...Is it easy?

Thanks

Joe P.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I can't wait for all the good info. we will get from your experience with this install. I just ordered a few pieces for my 93 vert., the back quarter window outside wipes. Those will have to be riveted too. I haven't got the tool yet but I think most Auto stores sell what we need. One piece of advice I do have is go the junkyard and find and old vert. I was there today and found 3 LX's to play on. It will give you and idea of what your up against before you start on your own car. Good luck

I can't wait for all the good info. we will get from your experience with this install. I just ordered a few pieces for my 93 vert., the back quarter window outside wipes. Those will have to be riveted too. I haven't got the tool yet but I think most Auto stores sell what we need. One piece of advice I do have is go the junkyard and find and old vert. I was there today and found 3 LX's to play on. It will give you and idea of what your up against before you start on your own car. Good luck

I just hope the kit comes with all the hardware for the install, I know some weather stips on the verts have to be cliped in with metal clips. I would have to contact 50resto.com I guess!

I am pretty sure 50resto.com has a kit for installing the weatherstripping under 10 bucks.... and about pop riveting it is very easy... you just put a pop rivit in your pop riveter... then drill a hole the size of the pop rivet into the two things your pop riveting together... then you hold the two pieces together.. stick the pop rivet in with the pop riveter.. make sure you put pressure down holding the two pieces together while you squeeze the handle of the pop riveter.. that will mushroom out the back... then you open the handle again... the second time the pop rivet end will snap off and voila... sometimes it takes a third time to snap off... but it is extremely easy... just make sure your pressing the two things together tightly so it doesn't mushroom inbetween the two by accident... cut a pop cans top and bottom off with tin snips and practice on some tin... but don't cut yourself!!!

I just installed the coupe kit. The only rivets I found was with the window wiper (don't remember the real name). I drilled out the old rivets but I used some real short and flat headed screws instead. Don't know about the 'vert though... New rubber is worth it anyway, changes the look of the car, little details go a long way.

I am pretty sure 50resto.com has a kit for installing the weatherstripping under 10 bucks.... and about pop riveting it is very easy... you just put a pop rivit in your pop riveter... then drill a hole the size of the pop rivet into the two things your pop riveting together... then you hold the two pieces together.. stick the pop rivet in with the pop riveter.. make sure you put pressure down holding the two pieces together while you squeeze the handle of the pop riveter.. that will mushroom out the back... then you open the handle again... the second time the pop rivet end will snap off and voila... sometimes it takes a third time to snap off... but it is extremely easy... just make sure your pressing the two things together tightly so it doesn't mushroom inbetween the two by accident... cut a pop cans top and bottom off with tin snips and practice on some tin... but don't cut yourself!!!

Thanks!

So I got to drill out the old rivets and they just come right off?

keep us posted..pics of the kit will help big time..im putting together a bunch of things from 5.0 resto...im gonna get all the weather strips and molding for my vert in a month or so... hope the parts r good quality! us aluminum rivets or stainless! dont forget

All of your door jambs/hatch/trunk & sunroof (if applicaple) just slids,or gets pressed onto the channel that's there.

You should be able to peel off the doors,trunk or hatch and sunroof get her all sealed back up in about 30 min.It's very easy to do.

The proper way to install the doors/sunroof/hatch or trunk area is to place one hand on the new rubber while stretching and pushing down with your other hand,working your way around the area.This enables the rubber to bite down and fit nice and snug.;)

Thanks guys ,

Anyone know what those weatherstrip looking thing on the door jam near the quarter window? It is riveted...looks more like a rubber patch.

thxs

the one on top of the door striker?? no one has those, i cant find it anywhere!!i was thinking of making my own with a thin piece of rubber sheet

Yeah Thats the one!!

I was thinking of making my own too but I wanted to see if I can find it first.

If anyone knows were I can get please let me know

Thanks!

Joe P.