Weighed my '94 Cobra, results inside

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
Since I'll be adding a lot of new suspension/chassis parts to the car over the next week I decided to get it weighed prior to messing with it. I figured I'd post it here in case anyone else wanted to know what these cars weigh. Here's the specs on the car:

-1994 Mustang Cobra with cloth seats and non-mach 460 stereo
-off road X pipe
-shorty headers
-BBK chrome strut tower brace
-Morpheous power pipe
-FULL tank of fuel
-no spare/jack/trunk carpet... no other items were removed

The car came in at exactly 3300lbs without me. I'm actually happy with that all things considered. It'll be interesting to see how much it weighs after I install all the MM suspension parts I have sitting here ready to go on.

• Sponsors (?)

-off road X pipe - cats add 35#
-shorty headers -
-Morpheous power pipe
-FULL tank of fuel
-no spare/jack/trunk carpet - 35#

3370 stock

You guys are right, there is a lot of savings to be had yet. I dropped 68lbs with my coil-over/tubular K member/A arms on my '95 so that plus my AFR 165 heads will be over 100lbs! If I give up the backseat, AC, smog stuff, run 1/4 tank of fuel, add a lightweight battery and race seats I may be coming in around or under 3000lbs!

3300 is pretty good. I figured with the roll bar and all that you would have been at least 3450....

Did you also get a f/r on it?

I don't have a roll bar in this car. This car is 100% stock other than the items I mentioned above. My '95 has the roll bar. I did not get a f/r on it and I don't plan to until I add all of my new parts and move some weight around.

Pokageek said:
-off road X pipe - cats add 35#
-shorty headers -
-Morpheous power pipe
-FULL tank of fuel
-no spare/jack/trunk carpet - 35#

3370 stock

Although I agree the offroad X and spare/tire/jack removal all reduce weight, I don't believe there is 70lbs between them. I can easily weigh the spare/jack/spare this weekend and know on them, but all I can do for the X pipe currently is to weigh the stocker and see what it comes in at. I may have to remove the X in order to lengthen the tubes for the torque arm, but I won't know that for a few days. Don't forget the cobras did not come with a strut tower brace either so that also added some weight to the car.

what MM parts did you get?

I plan to start a "buildup" thread with pics as soon as I take them but here is a little taste:

-MM HD torque arm
-MM panhard bar
-MM adjustable rear sway bar
-MM road race LCA's
-MM CC plates
-MM XL subframe connectors
-Bilstien coil-over shocks with 8" 325lb springs
-Koni SA sport struts
-BBK strut tower brace
-17x9 anniversary cobra wheels with 275 series Kuhmo V710 DOT race tires

I still need to order a coil-over kit for the front and then I'm done for the year. I still want to add a harness bar, tubular A arms, K member, SS brake lines, race seats, etc but they'll have to wait until next year.

Right now I plan to keep the AC but that may change. As for the weight, a 94-95 coupe almost always come in around 3350lbs in stock trim give or take, they don't weigh 3500lbs. The 'verts come close to that though.

I don't have a roll bar in this car. This car is 100% stock other than the items I mentioned above. My '95 has the roll bar. I did not get a f/r on it and I don't plan to until I add all of my new parts and move some weight around.

Although I agree the offroad X and spare/tire/jack removal all reduce weight, I don't believe there is 70lbs between them. I can easily weigh the spare/jack/spare this weekend and know on them, but all I can do for the X pipe currently is to weigh the stocker and see what it comes in at. I may have to remove the X in order to lengthen the tubes for the torque arm, but I won't know that for a few days. Don't forget the cobras did not come with a strut tower brace either so that also added some weight to the car.

Good idea. Please report back - dont forget the trunk mat. KEEP the AC Paul. I thought you wanted this car more user friendly than the other?

"Although I agree the offroad X and spare/tire/jack removal all reduce weight, I don't believe there is 70lbs between them. I can easily weigh the spare/jack/spare this weekend and know on them, but all I can do for the X pipe currently is to weigh the stocker and see what it comes in at. I may have to remove the X in order to lengthen the tubes for the torque arm, but I won't know that for a few days. Don't forget the cobras did not come with a strut tower brace either so that also added some weight to the car."

Any update on those weights paul? On the spare/jack/rear carpet/cover and stock H?

Bosko- I'm still keeping with my plan to not "over do it" with this car and that is why the engine mods have thus far been kept at a minimal. Suspension work will be a welcome addition on the street, as long as these stiff springs don't make me loose my teeth over bumps!

"Although I agree the offroad X and spare/tire/jack removal all reduce weight, I don't believe there is 70lbs between them. I can easily weigh the spare/jack/spare this weekend and know on them, but all I can do for the X pipe currently is to weigh the stocker and see what it comes in at. I may have to remove the X in order to lengthen the tubes for the torque arm, but I won't know that for a few days. Don't forget the cobras did not come with a strut tower brace either so that also added some weight to the car."

Any update on those weights paul? On the spare/jack/rear carpet/cover and stock H?

No update. I haven't had time to think let alone weigh those parts. I broke a motor mount bolt off in my block over the weekend and getting that fixed is now my #1 problem/concern as well as installing all of my suspension parts. I will do my best to remember to weigh this stuff after I get the important things done that I need to do.

KamiKaziDK- I honestly don't know. I never looked into them as I will never have a mustanbg without a tubular K member as they make life SO MUCH EASIER when working on the car and the 4pt brace will not work with it. I may put my convertible 4pt brace on my cobra though until I get a tubular K member in it.