Weird clutch Grip point?????

AirWolf87

Mar 14, 2004
L I, NY
Ive had my mustang 3 months i noticed that the clutch grips reeeeely high! (not to mention the insanely long travel) Every other car ive driven the clutch grips right at the floor and travels a lot less while mine grips as soon as you press it down maybe just before halfway down. Are all mustangs like that? If so WHY?? and if its just mine how do i change make it grip at a lower point....im losing a lot of time on shifts because of the clutch. Pluss its a b**ch in town driving because my leg has to trave all the way up almost touching my knee to the wheel...and im not that tall:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

clutch time? If not, if you are running a stock clutch cable and quadrant. Stick your toe under the clutch pedal and pull up, you should feel it click. That is how you adjust the stock ones. Put some muscle into it, it takes some force to do. If you look at the quadrant it has a gear pattern on it. Thats what that is for. Good Luck!

I've got the exact same problem as AirWolf87. Anyone know how to fix this?
New King Cobra clutch kit, Steeda 'red' quick release, steep ramp quadrant, Steeda firewall adjuster, adjustable cable installed in Feb 04 and it's been this way since then - HELP!

Mine is the same way. It was like this with the stock clutch, then I put in a custom Dual Friction King Cobra clutch and it was still the same. It grabs really high. I installed the BBK clutch quadrant and adjustable cable, didn't help, if I try to adjust it down any bit at all I have a hard time getting into gear.
I just bought a TKO-500 and Mcleod dual friction clutch along with a Steeda Clutch quadrant, Firewall ajuster and cable. Hopefully I works.

Is it really a problem with the clutch kits or the way they were installed? I'd think (and I may be way wrong) that you'd be able to adjust these friggin things to release without your knee hitting the steering wheel...? Anybody ever adjusted the release point with success or should I be looking at just going back to a stock clutch?

I've got the adjustable cable, firewall adjuster and both the blue 2 pickup steeda quad and their red steep ramp, quick release quad, which is currently in the car. The firewall adjuster only adjusts a little bit. I wouldn't know how to adjust the adjustable cable at the trannie -I mean, I know how to get to it and actually change it, but I wouldn't know what to change it to...
Know what I mean?
Is there any hope is changing the release point? This is majorly frustrating.

This is a good thread..Personally I prefer having a high shift point, after i added the Steeda adj, clutch quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster my shift point was raised. I HATE the feel of mush in the clutch that alot of stockers can have. That being said, it is not right practically having your knee hitting the back of the steering wheel because there is so much clutch travel. That is why im curious why i havent seen posts or heard people talking about a kit that lowers the clutch pedal down even several inches to help eliminate that. Does anyone know of one, or does anyone out there use one?? :shrug:

:D
SonicBlue2v03GT said:
This is a good thread..Personally I prefer having a high shift point, after i added the Steeda adj, clutch quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster my shift point was raised. I HATE the feel of mush in the clutch that alot of stockers can have. That being said, it is not right practically having your knee hitting the back of the steering wheel because there is so much clutch travel. That is why im curious why i havent seen posts or heard people talking about a kit that lowers the clutch pedal down even several inches to help eliminate that. Does anyone know of one, or does anyone out there use one?? :shrug:
Seriously!! and the clutch is so much harder than other cars i have driven...by the end of the summer my left leg is going to be f****** Huge!

SonicBlue2v03GT said:

I have it, it lowers the clutch pedal, but the clutch still grabs at the very top.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/CL-7.asp

lasrred99gt said:
I have it, it lowers the clutch pedal, but the clutch still grabs at the very top.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/CL-7.asp

Sweet man. Only 20 bucks too. :nice:

wonder how much of a pain to install. I think i might make this happen. And i have been on MM's site having fantasy hour about getting some sweet suspension parts many times

All things being adjusted the same, a thinner clutch disc results in engagement at progressively higher pedal positions. Thick new disc should engage lower if no linkage adjustment is made. As wear occurs, the engagement point should be higher and higher until the disc is worn out. Automatic linkage adjuster should keep the engagement point close to the center of the pedal range. Dump the clutch with the car in neutral several times and see if it adjusts up. If it doesn't, perhaps the auto adjuster needs some lubrication.