Engine Weird Idle Problems

omarimoe

May 4, 2014
Before everyone suggests i read the bad idle checklist i already have and everything has seemed to check out ok. On start-up when cod the car will start and then die. If i hold the throttle open a bit the car will stay running and after warm idles like crap for a while then randomly dies. now here is the weird part. If the hood is closed the car starts and idles nice and smooth just high like 1800-2000. As soon as i open the hood to play with the idle screw it runs like crap and dies in about 15-20 seconds. The car has a Cirvinis fiber glass hood on it. I have no idea why the car runs better with the hood closed but when i get the hood to about halfway open it starts idling funny and dying. I checked to see if there were worn wires around the hinges that might be completing a ground or something but found nothing. I am at a loss and need help.

• Sponsors (?)

ill add that the car currently only has the upper air intake tube and the mass air meter connected. I have a CAI on the way from late model restoration but could the fan cause my idle problem if its blowing air around the engine bay? The only other thing i could think of is if theres a loose wire behind the firewall that the hood hinges are hitting when the hood closes.

ill add that the car currently only has the upper air intake tube and the mass air meter connected. I have a CAI on the way from late model restoration but could the fan cause my idle problem if its blowing air around the engine bay? The only other thing i could think of is if theres a loose wire behind the firewall that the hood hinges are hitting when the hood closes.

And what wire is that?

Just so I understand correctly, you are running the car with no filter on the maf? That's a huge no no and causes all sorts of issue due to turbulence.

Reactions: 1 user
Just so I understand correctly, you are running the car with no filter on the maf? That's a huge no no and causes all sorts of issue due to turbulence.

Yes. I got the car that way and since I havnt been driving it yet, basically just finishing everything up and letting the car idle I didnt think much of it. I got the shipping confirmation on my CAI today so I should see it within a week. Its pouring rain today so I havnt had a chance to even start messing with the car today.

Your maf will have all sorts of bad readings and your car won't idle correctly. What cai did you order?

Their SVE fenderwell kit. It does make sense that fanwash could make the readings all screwy. If it ever stops raining ill connect some spare piping and see if it makes any difference. Im pretty sure I have to reset my idle and ill double check my tps.

I stole some intake piping of another car today and what do you know the car idles mint lol. I didnt think it really would have made that big of a difference but I guess you learn something everyday. Now I just have to set my timing with a light and button up a few things and the car is ready for street use.