Weird problem

kevin_

Jul 17, 2010
The other day I went swimming it drove fine started up got me there got me back. But when I went to go start it so I could leave, it started to have weird problems. The battery keeps resetting, the battery gauge and fuel gauge go all the way to the right. The fuel pump I believe keeps clicking on and off. We checked the engine ground strap even got a volt meter on it. Tried to jump it, and checked all the fuses. It's a 94' 3.8 liter bored and stroked out to 4.1 with a 5 speed, about 100k miles.

I am really stumped here. Any help would be nice. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a classic dead battery or battery cable corrosion. Clean the battery clamps and check the grounds to make sure they are secure.

What do you mean the battery kept resetting? Did it make a chattering sound when you tried to crank, or did it do something else?

The guages performing a full sweep is a classic sign that power was removed from the cluster/PCM.

+1 on check your battery. The battery has an internal open or the battery cables are loose/dirty. Throughly inspect both positive and negative cables. Look for hidden corrosion insdie the battery cables. Corroded cables will be brittle when flexed.

The positive battery clamp is bad about breaking if over tightened. I have fixed several by getting a replacement flat clamp. Next cut off the end of the stock clamp. Drill out the bolt. Then bolt the old battery cable "stub" to the new terminal.

So start by cleaning. Then go to the autoparts store for a battery test. While there, have your alternator tested.