weird sound after header install???

jakef7

Feb 22, 2011
Texas
I just had some Pypes Shorty Headers installed on my car and now I'm getting a weird pulsating spitting noise coming from underneath car/engine bay area. You can hear it when you rev the motor. It gets worse when its under load. Could this be a header gasket leak? Would really appreciate some help.

• Sponsors (?)

If it sounds like pst-pst-pst, then it's likely a header gasket leak or even a leak where your exhaust bolts to the headers or h-pipe crossover joint. If it's a gasket leak you'll hear it all the time, even after the car is warmed-up. If it's a leak at the header/exhuast joint, then it will most likely go away once the car is warmed-up. However one thing to consider is headers do sound differently then the stock manifolds so be sure there really is a leak. I would recommend going out to the car after it has sat all night and start it up, lift the hood and take a good listen to see if you can hear where it's coming from. Or, take it back to the place that did the install and tell them you have a leak.

Hey I really appreciate the help. I'm going to take my car back to the shop Monday and get it fixed. I'm really hoping it is an exhaust leak because if these headers just naturally sound that way they are coming off! It sounds terrible. I'm embarassed to even drive the car now. It does have a PST PST PST PST PST PST sound. Its pulsating and gets louder as you accelerate.