Weird Stalling and Difficult to Start at Times!! Please Help!

MadHandle8169

Founding Member
May 5, 2002
Brick, NJ
My car has been acting funny lately I think it has been since I installed the Nitrous. I retarded the timing back to a little less than stock. Ever since then my car takes a couple cranks to start when it is hot out. The heat may not be a factor but it seems to me it only happens when it's really hot out. Other days she will start up first crank it's strange. My car also stalled while driving twice which scared the ***** out of me because the steering wheel locked up. Luckily, i was only doing about 10MPH around my GF's neighborhood or that could have been bad. I don't want to ruin my starter. Does this sound like a bad battery? My car runs fine when regular driving, idles fine, and pulls great on the nitrous. So I think it's an ignition/electrical problem. Anyone have similar problems and or know a cure. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

MadHandle,

Had the same/similar problem with my '95 GTS about 4-5 years back. I'd be driving along (even on the freeway!) and it would die on me! It didn't lock up the wheel, but scared the hell out of me at 70mph! Turned out to be the Stator and TFI module inside the distributor. Have a competent ignition shop diagnose & replace it if necessary is my suggestion.

StangRider1

MadHandle8169 said:
My car has been acting funny lately I think it has been since I installed the Nitrous. I retarded the timing back to a little less than stock. Ever since then my car takes a couple cranks to start when it is hot out. The heat may not be a factor but it seems to me it only happens when it's really hot out. Other days she will start up first crank it's strange. My car also stalled while driving twice which scared the ***** out of me because the steering wheel locked up. Luckily, i was only doing about 10MPH around my GF's neighborhood or that could have been bad. I don't want to ruin my starter. Does this sound like a bad battery? My car runs fine when regular driving, idles fine, and pulls great on the nitrous. So I think it's an ignition/electrical problem. Anyone have similar problems and or know a cure. Thanks.

Ive been having the same problem with my 347 First start is fine but once the cars been hot it doesnt want to fire up on the first try and i have to try a couple times before the car starts.. The car also idles at about 800rpms as well the shaker style idle as i call it .Then when i put the car into a gear sometimes it will stall out unless i give it some gas. And the car stalled on me while i was driving only twice but in the same day ont he way home from the store.. I wasnt happy about that.. Still havnt figured it out.. I thought of the starter to maybe get a Hi-tqe mini starter. Just havnt had the time to toy with it

A starter shouldn't make the car stall on you. I'd pull the codes and see what you come up with. If the car stalls when it heats up, your TFI module might be the culprit. They are prone to freak out when they get hot. The TFI sends the base timing to the PCM, then the PCM determines timing advance, sends it back to the coil through the TFI. So if the TFI goes out, then your spark goes out. But pull the codes and see what's up.

It's not so much that the motor is hot it was that the temperature is real hot. I was also thinking the distributor as well. Today it started first try I back out of my driveway and stalled. It started again I went to drive and it stalled again. Then it did the same thiing so I put it back in the driveway and took my moms car to my GF's. The problem has gotten progressively worse. It is also really frustrating. Thanks for the posts so far.