Weld ins vs. Cat back,

• Sponsors (?)

most aftermarket cat-backs are 2.5", whereas the stock tubing is 2.25". hence, you get better exhaust flow with a full cat-back. while you may pick-up a tad more power from a cat-back over weld-ins, the overall gain from either is marginal. you probably only gain 1-3 hp with a cat-back. its the mid-pipe that give you the power. cat-back is more for sound.

deftsound said:
i have weld in dynomax's, i dont really see any point in getting a full catback. Get a straight through muffler like dynomax or magnaflow
there are benefits to a cat-back. mandrel bending and larger diameter results in smoother/better exhaust flow, resulting in more power, however minimal it may be. also if longevity is an issue, you can purchase a stainless steel cat-back that will not rust or corrode like the stock tubing and mufflers, or even aluminum aftermarket cat-backs. in the end, its all what you want and what works best for your application/wallet.

Unburnt fuel does not necessarily mean rich. It could be that he is running with no cats and there is fuel vapor that condenses in the tubing, and is subsequently relieved when there is ample pressure buildup to blast it out (revving or WOT).

I ran my car with just an open o/r prochamber for a day and a half.. holy hell that thing sounded LOUD!! It wasnt a nice tone either :( It sounded like straight up ass while I was getting on it. Just sitting there and driving in low rpm's it did sound badass tho!