Welding classes...Worth it or just get a Video?

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
I want to get into the welding game but just for a hobby, nothing serious. I have done some searching on Google and I havent found many places that teach welding close enough to my house(closest is in NH, like 70+miles away). Im thinking of just getting a video and a book (and a welder duh). I like the idea of a video better because I can watch it all happen rather than read and guess about whats supposed to be going on.

My welding goals include the following:
Weld up the holes in my engine bay
Weld in some full length subframes
A do-it-myself turbo kit
I will leave the eventual roll cage to the professionals

What do you guys think? I guess I dont need to do too much but I am sure my floor boards are going to rust out some day so it would be nice to be able to know how to fix that eventual problem-hopefully thats a long way down the road.
Do I need classes for all that stuff or can I just practice and be good at it?
-fawcett

• Sponsors (?)

I think the best thing to do is just get a welder and some plate and practice, practice, practice. Just go to town after reading on the subject first though...like the basics. I would pick up a book on how to weld though for pointers and tips that will be in print to look at any time.

Although they might have some good machines and you could see whether you like arc, mig, or tig the best... if you get a welder and start practicing, that's a good bet.

you might want to watch a vid or see somebody demonstrate it. I'm sure you could google it and find a good little vid or description

If not mentioned, some community colleges offer classes. Seems to me like a good (and not too pricey) way to go.

Good luck with it.

Im taking the classes at the community college, very well worth it, the guy teaching it is the head instructor at lincoln elec. I started with oxyfuel, then i took stick, then i learned TIG really fast (im very good at TIG), now mig and flux cored is this semester. It is very much worth the money. To do roll cages, you need to be certified. There are different certs for everything. I'm currently looking for a good TIG welding job, the pay for welders starts aorund $20 an hour.

ExplodingGopher:
First off, your sig is friggin hilarious! Haha Im still laughing about it, that guy sounds like one of my friends friends who swears imports are the only way to go. I guess he watched 2fast2furious too many times or something....

So if you dont mind, roughly how much would it cost me to take two semesters of welding classes? Im obviously comming from zero experience. You mentioned that welding a cage in requires certification, will you be certified after you complete your two welding semesters?

My car will definatly (some day $ permitting) need a roll cage. Since I do not have any access to the necessary metal working tools I would buy a pre-bent cage from a reputable company but is it a requirement to be certified to do that? I have done some internet searching and I have read many times about how important quality welds are for maintaining structural integrity and that only a trained eye can tell the difference between a good weld and a great weld.
Thanks in advance,
-fawcett

You'd have to contact your local community college for prices because the costs range from each college and depending on some things. You need to take the classes first to learn the techniques, types of welds for that process, and after you do the classes, they have during the summer a community learning class in which you can practice whatever welding process you want and get certified in it. To weld on chromemoly steel for rollcages, you need the aerospace certification, i think its ~ $100 for the test.

I am in my last simester of welding i can "do" any type of welding now, but i wanna get certified in MIG, and especially TIG, thats were the money is at and you will use it the most if you want a welding job, my TIG welding job pays $23 an hour.

If you want to take the classes, start from the beginning with oxyfuel welding/cutting/brazing/soldering. That will set you up for TIG, it'll teach you torch control. Stick welding would be next, used mainly for industrial processes, but useful to know, it can be hard to do sometimes with the different rods and positions. After that is the MIG/TIG/Flux-cored classes, I started my TIG training early because my instructor felt i was that good, i was making perfect TIG welds on stainless steel (pretty difficult stuff to weld on when its 20 gauge) my first day all because of the oxyfuel class setting me up for it.

Its nice to have someone with 30+ years of experience in welding look over your welds and tell you what you can do to make it better, what you're not doing or doing incorrectly, etc. Like everyone else said too, the best way to learn is to do it, and you'll get plenty of arc time with the classes. The training from the school is in deed worth every penny, i highly recommend taking the classes.

GreenMustangGt said:
i learned by just practicing. you cant learn welding any other way IMO, you can get the basic idea from vids, ect but the best way is just go out and burn some steel.

Ditto. No other way. So a video will be very helpful, as it will get you started, and you can teach yourself.

And since you aren't doing any fancy welding (i.e. certain applications demand different welding application styles, s & c welds, etc), all you need to learn is to tack & run a continuous bead.

The one thing I will say is that learning voltage & wire speed control is something you may want to be shown. I am sure the video will go through it, but show a few pieces you think are good to a expert welder and see what he think. It's nice to get some inspection of your work, so you know for sure that you did it right. I have seen "shallow" welding that upon closer inspection showed little penetration, etc...
Scott

So this is great, no class needed just practice.
What welder(s) are needed to install subframe connectors and fill the holes in my engine bay before I glass over everything?

Kyle how much practice did you do before going to town on your car? What welder(s) did you use? You are one of my inspirations for giving this a try.
thanks,
-fawcett

On the recommendation of someone on a different forum (where I asked for recommendations for welders) I purchased this welder -- Clarke 130EN MIG Welder http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200311005&R=200311005

It has everything included... Cart, welder, 2 spools of wire (One MIG, one Flux-Cored) instructional video, Gas-Conversion & facemask. It's very easy to pick up, and I'd definitely recommend it!