Welding the stock rear end

A67StangMaster

May 4, 2005
San Jose CA
Ok so the other day my friend told me that if I wanted a very cheap way of making my car launch better would be to weld the rear end.
What dose he mean by welding the rear end?
How would I go about getting this done?
Would it be better for my car?
I have a stock 8" rear and want to do a upgrade but dont have much funds :(

Thanks agian.

• Sponsors (?)

he's talking about welding the spider gears which effectively turns your rearend into a spool. i wouldn't do it on a street car but for a drag only car it would be ok, we used to do it to the dirt track rearend in my buddies old race car and pretty much every dirt track racer does it too, also common in off roading as well and drag racing too of course.

humm..
I am thinking about changing to rear end gears I dont really have the money for a 9" but i could probley do a 8" gear swap.
I am shooting for a Street/Strip car. what would be the best setup for me? I been hearing that 4.11 were good.

You live in San Jose? Check out Mustang Ranch, great store, they will help you find what is best for you, then go buy it on summit.

I'd go with 3.73 so you don't lose all your top end.

I have the rear axle in my truck welded. It's was done as a "fozzy locker" (or at least that's what I'm told it's called) meaning that the spider gears arn't welded together, but rather a couple of spider gear teeth have had the gap between them filled with weld. This allows about 1/2 of a wheel revolution before the rear end locks.

It's worked great through a few years of pretty rough 4x4ing. However, it's also a 14bolt rear axle (the toughest axle Chev built). I tried welding the front axle (10 bolt), but it broke every time I got into some good 4wheelin.

Some things to consider:
- Welding the rear axle puts a lot of stress on it, especially in a "fozzy locker" configuration.
- It will hurt handling on tight corners.
- It will increase tire wear.

You live in San Jose? Check out Mustang Ranch, great store, they will help you find what is best for you, then go buy it on summit.

I'd go with 3.73 so you don't lose all your top end.

Yea I have been there a couple of times, the last time I was there no one ever helped me, they allways seem to busy doing somthing. anyways I am going to do what you said ask them then buy it on summit lol. cant beat summits prices. lol

Don't weld it, my bud welded his 9 inch on his galaxi it distorted the ring gear now it howles and shakes. it will probly take out the bearings in the rear end, not to mention the spatter from welding and if the weld breaks it will throw shrapnel throughout your rear end.

i had a spool in my (effectivly the same thing as welding) 70 mustang and i had 9.5 inch wide mt slicks on it aswell.

i would reccomend a "mini" spool thats where you buy a kit that replaces the spider gears. im sure i scene one for $150 one time for a 9 inch but i could be wrong.

If your car is a moderate driver go for the "mini", it wont corner as good, if you have the coals to it in a corner youll break loose (not always a bad thing) and it will wear tires faster and scruff in parking lots. but i drove around lots with mine locked up and it was fine. it will hook up way way better. if you drive it on slippery winter roads dont do it.

-gbm-