Well, here's how far I am with the EFI swap.

stackz, those are 30s. The guy who used to own the engine was giong to stroke it, ect. So he put in the 30s. I am putting stock 19s back in it before I drive it.

WORTH, whatsa matter? Afraid of technology? I'm actually very excited to see a computer in an old car. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Speed_Demon1965 said:
stackz, those are 30s. The guy who used to own the engine was giong to stroke it, ect. So he put in the 30s. I am putting stock 19s back in it before I drive it.

WORTH, whatsa matter? Afraid of technology? I'm actually very excited to see a computer in an old car. :D

It's not FEAR, I work on them every day. It's more taking a simple machine and making it complicated. I drive a 70 ragtop,69 coupe, 65 pickup , and I'm building a 46 pickup. Everyone of them is a JOY to work on, nice and simple.

To me the advantages of an EFI system are far outwayed by the simplicity of a carb and points. Besides, I'll never have to be towed, You will. :D

Complicated? EFI is complicated?

Anyway, I hate carburetors. They can flood easily, run too rich easily, gotta tune them, blah blah blah. I'd rather just get in my car crank the key and start it and take off if I want with zero problems ever.

You talk like EFI brakes down more than a carbed car. I very rarely see any fuel injected vehicles "broke down" due to the EFI system. I see more cars aroun here having carburetor troubles than anything.
:shrug:

I'm also doing the efi swap in my stang, but for what it's worth here's my defense of carbs. My 289 is bone stock, with the ole autolite 2100 and all. Now in the past three years the car has only left me stranded three times I can think of. And guess what, all of them were related to the carb. In march this year, I decided to just rebuild the thing instead of going with the whole 4barrel/intake deal like I was going to.

Heh, for 17 bucks, I got a rebuild kit from napa, it took me a couple hours, cause I took my sweet time, and it was all back together that evening. I didn't even soak it ovenight or any of that stuff, because frankly I didn't care for it, I was doing the efi swap soon anyways. In the end, I tell you my car has never been more reliable and has started on first crank from may to sept without touching the gas pedal. I couldn't believe it was the same leaky dripping carb from before.

Now this was my first time rebuilding a carb, and it was real easy. I hear the four barrels take a bit more expertise to tune and drive properly. I wouldn't know, never had one. I am still going with the computer though, as staging for things to come.....cough cough -boost- cough:D

Speed_Demon1965 said:
Complicated? EFI is complicated?

Anyway, I hate carburetors. They can flood easily, run too rich easily, gotta tune them, blah blah blah. I'd rather just get in my car crank the key and start it and take off if I want with zero problems ever.

You talk like EFI brakes down more than a carbed car. I very rarely see any fuel injected vehicles "broke down" due to the EFI system. I see more cars aroun here having carburetor troubles than anything.
:shrug:

That's 'cause you don't have to work on them every day :D , I spend most of my day on computer problems. On the rare occasion I get an old Carb/points car in it takes a few minutes to diagnose instead of a few hours. The old cars are an Art, a bunch of low tech parts thrown together to make a running driving machine. Nothing fancy just a car :D

I'm building my 46 pickup from the ground up, doing some chassis mods to make it driveable at todays speeds, putting a carbed/point Y block in it with a 1956 3 spd/OD trans out of a t-bird. Nice and simple. It should be the last pickup truck I need for the rest of my short life :D And if it breaks down, I can always get it home with a screwdriver and bailing wire :D

Well at least you guys are working on your cars. Mine is still sitting in my shop collecting dust cause I'm 1: Too lazy to work on it or 2: Burned out working on it.

I just need to find someone to buy the whole car and be done with it. :(

blown65, currently my project is at idle. I'm still waiting on that damn wiring harness. Called him last Wednesday and he said I was third on the list. I promptly told him, "NO, I am first on the list, understand?" So we then talked about how many people are actually READY for the wiring harness when they get it. He said most people aren't completely ready for it when they get it. I told him I am 100% ready for it, I can't do anything else to my car until I get that harness. He said he was going to finish it up that afternoon and get it sent out. And we took back the money on the credit card because the 60 day limit was coming up. So I have the money back in my possesion and will gladly give it back to him when I get my harness. So, we tried calling him to tell him what was going on because the CC company was going to be contacting him. So far, he has either been gone or no one has answered the phone at his place. I live in Iowa and he lives in Michigan. If he were to finish it Wed. and ship it the next day I should have had it buy now. Or he should have at least answered his phone or something. So, I'm going to give it a few more days (probably until the end of the week) and after that I'm going to say **** it. Then, I will go to the junk yard and get a harness of off a Fox Mustang and just modify it to work. Pray for me! LOL

Ya, mine is from a 92 stang, just looking at it it should work pretty well. Might have to mod it here and there to make it the way I like and not look like such a mess. But for the 180 bucks I paid for harness and computer and distributor Im not complaining. :p

This was done using a fox set up on my coupe.

Excuse how dirty it is I haven't had a chance to finish it up and put the hood back on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00534.JPE
    DSC00534.JPE
    15.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00535.JPE
    DSC00535.JPE
    15.6 KB · Views: 201
Fostang, you got some pics! lol

It appears you don't have anything for shock tower braces in those pics. Do you have anything on it now? If so, what did you use?

On a side note: My wiring harness is on it's way!!! Ryan called me last night and told me it was on it's way and was currently in Chicago. :nice:
It's about time to start putting the finishing touches on this project, but unfortunately it will probably be snowing out when I finish it up. :notnice:

I see.

Hey, I'm pretty excited right now. My wiring harness got here! They must have over-nighted it or something. Oh well! I will be starting the installation today. :D

The harness is really, really nice BTW.

blown65 said:
Well at least you guys are working on your cars. Mine is still sitting in my shop collecting dust cause I'm 1: Too lazy to work on it or 2: Burned out working on it.

I just need to find someone to buy the whole car and be done with it. :(

I was wonduring why i havnt seen your car around in quite some time. Tell the tale man, why is it in the garage collecting dust. I thought you had a blown carbed engine.