well, i bought my car back.....too

TX MACH 1

Dec 20, 2002
Leander, TX
I sold a 1995 Canary Yellow GT back in Oct 1998 to a fella up in Plano TX, over the years he had a Sportsman Alum.351 w/Vortech stuffed in it and had to part with the engine combo last year. He finially got a motor back in the car this year. I recently bought the car back after seven years and he had only put 7,000 miles on during that time. Car has some sentimental value to my wife & I both so this was one of the main reasons we got it back, plus now we have a project car.

here is the current stuff that I know of-

Rebuilt Stock 1987 302cid Shortblock w/stock Ford forged aluminum pistons
1995 Cobra cam
Cloyes double-roller adjustable timing set
Nearly-new take-off Ford GT-40P heads
Stock valvetrain
New Ford SN95 stainless shorty headers for GT-40P heads
Custom X-pipe with high-flow cats
2-1/2” Dynamax catback
K&N FIPK air filter kit for SN95
Stock TB and upper/lower intakes
Brand-new 255lph fuel pump
Brand-new fuel lines from pump to rails
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Stock 19lb injectors
Stock EEC-IV
Crane PS-91 coil
FMS 8mm plug wires
Optima Red battery
Stock flywheel
Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
FMS T-5 Z-code transmission
Fox bodystyle bellhousing/clutch fork (required by Z-code trans)
Precision Shaft Technologies custom aluminum driveshaft
Forte clutch adjuster in firewall
B&M Ripper billet shifter
Lakewood driveshaft safety loop
FMS 3.55 gears
H&R Sport springs
Steeda aluminum rear lower control arms
FMS HD rear upper control arms
Tokico struts/shocks
Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates
Cobra 13" front brakes
Cobra master cylinder & brake booster
GT rear brakes
Earl’s stainless steel flex lines throughout
Russell Speed-Bleeders on all calipers
’95 Cobra front and rear bumper covers
’95 Cobra R fiberglass hood
’95 Cobra R wheels
Nitto NT-555 Extreme / NT-555-R tires

I also currently have a '03 Mach 1 and '04 Lightning so the Yellow GT feels pretty slow. I'm thinking of getting a GT-40 intake, 65mm t-body and maybe a stock air box (to replace the huge K&N cone out in the hot air currently). Taking the mufflers off and replacing with a set of flowmaster mufflers (it's so quiet now :( )

I also think the smog pump is shot, it's groaning a lot with the rpm's.

Long term plans will include a fresh coat of canary yellow throughout so the motor will need to come out. Thinking of doing a 331 then and replace with some AFR or TFS heads as well as a new bumpstick.

What is the deal on the PCM in the 1994-1995 GTs? Are they not very mod friendly? Any suggestions? Are the '94/'95 Cobra PCM's the same as the GTs or any better?

thanks in advance for any help/tips :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Whats up?

The cobra pcm's have a different tune than the gt's. If you end up modding it you can allways get a tweecer and ask daren woodall on aas to help you with the tuning.Or have jim at ccs tune it.

You can also download the tweecer software and look at the cobra and gt tunes and see whats different.

sounds like u have somewhat of a good start but you need to get that stock intake off. the k&n is fine for now, but i would get either a cold air kit or a powerpipe. dont' get a stock box, worse than what you have now.

Unless that intake is ported, it's probably doing its best to limit your power production. If you end up running a Cobra tune (which would make sense considering the heads and cam) you're also going to want to upgrade to 24lb/hr injectors. In the '94/'95 Cobras, they used the same MAF as the GT, but the computer was programmed for the 24lb/hr injectors.

thanks for the responses.

Maybe for now I'll see if I can get a Cobra PCM and the 24lb injectors as well as the GT40 intake, 94/95 adapter, 65mm T-body and maybe a intake spacer as well. Later down the road when we pull the engine to do all the body/paint work we can work on a stroked motor and some good heads.

Here is a pic from 1997 when I had it, exterior still looks the same minus some rock chips and curb rashed wheels now :nonono:
95gtfront.jpg

I also removed the Cobra badges and replaced with Tri-Bar Ponies :nice:

TX MACH 1 said:
I also currently have a '03 Mach 1 and '04 Lightning so the Yellow GT feels pretty slow. I'm thinking of getting a GT-40 intake, 65mm t-body and maybe a stock air box (to replace the huge K&N cone out in the hot air currently). Taking the mufflers off and replacing with a set of flowmaster mufflers (it's so quiet now :( )
if you are looking for a gt40 intake, i will sell you mine. it is a gt40 tubular intake with the lower professionally ported to a felpro1250 gasket. the only problem it has is that the front right upper intake bolt hole cracked and was rewelded (it bolts up perfectly and is structurally as strong as it was). let me know if you are interested since i want to drop a performer rpm in there for a bit more top end power. also, if you are interested in a set of 30's, i have those available too.

yes,
Lightning is my daily, I try to avoid the wet roads though if possible (3yrs to go)
Mach 1 is my wife's daily (2 yrs to go)
Ranger gets shared between us (paid for)
Mustang GT is a weekend project car for both of us (paid for)

:nice:

My only advice would be to put the money you would put towards a cobra eec towards a tuner like a PMS, tweecer, etc. Doesnt make much sense to me, unless something is wrong with the current eec, to replace it when you WILL need a tune later on. Stock our computers dont handle mods very well...but when u arent stock you need a tune anyway to get the car to perform at its most optimal and SAFEST potential. After you find a eec you will probably be half way towards a tuner. Then you wont ever have to worry about tuning issues again.