Well, it's time (tire reccomendations)

ROLLIN5.0

Nov 19, 2004
Tulsa, OK
I was just in the garage, and noticed that the driver front tire had a tread groove that didn't match the rest of the tire. Upon closer examination, I discovered that it is actually a rip going all the way through to the steel belt :Damnit:. I was on the way to needing new tires anyway though. Here's the question. I have 18X9's, and it has 245/40/18's all the way around right now. How fat of a tire can I get mounted on these wheels for the back, and how wide can I go in the front without rubbing?
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

The 245's do look too skinny, and the wheel will rub curbs before the tire will, so your probably right. Now for the fun part. I want a soft/sticky tire for the back, but at the same time I don't want to be buying another set after 8-10k miles. I like the g-Force T/A's, but I'm sure they would be gone in no time flat. Anyone have ideas for a good in between? I don't want the super hard compound like the Kumho's, and Sumotomo's (however you spell it).
Brandon

Go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's .... on the back at least. You said you want kind of a soft/sticky tire that will last a long time. This is it. I am not being biased, although I am currently running them out back. I've had several different kinds in the past & love these things. They're next to a DR with traction, and even do well when it's wet out. I've only put about 2,000 miles on the car since I've put these things on ..... and they still look brand new. I don't run them up front, but some people do. They were too pricey for me to run all the way around (my 315's were $277 each, but now run for $370 each!) You won't need them that wide, so they won't be as expensive. Whatever you do .... DO NOT GET SUMITOMO's!!! My buddy has them. Traction is extremely poor.

Im runnin the yokahama avs and they are real nice(was runnin nittos), good traction dry and wet. Definate on the tirerack.com deal, their prices are really decent. bought 2 rear yohahamas from town fair tire $199 a pop.tire racks price i beleave was $135 a pop, so i grabbed 2 for the front from them.

i would put a 265/35/18 all the way around so that you can rotate. putting a 265 in front and a 275 in the rear will be hard to notice any improvement. you have not said what your intended use of the tires are so i just would reccomend to go to tirerack.com and search yourself.

You guys aren't going to believe this one. I just went to a little used tire shop on the wrong side of town to get some tires for my boat trailor. While their being mounted, I was walking around the shop, and noticed a good looking set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS's in 275/40/18 sitting in a corner. I walked back over and asked the guy what he wanted for a pair, and he said he'd take $30 each! I picked the best two which were 7/32, and 6/32, and walked them out to the truck for $60 :spot:. Not bad, considering their on special right now at Tirerack for $232 a pop. I'll get them mounted this afternoon, and click a few pics. These things should grip a lot better than what their replacing.
Brandon