Went 12.3@116 on stock tires in the heat yesterday...

Justin00V6Auto

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2000
Debary, FL, USA
The local track, Orlando Speedworld had one of their "Funday Sundays" today, basically a day time Test and Tune. I decided to drive the car out there and get some practice. Even though it was 90* out and I still had stock tires. With 1100 miles on the odo the car is starting to get broken in. All I have done so far is one of my custom tunes.

Anyone that is local knows OSW is referred to as "spinworld", Bradenton in the south and Gainesville in the north are known for much better traction and track prep. Heck, I got my best time in the 00 V6 at Gainesville.

First run of the day was a 12.9 with a 2.3 60, getting used to driving the car. Then a 12.6. Finally I nailed the launch and pulled a 12.38 with a 1.98 60'. Then I followed that up with a 12.33 with a 1.97 60'. The first run of the day I only pulled 112MPH, I did not shift into 4th and rode through the finish line in 3rd on the stock 6250 RPM limiter. After jacking the limiter up to 6500 RPM in the tune I consistenly finished at 116MPH, I would hit the limiter just as I saw the finish line go under the front bumper. I found letting the clutch go from about 1500rpm and going 3/4 throttle in 1st seemed to work best. Too much and you roast the tires. When I pulled the first 1.98 the car came out smooth and soft. On the next run I got a little more agressive and the car wheel hopped through 1st but still pulled a 1.97. On the last run of the day I got too agressive and roasted the tires. The 1-2 shift involves some violent wheel hop, control arms are on order.

I played with tire pressure on the stock F1s, I went as low as 26 but I can't say it helped any more than 28-29psi.

I know my times aren't the fastest, but I'm happy with them considering the conditions, stock tires, lack of track prep, novice driver, and a heat soaked car on a 90* day.

Next week intake and 2.6 pulley.

stocktires.jpg

• Sponsors (?)