Went for a ride in a '11 today

Nice man, I just test drove a 2010 4.6... i want one bad and i want my first new car...bad. should i wait for the 5.0? was it THAT much better? i know itll be better than the 2010, obviously, but the longer i go without buying a new car the more i pound my fox into the ground... so ive been debating to wait or just buy a GT cheap with the rebates (and my dad's A-plan)...:shrug:

Honestly the 2010 is an excellent car. I don't think you would need any more out of a first car. With the amount that you would be saving between the rebates and your dads A plan the difference would almost be a Whipple charger. Right now you could buy either, no need to wait. Get a deal on a '10 or order a '11. That is, if your talking serious

• Sponsors (?)

10:1 is different than 11:1 to one. Yea my uncle had a 04 Mach with a procharger, 469 rwhp. Sweet ride.

Indeed....but so are the rest of the engine components. Take a look at the advancements made to the bottom end in my post #36. I'll bet that the oil cooled pistons and fully controlable Twin Independant Variable Cam Timing (which can altered to to bleed off compression) is going to go a long way against starving off detonation and allowing a wide range of fuel useage. Hell, the very fact that Ford is able to run the car at all on 87-octane fuel with an 11:1 compression ratio is a feat in itself.

Honestly the 2010 is an excellent car. I don't think you would need any more out of a first car. With the amount that you would be saving between the rebates and your dads A plan the difference would almost be a Whipple charger. Right now you could buy either, no need to wait. Get a deal on a '10 or order a '11. That is, if your talking serious

Lets also keep in mind that there's more to the 2011 than the more powerful, more fuel efficent and cleaner 5.0L engine upgrade. They've got two tougher 6-speed transmissions, a 14" Brembo brake 19" wheel option, improved suspension components, an electronically controlled power steering system, along with numerous other little "tweeks" over the previous years model.

You're correct though, the 2010 is an excellent car for the price. But if the real world bottom line between the two vehicles isn't that much different after all is said and done, the 2011 is going to be worth waiting for.

Jay does work for Ford. He knows lots of people. He's gotten me some smoking deals on items that coworkers were giving away. Car's they'd buy, they didn't like the wheels, they'd buy new stuff, and I'd buy their stock stuff and resell it.

Jay, there is an article about a 2010 which still had the 4.6L (315FWHP) in the MM&FF magazine. With a CAI and tune it made 300RWHP and ran 13.1 in the 1/4. The new 5.0L is gonna be 100 more HP, so I can't wait to see what that will run. If I didn't buy the 2004, I'd consider one.

On Motorweek the best they could squeeze out of a new Shelby was 12.9, so that 13.1 doesnt look so bad.

MotorWeek: Road Test

On Motorweek the best they could squeeze out of a new Shelby was 12.9, so that 13.1 doesnt look so bad.

MotorWeek: Road Test

Evan Smith ran 11.90's @ 120mph in a bone stock down to the air filter '10 GT500 (stock Goodyear rubber and 19" wheels), so take magazine stats and figures tested with non seasoned drivers with a grain of salt. The '10-up GT500's are total weapons!

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0910_2010_ford_shelby_gt500_drag_test/index.html

I'll predict mid-12's easy out of the '11 GT with skilled driving.

Lets also keep in mind that there's more to the 2011 than the more powerful, more fuel efficent and cleaner 5.0L engine upgrade. They've got two tougher 6-speed transmissions, a 14" Brembo brake 19" wheel option, improved suspension components, an electronically controlled power steering system, along with numerous other little "tweeks" over the previous years model.

You're correct though, the 2010 is an excellent car for the price. But if the real world bottom line between the two vehicles isn't that much different after all is said and done, the 2011 is going to be worth waiting for.

Yeah, im very serious about buying. And thats my problem right now; do i take advantage of the great rebates (which will be as high as 4000 in walk-in rebates within a month) and snag a new 4.6 for CHEAP or will those tweeks and the upgrades that come with the 2011 be worth the wait... such a hard call.

Evan Smith ran 11.90's @ 120mph in a bone stock down to the air filter '10 GT500 (stock Goodyear rubber and 19" wheels), so take magazine stats and figures tested with non seasoned drivers with a grain of salt. The '10-up GT500's are total weapons!

2010 Ford Shelby GT500 - Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords

I'll predict mid-12's easy out of the '11 GT with skilled driving.

Im pretty sure he is talking about the gt350 seeing as thats the one that was mentioned before.

Looks like Motorweek posted identical numbers for the 2007 and 2010 GT500s. I suppose different conditions but I would think they'd at least get a higher trap out of the 2010. Still, I think the number somewhere in-between what Evan Smith runs and what the average car mag runs is a pretty safe average. lol

Indeed....but so are the rest of the engine components. Take a look at the advancements made to the bottom end in my post #36. I'll bet that the oil cooled pistons and fully controlable Twin Independant Variable Cam Timing (which can altered to to bleed off compression) is going to go a long way against starving off detonation and allowing a wide range of fuel useage. Hell, the very fact that Ford is able to run the car at all on 87-octane fuel with an 11:1 compression ratio is a feat in itself.

True, very true...just how boost friendly is the motor though? I guess we will have to see when people start doing things to them.

Some people you just cant please. They complain that Ford wont build a GT with more power, and when they do all anyone can do its complain that is high compression and wont take a blower without a piston swap. Well to that i say welcome to where the all motor crowd has been from the start...we've been changing pistons to build compression for 40 years. Now its your turn :)

Some people you just cant please. They complain that Ford wont build a GT with more power, and when they do all anyone can do its complain that is high compression and wont take a blower without a piston swap. Well to that i say welcome to where the all motor crowd has been from the start...we've been changing pistons to build compression for 40 years. Now its your turn :)

I would just like to see more displacement in the Mustang, that's been my gripe all along. To make serious power N/A, you need cubes. This new Coyote is a pretty bad ass motor, but its little more than a stroked 4.6 with a high tech valve train and engine management system.

Like I said, I'm waiting for the new Raptor engine to find its way into the Mustang. If you can make 400+ from 5L, imagine what you could do with 6.2L! :eek: The LSX guys would have to go back to the drawing board. :stirpot:

I thought i read its a completely brand new block? new design, 4bold mains, etc?

It is, but it maintains the deck height, bore spacing, and a lot of the 4.6's original geometry (and, IMO, downfalls). Its basically a 4.6 with a slightly bigger bore and a slightly bigger stroke and a good dose of steroids. In other words, there really won't be much opportunity to hog out this engine any bigger.

I'm sure my dumbed-down evaluation of the new engine will piss off some mod motor fanatics, but that's how I see it. :D