Went from 3rd to 2nd on the highway.....

98slowbra said:
your fuel would shut off at or a little above redline, I did that once in my 98 cobra, it did not lockup but the fuel shut down and nothing happened to the car. Most of the guys up here do not know **** about a car and give you a hard time, plus when a person asks a question why come off like a ******* and say buy a new one and so on. Some can not read and missed the word accendently missed a shift. Some say "what u just learn how to drive a stick"? WTF I am sure that ******* has missed a shift once in his life. Why be a bunch of *******s when I guy asks a question about his car? I have asked questions about things on my car and I got no responses at all, so I guess that would tell you enough about the technical knoweledge of the people on this fourms(there is none)

Hmmm, seems like your post just contributed to the very lack of technical knowledge you speak of. The fuel cut-off by the eec does absolutely nothing to protect the engine in an overrev situation caused by downshifting. He should be thankful that the tires did lock up since that may have been the only thing keeping him from spinning the engine up past 7,000 rpm.

• Sponsors (?)

hey I never said I was a car guy and a technical one at that, yea I dont know all the in's and out's of a motor, yea dont know that much about the car motors. So yea you are correct I am not a motorhead, when I need my car worked on I take it to Ford and have a cert. SVT rep work on it. I do not touch my car, and I never said I was a technical knowledge person on cars, just that not many people here are, and if they are not they just make fun of the people who ask questions about there cars. They have no respect.

98slowbra said:
hey I never said I was a car guy and a technical one at that, yea I dont know all the in's and out's of a motor, yea dont know that much about the car motors. So yea you are correct I am not a motorhead, when I need my car worked on I take it to Ford and have a cert. SVT rep work on it. I do not touch my car, and I never said I was a technical knowledge person on cars, just that not many people here are, and if they are not they just make fun of the people who ask questions about there cars. They have no respect.

Agreed, there are too many on here that would rather make fun than give advice, but there are several of us on here that make an effort to answer the questions that we can.

03MGT said:
I was scewing around today and I was in fifth and the highway was wide open so I threw it into therd at about 90 and redline came pritty fast then I went to slam it into fourth and put it back into second!!!! I was like wtf did i just do!!! The back wheels just locked up But I just pushed the clutch back in as fast as I could. The car drove fine after but could I possibley messed andthing up??? Aslo have any of you ever done this????? :nonono:
You got off easy. I scattered a brand new clutch doing that once. It didn't have 300km on it. Luckily the speed shop I bought it from replaced it free of charge, but I still had to go through the PITA of changing it again! :bang:

03MGT said:
Dude learn how to read I went to slam it into 4th from 3rd and pulled it into 2nd by accedent.. The car drives fine, Doesnt feel or sound different.. And its under warrenty Only 15k on it...

Learn how to read? you got to be kidding, you cant even drive. So what i say is... Learn how to drive :D

03MGT said:
I was scewing around today and I was in fifth and the highway was wide open so I threw it into therd at about 90 and redline came pritty fast then I went to slam it into fourth and put it back into second!!!! I was like wtf did i just do!!! The back wheels just locked up But I just pushed the clutch back in as fast as I could. The car drove fine after but could I possibley messed andthing up??? Aslo have any of you ever done this????? :nonono:

I might have missed it, but are you under warranty at all?

03MGT said:
Dude learn how to read I went to slam it into 4th from 3rd and pulled it into 2nd by accedent.. The car drives fine, Doesnt feel or sound different.. And its under warrenty Only 15k on it...

Then you've got about 20,000 miles to beat the badness out of it and have it repaired for free. :D Sound crazy? Well, something similar happened to my friend's 01 Cobra and he just got tired of it making the knock all the time. He had a powertrain warranty until 75k, so he gave it hell A LOT and got the motor fixed for free, then traded the SOB off.

97GTSTANG said:
Learn how to read? you got to be kidding, you cant even drive. So what i say is... Learn how to drive :D

...you've never missed a shift? Granted I don't think I've ever gone into 2nd instead of 4th but...we've all missed shifts.

I've done that before, going around a fairly easy onramp to a highway, went to go into 3rd and with being pushed by centri-force to the left side i misplaced my shift and put her back into first... car locked the rear end, got all kinds of sideways, but i got the clutch back in before it went passed 6300. no damage to mine.

on the converse side a friend with an RSX did the same thing, went from 3 to 2 accidentally and his valves and cams went all to hell. so, you could get either side of the coin. change the oil NOW and check it for metal. and just be relieved if you dont have any issues.

Torinalth

97GTSTANG said:

Dude, chill out!! He missed a shift.. so friggin what, alot of guys have done it. It has nothing to do with the fact if you can drive or not. You might have a sloppy shifter etc. If you ever tried to power shift, then stuff like this might happen. Take your crap to talk instead will you... if you want to post here then start contributing to the thread instead of bashing the poor guy.

My recommendation would be to get a short throw shifter. They are far superior to the stock shifter and will help to prevent missing shifts. You are still under warranty so you can always have it fixed if something did break. Do not tell them what you did though....just act dumb and tell them that the noice started slowly and gradually became worse.. they can't prove that you missed the shift and over revved the engine.

02mingreyconv said:
snip....

You are still under warranty so you can always have it fixed if something did break. Do not tell them what you did though....just act dumb and tell them that the noice started slowly and gradually became worse.. they can't prove that you missed the shift and over revved the engine.

This is the kind of advice I have problems with. Geez people whine about how hard it is to get warranty work done and how dealers rip you off yet any chance people get to rip the dealer off they don't hesitate. :shrug:

02mingreyconv said:
Dude, chill out!! He missed a shift.. so friggin what, alot of guys have done it. It has nothing to do with the fact if you can drive or not. You might have a sloppy shifter etc. If you ever tried to power shift, then stuff like this might happen. Take your crap to talk instead will you... if you want to post here then start contributing to the thread instead of bashing the poor guy.

My recommendation would be to get a short throw shifter. They are far superior to the stock shifter and will help to prevent missing shifts. You are still under warranty so you can always have it fixed if something did break. Do not tell them what you did though....just act dumb and tell them that the noice started slowly and gradually became worse.. they can't prove that you missed the shift and over revved the engine.

I am not bashing the guy, If you have read the first page of the post you will see I was asking a legit question and then he started the bashing. So get your facts before you put your 2 cents in.

Ftony said:
my friend did that on a 455 olds,it developed a rod knock 2 days later....not to say yours will just giving you what i know,good luck

sgarlic said:
I read a post a while back about somebody who did pretty much the same thing, then a few days/week later they started hearing some rod knock.

triggz said:
....which in itself isn't bad unless you force it beyond what the rods and valvetrain are capable of handling..which isnt much over 6grand in a stock car.
am i missing somthing here? we're talking about a 4.6 SOHC modular engine, right? our engines dont have rods. they are an overhead cam design, not a pushrod design. whats with all the rod talk :shrug:

to the poster, congrats! you missed a shift, just like everyone else who has ever driven a stick has. if you dont have any serious probs now, i dont think you will anytime soon. it was just extra hard on your engine, and you may have taken away ~500 miles of engine life. no biggie, it happens to the best of us.

DerekStangGT said:
am i missing somthing here? we're talking about a 4.6 SOHC modular engine, right? our engines dont have rods. they are an overhead cam design, not a pushrod design. whats with all the rod talk :shrug:

to the poster, congrats! you missed a shift, just like everyone else who has ever driven a stick has. if you dont have any serious probs now, i dont think you will anytime soon. it was just extra hard on your engine, and you may have taken away ~500 miles of engine life. no biggie, it happens to the best of us.
oh sorry ill spell it out 4 ya ........connecting rod ,most engines got em,exept for rotor engine.

I've done that before...on a test drive!!

2 weeks ago i was test driving a new G35 coupe 6-spd.

I was in 3rd but not winding it out and went to shift into 4th and pulled it back into 2nd. I only let the clutch halfway out before i caught myself. ENgine revved up for a second and the tires skidded a bit but no probs.

In my defense, the G35's shifter feels like a rubber ducky compared to the Mustang. You could have it in gear and it still feels like neutral. There was no feedback to what gear i was shifting into.