Went to the track tonight; Got some problems/questions

• Sponsors (?)

Your fooling yourself if you think its anything other than the fact that you havent gotten a custom tune...
:stupid:

OP, sure there might be a small leak after the MAF and that would slow you down just a hair but the main issue is the tune.

Your factory computer has been programed with a set of restrictions in it. The car knows how much power it is making and if it exceeds the factory specs the computer will pull timing untill its back within those specs. Get the damn thing tuned! Also, do the J-mod. :nice:

MPH is slow for a 1450 DA on a pi cammed automatic.. trap is about 6-7 MPH low

Start with a tune.. then without being there it could be hard to tell but trans slippage could be a cause too. But I would think you could feel that

Yea, that trap is way low. That's why I'm worried. I thought I would be at least somewhat faster, even without a tune. But the general consensus here is that the tune is the problem, and I've talked a few guys I know that are saying the same thing. Even though I'm not completely convinced that the tune is all of the problem, it's really the only thing I can do. If there is something wrong w/ computer, o2 sensor, maf, iat, etc., the tuners could figure it out. I've been wanting/needing a tune for a while now, and now that I've got the cams in, I'm gonna go ahead and get one. Hopefully it'll fix the problem.

The tranny isn't slipping, or if it is, it is a very, very little amount, not noticeable.

Thanks for the help guys.

-Will

as has been said a custom tune will do alot. the timing adjuster is nice but since it only adjusts the base timing the computer will still screw with the timing more so than if you had it set in the tune.
also check your fuel rails to see if you have a changeable regulator mine is permanently attached to the rail

I put the cams in myself. I didn't take off the timing cover when I changed them, so if they are off, the stock npi cams were off as well.

A scan tool isn't the same as an OBD-II code reader, right? If not, I don't have a scan tool. I'm waiting to get all of my 87 octane gas out and 93 octane in before I go to talk to the tuners near me. I'll probably get it tuned within the next two weeks. Thanks for the help.

-Will

It doesn't need a tune to run good. The 98 tune is actually pretty good as is. My car runs good w/o a tune and it has a whole pi engine in it. SURE a tune will help but thats not the cause for his slow times.......

A tune will only net him 2-3 mph at best... He has some other underlying issue here. The trans/convertor could be it. Could not be. Hard to tell via the net.

It doesn't need a tune to run good. The 98 tune is actually pretty good as is. My car runs good w/o a tune and it has a whole pi engine in it. SURE a tune will help but thats not the cause for his slow times.......

A tune will only net him 2-3 mph at best... He has some other underlying issue here. The trans/convertor could be it. Could not be. Hard to tell via the net.

This is what worries me. That brings the total up to what, 4 now, that don't have tunes and are running fine? Now I know that a tune is honestly the only thing I can do right now, and I am still probably gonna get one sometime soon because it will help me anyway. But I somewhat think something else is going on. I don't know what though, so a dyno tune is my only option anyway.

I'll try and get an acceleration video up sometime tomorrow. Idk if you could hear tranny slipping or not; I'll give ya a try. I don't really think the tranny has a problem though.

Anyone know what one of those little rubber bungs on my CAI that the IAT sensor slides into would be called or where to find one? I can't seem to be able to find anyone that knows.

-Will

If your auto is shifting at 5500 rpm that is too low for the pi cams. Shift manually and I'm sure you'll run quicker. Just remember to shift about 300 to 400 rpm sooner than you want the shift to take place. Probably 500 sooner on the 1-2 shift and 300 on the 2-3.

Here's the vid I promised. I think you can see it. I just put it up bout 20 minutes ago, so if you can't, just wait a little while.

YouTube - 1998 Mustang GT 0-60 Tranny slipping?

I timed about 6.6-6.7 0-60, whereas my last video (also on youtube under my same name) with the same mods minus the PI cams is in the 6.3-6.4 range. That's the rough difference in my 1/8 mile track times, so the vids seem to be consistent with my track times.

I don't think the tranny or torque converter is slipping. And before y'all tell me, I know not to race the car in 2nd gear like that. I did it only for the video to put up here. I wasn't sure if it would help, but anyways, it's in there.

-Will

hmm... it looks like it's pulling good:shrug:

Yea, it feels like it too. I really thought it felt a lot better after I got the cams in. Felt lots better after the PI intake as well. But the times don't seem to be showing that. idk, I've got over half the tank of 87 octane gas out so far, so it won't be much longer before I get it tuned.

Btw, did your times and numbers come before or after a tune?

-Will

Yea, it feels like it too. I really thought it felt a lot better after I got the cams in. Felt lots better after the PI intake as well. But the times don't seem to be showing that. idk, I've got over half the tank of 87 octane gas out so far, so it won't be much longer before I get it tuned.

-Will

I gained 5-6mph on my 98 after doing headswaps(I did a few with different engines over the years).

I gained 2mph with just a PI intake on my 97 car.

Neither had a tune, the stock tune worked fine for me. I'm sure I could have picked up another 10hp or so. I think that you have something going wrong with your car.

Take it to a shop and get it on a dyno with a wideband. BTW, what is the race weight of your car?

-Will

my car was UNTUNED, and made 225rwhp/270rwtq, 14.17 @ 95.xx