Western Motorsports

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Austin TX
Anyone know much about this outfit? Their website seems to be a little broken and not updated in a long time.

My hood received a little hail damage and I'm contemplating getting a FG hood, the ram-air design that WM was always one I liked.

• Sponsors (?)

I was able to get past the broken part of the site and found the CAI kits with the ram-air box. But I don't see any hoods anywhere. I know this unit can get a ram-air effect via the stock hood but I could have sworn they had a hood that was custom fit with hood scoops/openings.

Am I imagining that or do they offer hoods? Most of the hoods I've seen that have ram-air effects are made for the side-intake like factory and most aftermarket CAI kits have.

I've had my WMS CAI for nearly two years now. I love the look, BUT recently found out that it's not the best design for our throttle bodies from Doug at Bamachips:( I had asked him if it be worth my time/money to upgrade to their larger MAF and he said ditch it all together...
The ram air tray is designed to work with the factory hood, not ram air hoods as the tray wouldn't match the contour of the raised hood. To aid in the air department, I swapped out the OEM grill that the fogs blocked the openings in the tray with the Bullitt grill and cut out all the holes in the honeycomb. I'll be switching out to a C&L CAI soon-ish for some more power.
2666684156_c93f7277e4_b.jpg

Good feedback, thanks KD!

I'm wondering though about the other designs having more power. From what I recall the WMS design outperformed every other intake on the market. It was 5.0 magazine that compared 11 different CAIs on the market and the dyno proved this one to be the best. Here's the PDF data sheet from the pulls:
http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/media/wmsgifs/coldscore.pdf

Is that simply old information or actually just wrong?

Good feedback, thanks KD!

I'm wondering though about the other designs having more power. From what I recall the WMS design outperformed every other intake on the market. It was 5.0 magazine that compared 11 different CAIs on the market and the dyno proved this one to be the best. Here's the PDF data sheet from the pulls:
http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/media/wmsgifs/coldscore.pdf

Is that simply old information or actually just wrong?

According to that article the JLT made more power, followed by the C&L, and than the WMS ... Either way, the C&L Racer makes the most power out of any cai out there. I don't even know what intake they were referring to, the "True Flow". I think that might be the one that doesn't require a tune or something.

I've had my WMS CAI for nearly two years now. I love the look, BUT recently found out that it's not the best design for our throttle bodies from Doug at Bamachips:( I had asked him if it be worth my time/money to upgrade to their larger MAF and he said ditch it all together...
The ram air tray is designed to work with the factory hood, not ram air hoods as the tray wouldn't match the contour of the raised hood. To aid in the air department, I swapped out the OEM grill that the fogs blocked the openings in the tray with the Bullitt grill and cut out all the holes in the honeycomb. I'll be switching out to a C&L CAI soon-ish for some more power.
2666684156_c93f7277e4_b.jpg

I think Doug @Bamachips is just trying to sell you another CAI. I have had the WMSracing CAI on for almost 4 years with never a problem,Started out stock with no tune,then mail order 93 tune from another vendor, no prblems ran great.Stepped up to a Saleen Series VI SC upgraded to the WMS 95mm tube, 39 lb injectors and 3.6 pulley along with HI flow catted x-pipe, dyn'd on a Mustang dyno last week 4/2/2009
442wrph and 424 tq. 8.6 lbs boost Max'd out the fuel pump at 5800 so back acouple degrees of timing outand settled for 424 wrhp. All this with the WMS racing CAI.I would not use any other personaly.

I've heard that the WMS units do peg the MAF pretty quick, which is why they came out with the 95mm MAF tube. I like the idea of the strait shot to the TB, but I don't honestly think it makes much of a difference. The C&L racer and JLT II are about the same, I would go with either of those.
Dan

CAI v Just the filter

I agree with o0Dan0o. They all are so close, get one you like or can afford.

I wonder if there is really much difference from buying a whole CAI kit or just the filter like some tuners sell....

I would like to see the dyno numbers.....

I saw a guy with a filter on the end of PVC pipe, not pretty but for 5 bucks of PVC, a filter an a boot....the price was right...

One of the reasons I picked the JLT was the strait large pipe and it has, from what I have seen, the biggest filter (it and the WMS are probably close). I think filter size has as much to do with it as everything else.
Dan

had a hot debate about their pins on another forum as I've seen the design in person on a local car that I did unrelated work to, so I had some first hand experience in seeing it's functionality. WMS came into the thread off a google search and made it abundantly clear that the intention of their pins was to work in conjunction with the latch. Not be a replacement to it. I had not seen that disclaimer, but it is on the site.

had a hot debate about their pins on another forum as I've seen the design in person on a local car that I did unrelated work to, so I had some first hand experience in seeing it's functionality. WMS came into the thread off a google search and made it abundantly clear that the intention of their pins was to work in conjunction with the latch. Not be a replacement to it. I had not seen that disclaimer, but it is on the site.

Very hot. :rlaugh:

I agree with o0Dan0o. They all are so close, get one you like or can afford.

I wonder if there is really much difference from buying a whole CAI kit or just the filter like some tuners sell....

I would like to see the dyno numbers.....

I saw a guy with a filter on the end of PVC pipe, not pretty but for 5 bucks of PVC, a filter an a boot....the price was right...

Studies have proven a shorter straight route will make more power (with lots of variables) then a longer bent set up. If you compare side by side forced air straight then rerouting that air 90 degrees will slow velocity. I'm not a scientist. Many years ago I had the opportunity to dyno 5 cold air kits on my 94GT. At the bottom was the MAC fender set up (s-bend, rerouting air several times). Removing the S bend and just bolting an air filter directly to the MAF netted 3.4HP gain. The overall winner was a straight short distance kit.

That PVC set up you speak of was also used on my car. 6 Inches long, 4 inch diameter PVC pipe, two 4 inch rubber boots, brass 3/8 in screw type fitting (for valve cover vent) and teflon tape. Two holes drilled into the PVC. One for Air Temp Sensor and one for valve cover vent. This $20 custom Home Depot kit made 8+HP over the factory set up.

Personally I'm going with a C&L set up because I really like the look. The WMS unit does not appeal to me at all. No offense to kooldawg, your car is nice.

I think Doug @Bamachips is just trying to sell you another CAI. I have had the WMSracing CAI on for almost 4 years with never a problem,Started out stock with no tune,then mail order 93 tune from another vendor, no prblems ran great.Stepped up to a Saleen Series VI SC upgraded to the WMS 95mm tube, 39 lb injectors and 3.6 pulley along with HI flow catted x-pipe, dyn'd on a Mustang dyno last week 4/2/2009
442wrph and 424 tq. 8.6 lbs boost Max'd out the fuel pump at 5800 so back acouple degrees of timing outand settled for 424 wrhp. All this with the WMS racing CAI.I would not use any other personaly.
I highly doubt that! I could be wrong however. I met him last summer and had almost all day to chat with him and listen in on other conversations. Also a few buddies of mine are always in close contact with him and I've had email contact with him on tune upgrades numerous times and he seems like a genuinely good guy who wants to do right and stand by his knowledge and work:nice: I also have never had any issues with the WMS and stock size MAF sensor and that's been about 55K miles now!!!!! What mainly had me thinking of swapping was I have the chance to pick up a C&L for next to nothing and would only take about 30 minutes or so to swap stuff back and put the new intake on. I could still upgrade the WMS MAF, but I don't believe the ram air tray fits the GT500 grill:( That is the one part I need to get back in touch with the body shop on getting replaced. Being it's free, I could see what all if any modding needs to be done to the tray to get it to fit the downward slopes at the ends of the grill... Congrats on your liking of the WMS:nice:

VibrantRedGT
Personally I'm going with a C&L set up because I really like the look. The WMS unit does not appeal to me at all. No offense to kooldawg, your car is nice.
The look isn't for everybody. I personally love it!
Thanks for the compliment, but not quite sure which version of my car your comment was intended and definitely no offense taken:nice:

Studies have proven a shorter straight route will make more power (with lots of variables) then a longer bent set up. If you compare side by side forced air straight then rerouting that air 90 degrees will slow velocity. I'm not a scientist. Many years ago I had the opportunity to dyno 5 cold air kits on my 94GT. At the bottom was the MAC fender set up (s-bend, rerouting air several times). Removing the S bend and just bolting an air filter directly to the MAF netted 3.4HP gain. The overall winner was a straight short distance kit.

I would generally agree, but as you said, there are many variables. The WMS intake, for whatever reason, doesn't outperform the C&L racer or the JLT II intakes, and both are considerably cheaper.

It is a really nice unit, but not really any better. I'm not sure why, since I would typically assume that it would out perform the others. It could be the short distance from filter to TB, causing more turbulent airflow, or perhaps the oval MAF causes trouble. Anyway, the point is while it's good it's not the best.

Also, WMS doesn't list the intake on their site anymore, I wonder if they've discontinued it. That'd be a shame, IMHO, always thought it looked awesome.
Dan

Also, WMS doesn't list the intake on their site anymore, I wonder if they've discontinued it. That'd be a shame, IMHO, always thought it looked awesome.
Dan

It took me a while to find it, that's what I meant when I said their site was broken. But it is there, they offer several kits, once you explore past the dead links.

=============

As for the looks, I guess it is just a matter of taste. Personally I never liked the looks of the sideways intakes on the 5.0. My tastes are totally retro though, I chose to run a carb on my hotrod...lol. I always thought the straight ahead approach of the LT1 through LS6 series looked better and worked better (short and straight is most efficient as mentioned above).

Regarding performance, I think there were two angles that WMS had that were better. 1.) These kits gave a rwhp gain roughly equal to the best out there (the C&L racer notwithstanding it is designed for modified internals) without requiring a tune. 2.) These units benefited from some small degree of forced induction that the wheel-well intakes did not. In fact the wheel-well is a low pressure area, and a cowl induction works better because of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.

Although I like the approach and the appearance, the WMS seems to offer little to no benefit if I am going to buy a tuner and/or intend to replace the factory hood. I plan on both so that makes the decision pretty easy.

Regardless, Stangnet's community comes through for me for the 1,000th time. Thanks a lot guys!

They still have it listed...
WMS High Velocity Intake Systems

I guess it's hard to dyno the WMS as it really should have the hood closed and the air forced through the grille to maximize its ram air design. That was part of why I ditched the GT fogs. The fogs were blocking two of the three ram air openings.
WMSFront-2.jpg

After I got the Bullitt grille and opened it all up, there were no restrictions!
2239261201_5e34618fa4_b.jpg