What Are Decent Fox's Selling For

You can buy mine for $20k?

true. but way too many of the 5 speeds are beat to hell.. lol. i started looking for a 5 speed. went with an automatic because the car was unmolested and in better shape then the 5 speeds i was finding. i figured if i really wanted a 5 speed that bad i could always convert it down the road. my belief was i was better off starting with the cleanest car i could.

• Sponsors (?)

After the tornado in Feb. dumped a tree on my fox I started looking for a replacement. Something clean, mid range in the mile catagory, and either unmolested or with tasteful mods. Most of what I saw was overpriced junk. Cars beat all to hell for 3k or museum pieces for 10k. I finally settled on a fox Saleen, ive always wanted one, they are already 5 lug 4 wheel disk, and the majority of them are well taken care of. Yeah I had the well intentioned telling me for a little more I could buy a nice 05 gt but thats not what i wanted. I ended up with a car that I really like, that for the time being im not worried about putting miles on it and is different from all the other foxes with this months flavor of mods for less than what most are wanting for clean GTs.

Just bought an '87 lx 5.0 5 speed for 4k yesterday. She needs some work (paint is faded like crazy, but original, hatch is rusted pretty bad, needs replacing, and other minor things), unmolested, 100% stock, and body is very good condition with very little surface rust on the under-carrage. Never wrecked, 108k miles, and mechanically sound. They are still out there, just getting very hard to find.

Around here Fox Mustangs are snapped up at stupid prices unless they are total junk.

Mine is fairly rough, and I emailed on it when the Craigslist ad was only 5 minutes old, the seller already had 17 other appointments to look at the car before I made my appointment. The only reason I got the car is because I showed up for my appointment 1.5 hours early and rushed the deal as 3 other parties were showing up. I got the title in hand just as the others were trying to start a bidding war. The seller was totally flustered and taken by surprise.

Yep, that's exactly what I tell the guys comming to look at my cars for sale too.

Let's be fare though. If you were shopping for a Mustang, what would you pay for one like yours?

I think he is being fair. I painted his car in July 2012. There was NO rust. Shock towers are perfect, floors, doors, everything was clean as new. The paint was original, no previous bondo work, no new bondo work needed, never in an accident, clear title.

It has some tasteful mods that add style and power such as Cobra brakes, Cobra intake, full exhaust 18'' wheels, tint. It would be simple to turn back to stock if someone wanted to. I'd pay between 6-7 all day for his car. His car has nothing to hide. Actually, 6K would be a steal if you ask me. What's $6,000 anymore this day and age for a clean fox?

Reactions: 1 user
This guy wants 6k. car is in good shape. Bet i could talk him down to more realistic 4500 - 5k since it has 120k miles. I just dont want an auto at all and its an 89. Rather have 90 - 93
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/3204927221.html

This one would just need way to much work to get it back in shape. Paint looks awful from the pic, interior is fubar, hood is ugly. I dont know where to start. I wouldnt even pay 2500 for this one:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/3200086082.html

The perfect year range for me, if I was being picky, would not include 93.
The car had some revisions I don't care for that year, mainly the loss of forged pistons.

What year was the first year for the air-bag? 91?
I am pretty sure 90 is the 'optimum' year for an ultra low mileage find, at least in my opinion.
MAF, no air-bag, forged pistons... First year for Pony rims?

I beleive 90 had an airbag. 91-93 had some sort of extension to fit pony wheels. 93 dropped forged pistons. I dont care if it doesnt have forged pistons. i am not racing. Hyperautic is fine for crusing.

I looked and looked for a mustang for months and never thought id find the right one, most had a bunch of junk to them or had been raced and id preferr a stock one so i could do mods to it myself...finally i found one a good ways from home but it was well worth it: 93 LX 5.0 all stock except for carb, straight body,no rust good interior brand new paint, 68,000 miles, of course it needs a few things like a good tune up ive already adjusted the timing the carb is brand new and needs adjusting a lil bit casue it will miss every now and then but other than that its been great so far (knock on wood)....I have $2800 in it but it has the stock 10 hole rims so im looking to get some new tires and ether draglites,cobra r's, or chrome pony wheels not sure which ones yet even though chrome will go good with the black paint, also looking to put a cowl hood on it and smoked headlights, all in all i'll have about $4500 in it which isnt that bad for a car with that low milage and then eventually i'll do some engine mods nothing much though.

nice, glad to hear your patience was rewarded. I would consider traveling a bit and driving it home or even shipping the right car for the right price. But, I am pretty sure something will come up fairly close though. I live on staten island and know that NY, NJ, CT, and MA have a ton of these cars laying around. Timing is everything.

I bought my 89 in March of 2011 for $3800. 153000 miles. Original owner, window sticker and warranty card! The paint is bad, but the body was good aside from normal wear. Interior was immaculate and the AC even worked. All it needed was a tune up though I've added more because I wanted to not because it needed it.

I'd have thought that way too, but I was still there when the others started showing up and were competing over the car... until they found out I had the title in hand! ;)

They were his friends ;)

For me, the best years are 91-92. '91 was the first year of the pony rims, and with them, there's a little extra space at the front to keep larger wheel/tire combos from scraping during turns. The '91s and most '92s have forged pistons, though I'm not sure this is a huge deal. Plenty have run the hypers with boost, but they aren't supposed to be quite as resistant to detonation, though you should be avoiding that regardless. The map lights inside were replaced by a nicer center dome light. The starters in the '92 were the high-torque mini-starters, which cleaned up the engine bay by pulling the solenoid off of the fender.

I'll caveat that with the fact that I like the interiors in the earlier cars. Aside from the dome light in the later models, which I prefer, the grey interiors were a darker color that look a little better, IMO. The door panels didn't have the map pockets which are unusable anyway unless you're ok with them sagging like an old ladies Ts as the car ages. I had an '89 in high school, and even though there's nothing really special about them, I love the "25th Anniversary" badge on the dash. Also, the seat bottoms were extendable under the knee in the older cars, too.

I really think a good target nation-wide for a clean low mileage (50ish k) stock fox is 6-7k. I'd be happy to find one at 6, unhappy but maybe ok with paying over 7, and would never pay more than 8 unless the last owner did really nice custom work and modification to the car that I would really enjoy.

Chris

Just picked this 90 vert up last week off CL from an older gentleman who drove it to the beach once a month. 45k orig miles- he bought it 6 years ago with 40k miles ,2 owner. Auto, everything works including the windows and CC, bone stock except for flowmasters and 17" rims/tires. I've owned 5 mustangs from show cars to 10 second race cars. I'm at the age where I don't need to be the fastest, I just want to be able to put the top down and drive it anywhere. I may upgrade the alternator, put subframes on it, maybe an electric fan, but really hesitate to do much more. It is super hard to find unmolested fox bodies. These pics are the day I bought it before I cleaned it up. View attachment 144459

View attachment 144460

View attachment 146420

View attachment 146421

View attachment 146422

Wondering what y'all think this is worth? I'd like to think I didn't over pay for it.

Thats before you cleaned it?
Id guess around 8 to 9k. Good looking car but loose the tail light covers, they will get you rear ended, ask me how I know.