What are the differences between a GT and a Mach 1

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
I talked a buddy of mine into getting a stang when he gets back from deployment. He wants a terminator, but i also gave him the option of a Mach 1. He then asked (of course) what the differences were besides the cosmetics, and i had to pause because.. hell, i dont know...

So.. what are the differences? suspension, motor etc...???

• Sponsors (?)

That's the first time I've ever heard that one. 99.9% of the time I hear "It's an '01 Cobra engine". :rolleyes:

The Mach has a twin 57mm Throttle Body.

Hmmm i always recall hearing "Its not the previous Cobra engine, even though it is similar"

The Maruader engine theory is plausible
Marauder 302hp/318 lb/ft
Mach 1 305hp / 320 lb/ft

Both were aluminum 4v 4.6s of the same years.

I guess they just both used the same engine, that was slightly different from the cobra 4.6

I personally see it as a car that slotted itself in a place in between the GT and Cobra. I wonder if we'll see a S197 version of the Mach 1 (giving its retro design, this would be a lot more fitting vehicle to base it on).

03 04 cobras, IRS, Iron Block, Forged internals, Eaton supercharger, 4V, T56 transmission. 03 04 mach, 4V, solid axles, aluminum block TR 3650 tranny. 99 01 cobras IRS, a little slower than the mach cause they have a little lower comp. And i think they have the TR 3650 also. Correct me if im wrong.

Besides cosmetics, in no particular order. Tokico shocks and struts, unique swaybars, lowering springs, specific higher effort rack and pinion, 40mm piston cobra brakes with ABS(larger then 99-01 cobra), 17" spare to clear the front brakes, solid rear, 28 spline axles, 3.55 gears, Traction control, TR3650 transmission or 4R70W in 03 and 4R75W in 04, bolt on subframe connectors, unique mufflers

DOHC engine: WAP Block not teksid, forged crank on manual, cast on automatic, 03-04 cobra heads and cams, port matches exhaust manifolds, 10 to 1 compression, different timing cover and accesories compared to 03-04 cobra

Its late, hard to think, there is alot more but thats the gist.

Besides cosmetics, in no particular order. Tokico shocks and struts, unique swaybars, lowering springs, specific higher effort rack and pinion, 40mm piston cobra brakes with ABS(larger then 99-01 cobra), 17" spare to clear the front brakes, solid rear, 28 spline axles, 3.55 gears, Traction control, TR3650 transmission or 4R70W in 03 and 4R75W in 04, bolt on subframe connectors, unique mufflers

DOHC engine: WAP Block not teksid, forged crank on manual, cast on automatic, 03-04 cobra heads and cams, port matches exhaust manifolds, 10 to 1 compression, different timing cover and accesories compared to 03-04 cobra

Its late, hard to think, there is alot more but thats the gist.

Good list, I've forgotten most of them. The Auto transmission change is a new one I had'nt heard about. What's the deal with that?

I talked a buddy of mine into getting a stang when he gets back from deployment. He wants a terminator, but i also gave him the option of a Mach 1. He then asked (of course) what the differences were besides the cosmetics, and i had to pause because.. hell, i dont know...

So.. what are the differences? suspension, motor etc...???

About 45 hp (thats all I needed to know :D )

Biggest difference is that GTs suck, every high schooler has one, and they are 2V.

Yeah but how many High Schoolers have 10 grand to spend on modifications?

Thank you guys for all of the input. Im trying to convince him to get anything other than a standard GT... not that there is anything wrong with them, they are just everywhere down here.

Thankd again! :flag:

FBD:

Good thinking. In my area a Mach 1 is about $4,000 more than a gt (give or take)... and a Cobra is about $8,000 - $10,000 more depending on mileage and mods.

I have a GT and looking back I should have bought a Mach. If he can swing it a Cobra is the best platform to start modding... but the Mach is not bad at all.

Anything other than a GT FTW!!!