What are the differences between idler arms?

syberjunkie

Sep 19, 2000
KC, BABY!!
I was replacing all of my tie rods and idler arm this weekend, but when I went to put on the new idler arm, it didn’t fit. The new idler arm's hole is about 1/2" whereas the idler arm (old) bracket (the shaft) that is attached to the car is about 7/8" or so. my question is: my car is a 66 v8 with pwr steering, so with that said should the idler arm be "beefier" and they sent me the wrong part or are the M/S P/S V-6 V-8 cars the same and I have a weird idler arm a bracket? The package that the new arm came it was labeled for all 65-6 V8's, so I am confused.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

syberjunkie said:
I was replacing all of my tie rods and idler arm this weekend, but when I went to put on the new idler arm, it didn’t fit. The new idler arm's hole is about 1/2" whereas the idler arm (old) bracket (the shaft) that is attached to the car is about 7/8" or so. my question is: my car is a 66 v8 with pwr steering, so with that said should the idler arm be "beefier" and they sent me the wrong part or are the M/S P/S V-6 V-8 cars the same and I have a weird idler arm a bracket? The package that the new arm came it was labeled for all 65-6 V8's, so I am confused.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

Some idler arms have a bushing that might be missing. Obviously, something is NOT right. Often, after-market parts are made "off-shore" and they are slightly different than OEM components. I'd have to see it to judge.