What are the Fox-body convertibles worth?

TheFleshRocket

Founding Member
Jul 10, 2002
Southern Ill Annoy
I've got my mind made up that I need another Mustang. I want an '87-'93 LX 5.0 convertible. KBB.com lists private party value for the early '90s models in excellent condition with under 100K miles to be in the upper $4k to low $5k range.

I've been doing some shopping and thus far have found a 92.5 (so the seller says) 5-speed with 68K miles that the seller is asking $7600 for. The car has a newer top (withint the last couple of years) but has factory paint which, while it appears to be in good shape, is definitely not perfect. The interior is in very good shape too, with a few flaws.

I've also found a '93 on Ebay with 86K miles. I don't know what the seller's reserve price is, but I'm guessing that it is in excess of $6500, because that's what I offered to buy the car outright. It has a new top and new paint, but was in two accidents back in the mid '90s.

So, are these cars really worth a couple grand more than KBB's private party value, or are these people just asking high prices for their cars?

• Sponsors (?)

Every car is diffrent. What a car is worth can only be determined by what a buyer is willing to pay for it. I purchased my 89 GT vert with 120,000+ miles for $3500 in Chicago. The car needed a paint job, but was mechanically sound. If the car is solid and looks/runs well I would guess a $6000 pice to be OK. Just my opinion.

Unless they have increased in value since I got mine in 2001, I would expect either one to go for anywhere between $5000 and $6500. Probably more around the middle of that spread. My GT needed a few things and had 148k, but was in good shape overall and I got it for $2800. That all white one would be a great car for SoCal. :D Dont worry, I only have $100 to my name right now.

I would agree with above comments about price, however both of the cars you attached are a little bit more rare due to the color shemes, etc. Ford made limited numbers of those cars with colors, so it would explain the price increase that you describled from comparing....I have seen cars with the 'all yellow' package bring upwards of 8 grand with near the same miles as the ones you posted. Either way, both are good looking cars...you cant go wrong. :nice:

Keep searching, you can easily find a clean Vert out there for $4000-$6000 if you want.

Mu buddy just sold a 90 Vert (2 owner car) with 100,000 miles on it, new top, new leather seats, and original decent paint for $4000. It was an automatic GT.

I bought my 90 LX Vert for $8500 ( new top, perfect paint), it was totally done:
Lentech street terminator tranny
Blower
TFS heads
TFS cam
Weld draglites
Performer intake
and much much more.....

I also recently bought a 90 LX automatic coupe with perfect black interior and a GT40 motor, cam, gauges, exhaust, auto w/shift kit, for $2900, but I sold it to buy the 90 Vert,

Do searches on autotrader.com and ebay to compare prices and have fun searching. There are great deals out there.

Howard

In 2000, I bought my 92 for $8500 (ended up being about $9300 after payments) and never regretted it. It was like it came right off the showroom floor, low miles, bone stock. Never had a single problem with it. Sure I could've got one half price but it wouldn't have been as nice.

I've had a car that was USED (not just owned before but pretty well-used!) and upkeep on it was such a bitch. So when I bought my current Stang, which I planned on keeping for a loooong time, I went top-notch.

If it's worth it to you, buy it. If not, don't. That's what it all comes down to at the end of the day, you know.

Bought my 92 GT Hatch 5 speed for $6400 from original owner. Arizona car, so no rust anywhere. Bone stock engine (even paper air filter), perfect leather interior (except driver seat of course) 83,000 miles, guy put the Kenny Brown chassis stiffening kit (strut tower brace, sub frame connectors, and k-member brace) when he first got the car, so i know the frame is straight.
Well worth it in my opinion. You just gotta look into the vehicles history to see if it has been abused or take care of.

I bought a 1990 7-up vert for $6800.00 CDN, i've had it for 3 months
and i have had 5 offers to sale it, and each of them will give me $10,000 CDN .The car has 143.000 KM on it and the motor and tranny have 1000 km on the rebiuld, new top, mint int and the body is perfect. Some will be worth more then others cause of colour and options. Good luck,verts are a blast to drive in the summer, so take your time and buy the one you really want, you wont be disappointed

I also going to depend on where you live, there tons of verts in the south , but barely any up here in new england, supply and demand. also condition, i paid 5500. for mine 2 years ago, with 90k on it, in very good cond, lady owned it's whole life, garaged,and never driven in the rain or snow, it's like brand new underneath. It takes a while to find them but , you will......

Well just try and be patient. A cars value will depend on the condition and mods done to as well. If I were to sell mine and a KBB offer was presented to me, Ii woudln't even make me listen to a buyer. Id say it really depends on the car. There are deals out there just make sure you find one. And dont buy one that was hit ;) Good Luck

Hey rocket you didnt metion what part of the contry your from. As was mentioned the south has a bunch I got my 90 from a very nice older couple that purchesed it from the lease co his compary was leaseing from so bacically original owner. I got mine for a great price and was in top condition because there as quite a few for sale in FL Go on autotrader.com and do a rregional search for the SE and youll see a good amont for sale.

i mite be selling my vert, its a 1990 Gt, red, black interior, its getting a new paint job soon, stalker front bumper, 3" hood, and mods in my sig. its only got 60k+ original miles, i can get pics if you want, email me At [email protected] , i just brought a 92 gt hatch and mite be looking to sell..... looking to get arond 7000ish when its painted....

I went and had a look at the red/white 92.5 on Sunday. The paint was in very good shape overall, but on the passenger side rear, there were several long deep scratches down to the metal. They'd been covered with matching paint, but not filled in, so they're still pretty noticeable. The turn-signal lenses up front were both cracked, and my buddy said he saw a small spot of surface rust.

Also, the air-conditioning needs to be charged and, more importantly, the car doesn't shift right. On anything quicker than a lazy, slow shift, it grinds briefly. The clutch engages less than an inch off the floor, so I'm thinking it just isn't disengaging completely and needs to be adjusted. He said he would look into both problems.

I was planning to offer $7000 if the car was in near-perfect shape (IE none of the problems I mentioned in the first paragraph). As-is, I'd have offered $6500 (assuming the AC and shifting problems were solved), but unfortunately the guy didn't seem very interested in negotiating on his $7600 asking price. He said he'd paid $8500 for it a year (or was it two years?) before and had only put about 4000 miles on it.

Soo, my search continues. The white '93 on Ebay is at $5500 right now. I'm guessing that the guy's reserve price is higher than I'm willing to offer for the car, though.

Xtreme Limits said:
i mite be selling my vert, its a 1990 Gt, red, black interior, its getting a new paint job soon, stalker front bumper, 3" hood, and mods in my sig. its only got 60k+ original miles, i can get pics if you want, email me At [email protected] , i just brought a 92 gt hatch and mite be looking to sell..... looking to get arond 7000ish when its painted....

Sounds like you've got a lot done to the car, but it's not really what I'm looking for. I'm set on an LX and, to be honest, I really dislike the look of cowl induction hoods. The asking price sounds pretty reasonable given what I've seen thus far, though.

Just bought mine in September for $2500. '92 white with black top, 84,000 miles. Recent rebuild on engine (car sat idle for 2 years). Has Sub-frames, bbk cold-air, o/r x-pipes, 3 chamber flowmasters, etc......... Needs some body work, but the price was RIGHT!